1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi MX15 - Educate me please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GBatch_25, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I am considering the purchase of a Perazzi MX15 unsingle from a fellow at our club. I shot it tonight and mechanically it's in Exc shape. Cosmetically, it would need some bluing work to make it like new. I don't have the manual so need a bit of help.

1. The rib on the barrel pivots in the middle (similar to the Silver Seitz) and has notches for adjustment at the front and rear. I think there are 6 notches at each end. Can someone give me a description of what the POI would be for the notch positions? I assume that if the rear of the rib is in its highest notch, the front of the rib should be in its lowest for the rib to be correctly in position.

2. The gun comes with 4 choke tubes numbered 4, 6, 8 and 10. As a general rule, what would each of these tubes be ? For example, is 10 Full, 8 Lt Full etc? I didn't have my bore gauge with me.

3. Inside a small plastic box are what appear to be 2 spare leaf springs, a tool that looks like a small wrench with a hook on the end, a pin tool for adjusting the rib and 2 small black pins with springs surrounding them. I assume these are the parts for changing the leaf spring and I can get the instructions from Perazzi?

4. I'm told this gun would take a O/U barrel to make it a combo. Are there specific barrels that will work with it? What would the cost of a barrel be?

5. Barrel in exc shape, mechanics also, some bluing work needed on receiver (if desired), wood is not elegant but is in exc shape with a Perazzi adj comb. I believe the barrel is 34" and has 4 Perazzi chokes. Comes in a like new Americase with cordura cover built for a combo. What would a fair market value range be?

If you'd rather email me or PM me, do so.

Email is XXgbatch3@gmail.com (delete the Xs).

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

[​IMG]

The 4 choke is .016 provided there has been no additional back boring of the gun. The 6 is .024, the 8 is .032 and the 10 is .040. Aftermarket chokes will be your best bet as odd numbered chokes do not become available often. Go with Briley.

That box often contains a used lower bbl spring. Guys change them out and then place the used on in the box and keep it as a spare. Providing that it is not a release, change out of the hammer spring is a snap.

O/Us come available. Essentially you are looking for a MX10 adjustable bbl. Others will work, but yo may need to change comb settings to move to doubles. But a lot of guys go thru that anyway. The MX15 is designated as a "Single bbl" Perazzi

I'll email you with a value

Jack

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The pins w/springs are replacement firing pins.
    The Mx10 ou is the closest but not perfect.
    The wrench with the "hook" on one end is for compressing the leaf springs for installation or removal.
    Ou barrels are usually around $3,000. give or take.
    It's unusual to have a barrel shorter than a 34" or 35" but they come in 32", as well.
    $4,500 - $5,000.
    The only disadvantage of this gun is that Perazzi doesn't make anou barrel exactly for it. I wish they did.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Interestingly I use a MX 8 step rib 32" bbl without adjustment for doubles on my MX-15.

5. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Thanks for all the info. The members here are a fountain of info.

Steve, nice pics

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

6. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

As close as you will get as far as O/U barrels and not have to change the comb is -MX-8---MX-11---MX-14 barrels.

7. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Gene the diagram of POI's has a caveat. When you change the rib setting, you must also change the comb height to give a stacked bead presentation in order to get the listed POI.

Buz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.