1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi MX3 issue (not fully opening 2-3 times a round)

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by ToddM, Jun 15, 2017.

1. ToddM

ToddM TS Member

Just curious if others have ran into this. I have an MX3 Special I purchased in the early 90's at the Grand and had fitted by Perazzi. I haven't been shooting a ton but I've noticed over the years that 2-3 times a round I'll shoot and when I open the gun up it will get to 90-95% of the way, but the last little bit to trip the ejectors is noticeably harder. I don't have to really crank on it, but it's easily noticeable compared to how it opens the rest of the round. The rest of the round it's smooth and easy as I'd expect. A few years ago I was having the same problem and had Perazzi look at it at the Grand they went over it, didn't really see anything wrong but the problem persists.

I thought maybe I was just not opening the gun with the same force during every shot but a couple other people have noticed it as well. I've gone through cleaning everything and making sure nothing seemed to be binding or and was lubed correctly/enough. I notice it more shooting singles/handi but I usually open the gun a bit slower as I collect my singles hulls but dump my doubles hulls. I did try it with a cut down ejector spring, and even no ejector spring, thinking that might make an impact but it still seemed to occur.

Thanks in advance!

Todd

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

put grease on the ejector hook

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

4. ShotStop

ShotStop Dedicatedto keeping gun clubs open and shooting.

Thanks Jack. That PDF looks like a K80. ;-)

JACK thanked this.
  5. ToddM

ToddM TS Member

Plenty of grease on those and they don't feel like they bind up at all.

6. Jaxshooter

Jaxshooter Active Member

Have the top latch spring replaced. Every time the gun is opened the top lever spring is completely compressed. Hard opening is one of the signs the spring needs to be replaced.

7. ToddM

ToddM TS Member

Would that affect only the last little bit of the barrels swinging open or how hard the gun is to break open initially? The first 90-95% of opening the gun is smooth/easy and never changes it's only the last little bit that gets noticeably harder 2-3 times a round.

8. Jaxshooter

Jaxshooter Active Member

That could be the cocking rods. I misunderstood the initial post. I thought it was hard to open occasionally.

9. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Could easily be a bent cocking rod.

10. ToddM

ToddM TS Member

Yeah that's a thought I had, should the cocking rod be loose in the receiver? Both of mine seem to move far enough to fully cock the hammers and then some, and feel like they move smoothly, but they are definitely not "loose" in that it takes some force with a tool to get them to move back and forth, not a lot, but they don't slide easily in/out say with finger pressure.

11. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I think you are playing with the ejector trip rods. MX guns have a single cocking rod.

You might consider having someone who knows what they're doing look at the gun.

12. ToddM

ToddM TS Member

Yeah sounds like it might be time to send it back to Perazzi or Giacomo for a more in depth eval, all the typical things I could check or was advised to check appear to be operating okay. I was hoping to avoid it since last time Perazzi evaluated it they didn't find anything wrong but perhaps sending it to Perazzi or Giacomo instead of just having Perazzi evaluate it at the Grand will get a more in depth evaluation and turn up the cause.

13. Trapduster

Trapduster Member

Have you checked the trigger to see if something in there is binding making it hard to cock. the hammers

14. ToddM

ToddM TS Member

Yeah the hammers seem to move smoothly without binding both with and without the hammer springs in. If nothing else it's a fun mystery.