1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi mx-14 reviews needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shoot n Holler, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

Could anyone tell me what the good or bad points of the mx-14 might be and what the difference might be with say a mx3 or mx8. Would this be a gun you would consider?
    Thanks

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

MX-14 originally came as an unsingle ATA combo, with fixed ribs.

It uses the same plain side receiver as MX-15. Same detachable trigger as MX-8. All parts interchange.

There's nothing bad about MX-14, unless you like the sea shell sculpted MX-8 type receiver.

IMO, if you don't need the adjustable rib, this would be a perfect model for ATA shoot. If you do want adj. rib, you'll need a MX-15 (single only).

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Learn about barrel weight. The 14 has a steel rib. and it is ussually heavier than the alum rib MX15. I do not thinnk the 14 compares to the older MX3 and MX8 guns. Unsingles and top singles are different animals to most shooters.

I recommend you shoot a 14 for 100 bullets and see if youlike it. But I can tell you that really good MX14s show up with regularity. moreso than 3s and 8s

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I shoot an MX 14-L combo and am very happy with it. Still trying to figure out the O/U on doubles though.

Steve

5. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I have shot only this gun-MX14L since 2004. Very nice gun and is a work horse.
    Not a gun to sell as you will keep it for many years. Enjoy it and shoot it well.

6. wlc

wlc Member

I had one and enjoyed shooting it. The single barrel is quite heavy compared to some other single barrels. The only thing I didn't like about mine was the fact that the o/u barrels shot 50/50, the single shot about 4"-5" high at 30 yds. I couldn't switch without a comb adjustment. Perazzi USA told me they make them that way although other shooters have said their o/u barrels shot a little higher. Shoot one before you buy, if it works for you they are as good as any Perazzi.

7. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

Thanks to everyone your response help a huge amount. I was looking to get a lighter gun so the response was just what I needed.

8. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

wlc,that's exactly where my O/U bbls. shoot.

Steve Elliott

9. plaw

plaw Active Member

Been shootin one for 3 yrs. , put a rad system on it but if i had it to do over i would have bought a PFS and put on it..

10. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

Jack/Steve/Rich, how does barrel weight and rib height of MX-14 compare w/ that of DB-81?

thanks

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, if the MX-11 is a very similar gun but with a Top single did it have a selectable or Top first trigger ?

12. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

Most 14 single barrels weigh around 1.70 - 1.74kg. The O/Us were generally the same although some were made w/o side ribs like a 3 Special and that gets the weight down to the low 1.6kgs. DB 81's typically run close to 1.78-1.8kg.

MX 11 came with selective trigger. DGG

13. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Steve, the rib is higher on the MX-14. On the unsingle,I also think you will find that the DB81 shoots a little flatter.Obviously that can be adjusted with the comb.

Steve

14. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

Other way around. DB 81 ribs are 18 mm or ~13/16" the MX 14 is 1/2 that at 8mm. Both are known as flat shooters. DGG

15. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I don't know about your MX-14 but my rib is 22 mm (7/8") or the top of the barrel on the unsingle to top of the rib is 30mm (1 3/16") high.

16. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

This may clear it up some. Top pair is DB 81. Bottom pair is MX 14 with std unsingle.The O/U's really show the difference. DB 81 is in MX 10 class height while the 14 is standard MX 8 Trap height.

cazadore_2009_05086.jpg

17. plaw

plaw Active Member

been shooting mx14 for about 3 yrs. I like it but had to put a rad syst. on it as i have had shoulder surgery.would like to have a mx10 but my cash flow says save my money for shot................

18. doc boc

doc boc Member

I'm shooting a 14 combo for some 6 months and love it. i use the single for trap and the o/u for sporting. great combo doc

19. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I bought a set of MX 14 O/U barrels and had them fitted to my MX 15 unsingle. When I switch out the unsingle barrel and put the O/U barrels on without adjusting the comb, it seems my ability to hit targets is very adversely impacted. Suggestions? I tried patterning (just a few shots) but saw little change at ~25 yards. Comments appreciated. Regards, Ed

20. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Yes. Take both barrels to the pattern board to figure out where they are shooting. Use Neil Winston's 13yr method. The ribs are not the same height which is why you are having issues without moving the comb. You need to understand where the O/U is shooting and most likely will need to adj the comb every time you switch barrels. I have an MX2000 fixed rib O/U on my MX15 and it works for me without moving the comb, but everyone is different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mx 14 perazzi
mx8 vs mx 14 trapgun
perazzi mx 14 problems

perazzi mx 15 reviews

perazzi mx14

perazzi mx14 combo review
perazzi mx14 review
perazzi mx2000 review