1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi MX 2005 opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Dan, Jun 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Hi Gents,

I was thinking about upgrading my modified MX5 (see attached picture) to a new MX 2005. There isnt a lot of them about here so i was wondering what your opinions, or if theres some owners out there to give some feedback on what they like or dislike.

My Plan is something like this- Please remenber here in AUS We dont really have a use for the single barrel, so it would be a O/U, and the majority of our shooting is with 1 oz loads (as per rules here) with 1 1/8oz allowed for handicap only.

I was thinking 31.5 inch barrels to around 1.720kg (as thats about the weight of my 30inch current setup with the Bridgeshoot rib attached) with a screw in choke in the bottom tube, and Fixed number 9 Perazzi choking in the top, and an 18.9 bore if possibe. I figure this barrel configuration gives me longer barrel and tighter choke option for Handicap, and the option of opening the bottom choke up for the 16 yard and doubles.

The 2005 barrel can also fit the 2003 and 2008 rib options if i ever wanted to try them too. Also, as i would be happy enough to stick with the coil springs, as my MX5 has non drop out coils, so i was toying with the idea of saving a few $$ and ordering a Perazzi MX2000S action which doesnt have the drop out triggers, and spending the money upgrading the wood on the stock to SC grade.

With the stock, i was going to order the SC grade wood and with a fixed comb, and have an adjustable put in it once its here, as i dont like the way perazzi make their adjustables and also dont like the inconsistency they get when matching up the wood for the comb with the stock. By doing it after it would guarantee the comb is the piece off the stop.

Anyway if there is anything that you might think helpful or if you have been using one of these please feel free to comment.

Regards, Danny

photo-2.jpg

2. TrapperP2005

TrapperP2005 Member

hello,

by the looks of yours, it seems like a 2005 already! ha! by judging your set up, a 2005 would be the way to go. i shoot one as well but i bought the parts individually from ts.com. as far as adjustability, if one likes high ribs, the skies the limit.

on the other hand when you mentioned the stock, since it is such a high rib, either having a custom one made or dealing with the factory is the best way to go from experience. i bought an mx10rs stock and i had to jack the comb way up to get it where i shoot. mentally knowing that there was a huge gap from stock to comb, i think, lowered my scores. really weird i know.. so i purchased a stock on ts.com that fit.. i its either a newer 2005 stock or a tm9 stock. another way you could go is instead of the regular comb, get the factory rubber comb. problem solved! someone on ts is selling a combo for a pretty good price. i know you only shoot the double so if you were to purchase post it and it will sell fast and you would end up paying a lot less rather than building it. wish i would have done that!

stick with fixed chokes! mod on bottom and full on top. ive shot from the 18 21 24 and 26 yard and doubles with ease. no need to complicate things with chokes. but thats MO.

anyways, good luck and hope that helped. sometimes i can go on and on, hope it made sense!heres mine.
    jsawaia_2011_121284.jpg

3. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

I think the combo for sale has 29.5 inch barrels, way too light for me.
    Your gun looks great, I really like the silver action too.
    The bottom choke will give me a little more tolerance when spot shooting the first bird!

4. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

5. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

That's almost perfect Steve. Help me with something, I've always wondered how you guys measure the choke restrictions?

0.020, is that how much smaller than the bore the choke is? I.e if you have an 18.4mm bore ( or 0.725 inch) your choke restricts it by another 0.020?

6. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Ok so an 18.4 bore with a 0.02 choke restriction will pattern tighter than an 18.7 bore with the 0.02 restriction right?

How do you guys compare choke sizes without knowing what everyone's bore sizes are?

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Aussie Dan,

Be careful as you are about to open a big ole can of conjecture about bore size and choke restrictions.

The rule of thumb is that the bigger the bore size the less choke that is needed to achieve the same pattern density. This has been hotly debated a lot in the past here.

Reguardless of what the bore size is marked, you need a bore gage to properly determine what you have. There are manufacturing tolerances to be taken into account.

Here in the States most shoot .020" and .030" restrictions for doubles (reguardless of bore diameter). There are exceptions for quicker shooters and for others that are slower. I've mic'd a few Wilkinson O/U barrels and they've all been in the same neighborhood.

ss

8. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Thanks SS. Nothing's ever as simple as it seems. I just thought that there's 2 things you could refer to that are always a fact- the shot shell goes in all the same size- and it's gotta come out the end sometime some size!

I would have thought the size of the opening at the end of the barrel is all you need to compare apples.

Anyways If there's any more feedback about this model it would be appreciated

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

As far as feedback, I shot one shortly after they came out and really liked the balance and the trigger. The heads-up shooting posture was something new to me, at the time, as the highest ribbed gun I owned at the time was a 90T HPAR.

I couldn't hit squat with gun because the stock was so straight and I really have to have some off-set on a trap stock. I always wanted to shoot one with a right-handed stock to see how it felt then.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mx2003 for sale

perazzi 2003

perazzi mx 2003 for sale

perazzi mx 2005

perazzi mx 2005 for sale

perazzi mx 2005 review

perazzi mx2003

perazzi mx2003 for sale