1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi not shifting barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbshep, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbshep

jbshep Member

I have an MX-8 that I cannot get to shift barrels after the first shot. Unique because I have tried three different trigger groups. All triggers work fine in the receivers they came out of and when not installed but none will work in this particular receiver. I don't see any restriction inside the receiver that would prevent the inertia block from going back and/or shifting to the other sear.

On closer examination, I discovered that the inertia block does shift to the other sear but pulling the trigger does not release it. I discovered that by firing the first barrel, banging the butt on the bench and then removing the trigger group to observe the sear engagement; it had shifted. When I re-installed the trigger group it still would not fire. That area behind the safety lever could still be the problem. It looks like the inertia block drops back to allow the sear to shift, but stays back as though the safety was on. When the group is removed, the inertia block drops in place. The projection from the safety lever holds the inertia block back just enough to keep the sear from engaging when the trigger is pulled. Now, do I file the safety lever, bend the spring or what?

Where is Giacomo when you need him?Any suggestions gratefully accepted. Thanks - Brad

2. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

Ok, after rereading. Other trigger groups have the same problem with this receiver? Does your trigger group work when out of the receiver?

I had the same problem mimmicked by a intia block spring but that wouldn't explain the diff trigger group not working.

How tight it your stock bolt?

I wouldn't file a thing until the Pgun experts comment.

3. jbshep

jbshep Member

After eliminating everything else I went ahead and took a few swipes with a safe edge file to the safety projection that was keeping the inertia block from completely releasing. That did it! I'll still ask Dan to take a look at it when he is down here again. Thanks to all who replied. -Brad

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Amazing what people have to do to get a Perazzi to work right! I just don't get it!

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I just can't get past that annoying "TA-DING" sound they make when they're fired.

MK

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

That sound is CHA CHING... The sound of a winner getting money... Now..I will say this.. Ta ding.. is a loose rib.. Many Perazzi's.. after many hundreds of thousands of round..will get loose side ribs.. The price we pay for steel expanding and contracting.. If one should backbore a barrel to any extent.. this can happen much quicker.. The price we pay for excellence.. Now.. in Europe..where people don't backbore.. the loose rib thing is much less heard of.. AND.. they usually shoot far fewer targets than the American ATA shooter shoots.. In any event.. if one correctly reblued their barrels.. Say every 10 years or so.. the ribs come off.. and are relayed and soldered..Then.. the problem.. if you want to call it that.. is usually non existant..

Krieghoff and Kolar got away from that by now having sideribs.. The MX3 and MX3 Special.. as well as the MX2L have done well without them.. as well as the MT-6.. It's all in what the public wants..

Saying all this.. Perazzi welcomes any and all challenges..The winners circle is the judge..

Shoot well and often.. All Good.. Mike

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

On the original problem, I had the the sharp top of the inertia block rounded so that it would clear the safety catch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotgun that will not shift barrels after first shot