1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi mx3 barrel repair gone bad???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I took my Mx3 into a reputable gunsmith in Omaha for the gun popping open. This is a fairly common repair from what I understand and generally requires a new H block and a re-mill of lugs to fit the thicker block. Well that is what I thought was going to happen. Then I picked it up and the bill was WAY cheaper so I thought great! But then they told me the H bar was good so they just welded the lugs and re-fit. Me not being a gunsmith eficianado said OK.. Well 4000 rocks later its doing it again and the lugs are worn. I am thinking hmmmmmmmm I wonder if they have taken me down a path of no return??? did my barrel get ruined? can they repair it again and get it like it was and last????I called them and they are ordering a new H bar and said they will get it back going again. They are a good gunsmith but I am truely concerened and dont want to blow the whistle to early but want you guys opinions?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Why not give them a chance to make good before you start accusing?

Eric

3. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Eric,
    Please read the entire post. My thread is posted as a "question" if bad repair not it is. I also said I dont want to blow whistle early. Please dont flame before you read, I am looking for a positive reinforcement of the repair or method of.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I didn't flame you and I did read the entire post. You said the repair was less than you thought because they did not need to use a new H block. Since neither you or I are professional gunsmiths I would trust them to hopefully correct the situation by installing a new H block.

Eric

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Himark. If it is the old style round mono, then you need a new Perazzi plunger nad spring fo rthe top lever. It has been around as a fix for that problme since the mid 80s when Perazzi realized they had a problem with the design. The parts are north of $50 and I recommend you send the gun to Doug Braker to fix. Once he installs the new parts it will no pop open any longer.

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I carry the Action Blocks. They are hard to come by from Perazzi, but I have about 25 in stock.

I also carry the necessary parts mentioned above. Check out my URL above.

Whiz White

7. joehunter

joehunter Member

Call Giacomo sporting. They are the Perazzi experts. They will fix the gun right and you will not have to worry about it.

Joey

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Some early MX-3 had different locking lug/block angles, with the combination of then new metal treatment, it's known to pop open when the top barrel is fired. Perazzi corrected this angle problem on most MX-3 but some got escaped.

Weld up the barrel lugs is a good way to tighten the gun, but not with that incorrect block angle. When they fit the new block to your lugs, this problem will not repeat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.