1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi MX2000 sporting gun question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rampro6698, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rampro6698

rampro6698 TS Member

I am new to this forum, but I had a question that some Perazzi guys might be able to answer:

I just bought a Perazzi MX2000S sporting clay gun with a 3 position adj rib and adj monte carlo stock. It is the Pro Sporter "all clays" model that Bill Battles is selling from North Moat Outfitters. I love the gun in every way, except the bottom barrel seems to shoot about 8" high (center pattern in relation to point of aim) and the top barrel shoot dead on. The paperwork, booklets, receiver for the gun, etc all say sporting on them. But does Perazzi design all its overunder guns to shoot like a traditional doubles trap gun? I just didn't know if mine just happened to have a set of trap gun barrels or if all their overunders shoot this way. Granted, I did not pattern it off a table or bench. I was offhand and only did 2 shots with each barrel (using no. 8 choke on bottom and no. 10 choke on top). But I got the exact same results each time. I had the rib set to the middle notch front and back and comb set for figure 8 sight picture.

I realize this may be a little early to definitely say the bottom barrel shoots higher than the top, and I will keep testing it with the other chokes and using a bench, etc. But I thought someone out there might have some info that I am not aware of.

If indeed I find that the bottom barrel shoots high, can Perazzi or Wilkinson or someone make these barrels so they shoot same POI? Or do I have to get a new set of barrels?

Any info appreciated.

Steve

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

very typical of a sporting gun, Krieghoffs are just the same. Secong bird is usually dropping.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Perazzi does not regulate their trap barrels to shoot that way, nor their sporting barrels. You didn't say at what distance you shot, but for me 8" difference in POI at 40 yards is WAY too much.

Every set of Perazzi O/U barrels I've owned shot within 1" of each other @ 40 yards.

You should do a more thorough job of checking barrel regulation. It may be they are good but you have a bad choke. The easiest and surest way to check this is to set up on a bench with a good rest and shoot at a target paper or grease board at between 15 and 20 yards. Shoot each choke you have in the bottom barrel enough times that you can determine with assurance where each choke shoots POI wise. Discard and chokes that do not strike the same POI. Now take the tightest "good" choke and put it in the top barrel. Where is the POI in relation to the bottom barrel? Once you do this you can decide what to do about any deficiencies. At a minimum, I'd take any defective chokes back to the dealer for replacement.

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

ZZT is dead on..First.. I's swap chokes top to bottom.. and see if the results are the same.. or inverted due to choke.. Now.. are the chokes factory.. and the barrels untouched.. If indeed the patterns are that far off.. return it to the dealer.. Let him return it to Perazzi USA.. for another set of barrels.. Sporting barrels should be dead on.. top and bottom..at any range.. The selectable trigger will fire either first..and shooters use that feature often depending on the coarse you are shooting..

5. rampro6698

rampro6698 TS Member

I spoke to Dan at Giocomo about this and he assured me that ALL Perazzi o/u guns (no matter for trap, sporting, live pigeon, etc) are made to shoot same POI. He also said they are strictly regulated during barrel testing by bench patterning, etc. Therefor, I am sure that this discrepancy is due to my limited testing, etc. I will test the gun further and do it properly. I did not mean to jump to an incorrect conclusion that the barrels were that far off. I just didn't know if trap o/u barrels were purposely set to shoot that way and whether or not the sporting barrels were made differently. I guess it could also be the choke tubes, which I will test as well. I will definitely just shoot the gun at target a lot to get a "feel" for how it breaks them before sending anything off to anyone. Just don't like putting a gun like this in the hands of UPS or FedEx if it can be avoided.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi mx2000s sporting clays firearms