1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi MX2000 - CT barrels vs fixed chokes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by flinter58, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

Opinions please – from those with experience. What is the perceived and/or real difference in feel and swing (move to the target) between a Perazzi MX2000 Un-single Combo with CT barrels and an MX2000 Un-single Combo with fixed chokes?????

2. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

OK I'll bite. Logic would assume that the amount of metal removed for the choke tube installation would equal the amount of metal returned when the choke was in place.

I can't imagine that they'd be any difference in swing.

Regardless I'd vote for no choke tubes.

Smash Em,

Jerry

4. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

Jerry - this was not a trick question to bite at - I shoot a CT gun and am interested in a fixed gun - no one in my home club has a fixed choke MX2000 for me to try - I was looking for advice from someone who had shot both.There may be no difference - I don't know.
    Pappa

5. Sixshooter

Sixshooter TS Member

The fixed choke will be lighter. The reason is the barrel wall is thicker to allow for room for the threads. There are a few ounces difference in the weight at the end of the barrel where a small difference is magnified by the fact it's on the end of the barrel, furthest from your shoulder.

Some people will actually buy fixed choke barrels and add briley choke conversions to get choke tubes without the extra weight on the end of the barrel.

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

sixshooter is spot on. Thats why you'll notice a "bulge" @ the end of most guns w/ screw chokes (most prevalent on K80s from what I've seen). Kinda ruins the lines of the barrels.

7. Jerry944t

OK I can't speak for the new factory overbored barrels since I haven't seen one with choke tubes but I owned both a Perazzi without choke tubes and one with. They were both older, not overbored MX15s, and the wall thickness at the end of the barrel was the same. At least it looked the same.

I do notice that K80s do have a noticeable bulge at the end of the barrel but I haven't noticed that in Perazzis.

I can't imagine that any weight difference, if there truly is one, would be noticeable. Either way if you are shooting a new gun you will adapt to its swing, choke tubes or no choke tubes.

Jerry

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Another reason you'd be better off with thinwalls if you wanted to lighten the barrels in the front, get thinwalls and titanium flush chokes. That way your replacing the same volumn of material, but the titanium chokes will be lighter than the steel that was removed.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Perazzi choke tubes, whether flush or extended, add weight to the end of the barrel. That increases MOI and Polar Moment. If you like the way your barrel swings, changing to the "same" barrel with a fixed full choke will feel like it swings faster. It will also feel muzzle light.

You can simulate the degree of change by removing your tube and swinging it. It will feel a little lighter than a full choke barrel will, because there are threads cut into yours, and fixed chokes are longer than tubes, so you will be missing some additional weight. Taking out your tube, then taping 1/3 to 1/2 its weight in quarters to the end of your barrel should come close.

10. Sixshooter

Sixshooter TS Member

Perazzi barrels are actually larger diameter at the end and not really swaged, that's why they look like a regular barrel. They run the barrel diameter out all the way to the end instead of tappering it and then swaging like Krieghoff. This only further adds to the weight. It does make their barrels look a little better but makes them even heavier.

When I was shopping for a bunker gun for my daughter, I asked Ray Stafford what his thoughts were. He suggested a non-choke tube barrel and if we thought we needed tubes, use Briley as this would keep the gun lighter in the front and therefore faster swinging. Briley of course puts in a very thin wall tube in an existing barrel diameter. They use a different thread that doesn't cut very deep into the barrel wall and a thin thin choke tube.

Mark Zauhar

11. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

So - from all this _ it looks like a non choke tube barrel will swing faster - so if you have been breaking targets with a factory CT barrel you will have an adjustment to make to a "faster" gun......right or wrong?

12. Sixshooter

Sixshooter TS Member

13. Jerry944t

"so if you have been breaking targets with a factory CT barrel you will have an adjustment to make to a "faster" gun......right or wrong?"

Not necessarily right or wrong unless you are comparing apples to apples. Or Perazzis to Perazzis. If you are going from one brand of gun to another then you are comparing apples to oranges.

For instance as an example I will use a Beretta unsingle barrel without choke tubes to a Perazzi with choke tubes. The Beretta is going to be much heavier than any Perazzi, with or without tubes. I know I owned a Beretta and now the Perazzi and the Beretta unsingle is very heavy.

It seems to me that you are going to be busy enough adjusting to a new gun and the new gun will be your standard, choke tubes or not. Just make sure it fits. That's far more important than getting hung up on minute details.

Jerry

14. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I am planning to purchase a MX2000 Sporting gun. I heard all the pros and cons of this subject. A lot of the fixed barrels wiegh 1.57 1.59 kg. I shot a pigeon gun with 1.69 barrels and a MX 2000 with 1.68 barrels. Both were factory CT guns. I plan to order 1.67/1.68 CT barrels. I have been shooting a Beretta 687 gun, to me the wieght of the choke tube barrels feels good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best barrells perazzi fixed chokes vs beretta so fixed

does perazzi make chokes for the mx2000

perazzi fixed chokes

perazzi fixed or screw in chokes

perazzi mx2000 chokes

pros and cons of using fixed choke barrels and interchangable chokes