1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi O/U Barrels?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OldGoat, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Tried to ask this question on the Perazzi website, but got no responses...so, which 32" Perazzi over/under barrels would be a "best fit" for an MX15? Looking for an O/U barrel (adjustable or fixed rib) which will not require adjusting the comb. Info appreciated. Best Regards, Ed

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Based on your rib adjustment on the MX-15, your comb will have to move accordingly. So there's no standard hight of your stock. To match another O/U for it will leave some open questions.

Assuming you set the Unsingle flat, the closest O/U will be the ones from MX-14.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Not so fast my friend. Many of the older step rib MX-8 barrels will match up pretty closely. I don't know what mine was off of, but, the step rib is darn near perfect on mine.

4. doc boc

doc boc Member

My friend has a mx15 and giacomo fitted an o/u barrel from a mx14, he seems to be happy with it and says he doesn't adj his comb when he switches barrels. doc

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Ed, MX-8 trap and MX-14 O/U barrels have the same rib height as an MX-15. However, that may not be what you want. Here is why you should try several sets on your gun to see what you like for doubles. You may be very, very surprised.

When I owned an MX-15 with a 35" barrel, I shot a high POI, about 22" high @ 40 yards. I was shooting a 3200 for doubles at the time. I decided I'd rather have a combo, so I listened to conventional wisdom and bought 32" (31.5" actually) MX-8 trap barrels from Giacomo. Rib heights were identical; however, the O/U barrels had a fixed rib.

When you establish a bead bird relationship with a long barrel, then substitute a much shorter barrel while keeping the same bead bird relationship, you actually raise your POI. So now your shorter O/U barrels shoot higher than your unsingle. That is generally not what you want for doubles. And it certainly DID NOT work for me.

I was shooting good doubles scores with the 3200. I'd had to build up the comb with mole skin just to get it to shoot 60/40. Then, with my new O/U barrels shooting even higher than my unsingle, I couldn't hit anything. Worse yet, I could not adjust my stock low enough to get me the 60/40 I was used to for doubles. I eventually sold that set of barrels.

Currently, I shoot an MX-2000RS 35/34 combo. I have the unsingle set up for a low POI (about 9" high @ 40 yards). If I just put the O/U barrels on, I still have trouble on the second bird, because I don't seem to be able to learn to hold under it. I'm much better when I can shoot AT IT, but that requires a lower POI for me.

If you shoot a flat POI or a really low POI such as 60/40 you should not have to adjust your comb when changing barrels if the length difference is not substantial. You may even get away with 70/30. With anything higher than that, if you need a lower POI for doubles you need to adjust your comb. The only way around that is to have a higher ribbed O/U barrel.

Think about this for a moment. For the sake of discussion let's pretend you like your unsingle set up to shoot 12" high @ 40 yards (90/10), but shoot your best doubles with a 60/40 setup (3" high @ 40 yards). If you will not adjust the comb to get those POIs when you switch barrel sets, then your only method of adjusting is the raise the rib of the O/U. In this instance, your best combo might be your MX-15 unsingle and an MX-10RS or MX-10 (higher rib yet) O/U barrel. That would give you the higher POI you want for singles and caps, and a lower POI for doubles.

The only way to know it to try it out. If you can borrow a set of MX-8 trap barrels to try, put one of those glowing dot sights on and hold it on with rubber bands. You can put shims under the sight until you get the POI you are wanting for doubles. The more shims you put under the sight/bead, the more you will lower your POI with the same comb setting. Once you establish your preference for doubles, just measure the thickness of shims you added and you'll know what rib height you need to match. Any good Perazzi dealer can tell you how much higher eah model's ribs are.

Basically, they range like this. Sporting and MX-8 are lower than your MX-15. MX-8 trap and MX-14 are the same hight. Then in increasing height comes MX-3 (designed to fire top barrel first), then MX-2000/10RS, then MX-2000/10, then DB-81, then MX-2005. There are other models, but I don't know their relative ribs heights.

If I knew than what I know now, I'd have kept my MX-15 barrel and bought an MX-10 O/U to turn it into a combo that gave me the POIs I want with the same comb settings.

Good luck with your selection.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

By my calculations, if you go from 34 to 30 inches, you would expect a POI rise of about 0.7 inches. Again, if barrels all shot the same in the first place. They don't.

That makes calculation just an exercise in futility. Only testing will tell you anything.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

loking for mx14perrazi over under barrel

low rib perazzi barrels

lower poi perazzi mx10

perazzi trap barrels

shorter barrels shoot higher