1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi MX8 Help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hooligan, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

Perazzi's are pretty common in the US however there are not so many in Aus.
    I have been offered an MX8 O/U 31 1/2" bbls, step rib trap gun which has been sourced from the US. It is a fairly old model with a case hardened receiver which has been in storage and is absolutely as new. The only thing that concerns me is the forend iron as I know there are 4 types. I have the gun serial numbers that correspond with the forend iron types but in this case the original may have been upgraded with a later model. Is there any simple way to identify the different forend irons eg. Type 1, 2, 3, and 4. I have sent away to the US for a Perazzi book which will probably have the info I need, however I doubt it will arrive in time before I have to do a deal. Any help will be appreciated.
    Barry

2. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Barry, I seem to remember that Perazzi (Australia) can be contacted via the main Perazzi site...when I enquired a couple of years ago Steve Atkins was the Oz rep, and may be able to help. IMHO if you like the gun buy it...any mechanical fault can be fixed, then it is up to the shooter. Cheers-Graham.

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

K1W1 - Graham. Thanks. Steve is in Echuca and I saw him at the Nationals recently but he is not the Aus Perazzi agent. Steve Haberman in Geelong has the honor at the moment however Rod Flower at A&L in Bendigo also imports Perazzi. Information on older models is not real accurate. I know that the fore-end on Models 1 and 2 had problems and many were upgraded rather than repaired. I just want to know how to recognize the difference.
    Cheers Barry

4. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Barry, You are absolutely correct...I had the name wrong. Failing all else, PerazziBigBore probably has a couple of each in his safe and might post some photos for you when he gets home. Cheers-Graham.

5. David P.

David P. TS Member

Barry, if this is an Ithaca import it probably is a type 3. I have owned one for years and have never had a problem with the wood in the forearm, but keeping the screws in the iron tight are key. I also have a Winchester import, that one is type4.
    Remove the forearm and look at the iron on the hinge end. If there are allen screws (2, one each side) visible on this end it is a type 4. If there are no screw heads in this area it is an older version.
    David

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

To use later models of forearm iron all that is required is to relocate the lug on the bottom barrel. Early, which yours is either 1 or 2 would never stay tight in factory form. When loose they would crack. You can enlarge the holes in the wood, insert bushing that are tight on the 2 screws and glass bed the wood to the iron. This works. New iron is expensive as are the wood for same. $1200-1500 for USD

7. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

The help from all is much appreciated. I have to look at the gun on Monday next and make up my mind pretty much on the spot. I have photos and it is an MX8, 31.5",
    step rib, adjustable monte carlo stock and has been ib storage in Houston TX for quite some time. Absolutely looks as new. It is now with Aus Customs. The seller has said it is an Ithaca import. The only thing that concerns me a little is the case hardened receiver ( which has beautiful color) as that may indicate it is a very early model and maybe type 1 or 2. The asking price is AUD6900.00 or roughly
    US$6500.00. MX-8B, the pix are much appreciated and I have printed. Hopefully
    Karl Lippard's book will arrive in the post over the next couple of days.
    Barry

8. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

Barry What is the Serial No.?? I have a Type ! S/No. 30 ????

9. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

PBB and others are right. It is a 3500-4000 gun. Jake

10. Baber

Baber TS Member

One of the big differences between Type 2 and 3 is the position of the Top Lever release plunger. On type 3's the plunger is at the top of the receiver wheras on type 2's its on the left side of the receiver. I own 2 type 3's one of which has a type 4 top lever and a primo type 1 that I bought via an estate sale. 31xxx and the xxx is a very low number.

Tom

11. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

All the help is very much appreciated. Perazzi guns are expensive here and it is very difficult for individuals who are not licenced dealers to import from the US.
    The police and customs just make it prohibitive. A new gun sales site has opened over here and several local dealers are sourcing guns from the US and several
    US FFL's are advertising on the site. There are a number of desireable guns and some rubbish but most of the good stuff is expensive. The site is worth a look just to see what we have to pay for second hand trap guns sourced in the States.
    This is a link to the site and nearly all the items advertised by Spartanglobal with the exception of Kemen are US guns. They are reputable people however they are in business to make a profit which is fair enough. http://www.austguns.com.au/

12. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Hooli, The MX-3 they have listed with the 30" barrels for 3,500 is a much better deal. Those are very nice guns. I believe Heller and Bonias still shoot them. Jake

13. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

Jakearoo - I take take your point about the value of that MX3 however I know both that particular gun and the dealer. It does not have a high rib and has been ported
    and both these fearures do not do much for me. I had a look at the MX8 I was originally interested in however I have let it pass. Too much money for what it was. The book arrived from the US - Perrazi Shotguns by Karl Lippard - and now I am totally confused. Maybe senility or something. What I have been looking for (an MX8 with a ramp rib of at between 6 and 13 mm) does not exist in original form according to Karl. The book states the highest rib ever made on an MX8 is 3.5mm.
    I guess what I am really looking for is a DB81 with the 13.5 rib or an MX3 Special with a 6.5 rib. The GA88 with the 6.5 rib would also be OK. I guess I will just have to keep looking and shooting my high rib DT10X for now.
    Barry

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

MX8B

There is some mis information here. Cat 4 Forearms actually came in around 1980± not 1970. I have 2 type 3 guns that were made in 1974.

The Top Lever question is more that just location. The design of the lever was changed to a more beefy one because of a number of failures. I have upgraded a couple of Type 3 Levers to Type 4. You can't tell it without pulling the lever.

The photo you show is probably a Winchester Import because it shows a top lever release with a Type 4 Forearm. Shortly after Winchester stopped importing Perazzi a change of location of the Top Lever Release was made to the right hand side of the receiver where is remains in current production.

Tom

15. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Hooligan, don't worry, you're not alone. While it is a great resource, Mr. Lippard's book is definitely not a paragon of clarity. A new, re-organized and updated edition would be most welcome. BTW, since I'm here, please correct me if I've got this wrong...Perazzis were imported by Pachmayr, then Ithaca, then Winchester...is that right? Then D.P. set up Giacomo as U.S. Distributor and then finally set up Perazzi USA. Have I got that right? Also, were ALL the early guns marked with "imported by"? I have a 1970-ish SC1 that is not marked as imported, but has an original monte carlo stock which I assume was not a feature on European trap/pigeon guns. Any information is welcome. -John W.

16. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

You guys know more about Perazzi's than I will ever learn. The big problem over here is the high cost. Mike, after much looking I found an MX2 with an 8.2mm rib at a dealer in the country. Not an "L". Nice gun but not worth 7K he wanted. This is what we have to expect over here. When I see the pixs of the MX8 SCO upgrade
    that MIA has on this site for 5950.00 I feel quite sick!! That gun over here would
    bring 10 -12K at least. A set of new MX8 barrels (not blued or fitted) is 4.2K
    in Aus. Barry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.