1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi MX15 Unsingle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Art D, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Art D

Art D Member

I have a new MX-15 which I like very much. I would like to know whatover/under barrel will fit this gun, due to the high Rib? This would allow me to travel with one Gun instaead of two. Your information would be appreciated.

2. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Good question, ttt! bruce

3. birdout

birdout TS Member

I used a MX10 3 notch.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

On my MX-15, I aquired an older, Cat 3. 32" O/U barrel with the higher stepped rib. I had it converted to a cat IV. It fit the gun as it should have, and I had no trouble shooting it at all. Cost to convert the Cat 3 to Cat 4? $150.00. The results were priceless. I had the barrels back bored and choked .015" and .025" and they were perfect... Dan Thome (Trap 2)

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I believe I have the same type setup as Dan T on mine. I wouldn't consider the mx-15 a high ribbed gun though.....the rib height compared to a normal top single is not abnormal...

jim

6. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

What type of o/u barrel has same rib height as mx15? mx10, mx10rs? mx2000 three notch? No pgun rib? Thanks Bruce

7. birdout

birdout TS Member

Giacomo told me MX10, I also had him fit it.Dennis

8. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

A MX-8 or a MX-11 barrel will be as close as you can get to the same height.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

An MX-8 Trap barrel has exactly the same rib height as an MX-15 or an MX-8 Top Single Trap.

Art, you have to be careful here. What will actually work best for you is not necessarily what is theoreticaly "correct".

I had a 35" MX-15 barrel on my MX-2000 receiver. I loved it. I decided to make a combo out of it and bought a set of 32" MX-8 Trap O/U barrels. They were actually 31.5" long. Were they the same rib height? Yes, exactly. Did they work for me? No, emphatically. Why? Because I shot a high POI, 22" high @ 40 yards.

The difference of 3.5" in barrel length made a huge difference. When I raised my shorter O/U barrels to put the bead in the same bead/bird relationship I saw using the unsingle, my POI went way high and I shot over everything. The next step up in rib height is MX-10/2000RS O/U barrels. I'd really have been better off with them. Even higher is the MX-10 O/U. What you really ought to do is use your unsingle barrel as a guage. Determine what POI you shoot with it now. Then decide what POI you want at what distance for the O/U, and what barrel length you want. Then it is pretty simple to figure out what the bead height should be.

I solved my problem by going to a 35"/34" MX-2000RS barrel set. I found a set where the 34" O/U was within 1/4oz of the unsingle, so the swing dynamics were very close to the same. If I ever do this again, both the unsingle and the O/U will be the same length.

If you shoot a flat shooting gun, it doesn't make any difference how long the barrels are, you want the same rib height. When you get into the low POIs, say 6" to 9" high @ 40 yards, 1.5" - 2" of barrel difference in noticeable. At around 12" - 15" high, 1" of barrel difference is noticeable. When you get higher than that, you are better of with the same length barrels for the unsingle and O/U. If you have to have shorter barrels on the O/U, you'll have to raise the rib to compensate. How high a rib you need will be determined by how high you want your O/U to shoot.

10. twostraight

twostraight Member

I have a set of 4 notch adjustable rib barrels that fit perfectly on mine. They are also for sale. Let me know if interested.

11. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I have a set of MX 14 32" o/u barrels for sale. They are as close to new as you'll find. I used them on a MX 2000. Glenn

12. Art D

Art D Member

I would like to know what you are asking for the O/U Barrel My unsingle works fine. You can email me @ dunnarthur@msn.com. Thanks you

13. Art D

Art D Member

ZZT : Thank you for the information and you are absolutely right, in fact after thinking alot about this I contact Dan at Giacomo and will see what he has to offer at the Florida State shoot in Silver Dollar.

I tried my MX-8, 31.1/2 barrel on my Mx15 and it fits but the sight picture is not the same. I have a 1/4" difference between the beads and that will not work for me. i usually stack the Beads and shot about 3 to 4" High at 40 yards.

Thanks for your information it was very helpful. Art

14. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

DB-81 barrels are perfect for that MX15

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
perazzi mx 15 for sale
perazzi mx 15 review

perazzi mx 15 reviews

perazzi mx15 reveiw
perazzi mx15 review