1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi MT-6

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gjmen, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjmen

gjmen Member

Can someone out there tell me a little about the MT-6. I am looking at one and it seems like a nice gun. I was curious if they had any issues, what was the quality of these guns? The front of the barrels look to have a block attaching the 2 barrels together. It doesnt look like a typical barrel hanger. Since this ia a non removable trigger, is it harder or more expensive to work on? Any info would be greatly appreiciated. Thanks, gjmen

2. gjmen

gjmen Member

Gary, what does that mean? Barrels separating? Please explain. Thanks, gjmen

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

How much are they asking for it?

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

MT-6 was named after the '76 Olympics in Montreal, it was the first Perazzi with choke tubes as standard feature.

The original MT-6 had unique forend attachment, does not interchange with any other Perazzis, it's unique groves on the receiver was not very appealing to collectors and shooters, although it's a great gun with Perazzi quality, resell value remained the lowest among old Perazzi O/Us.

The late production MT-6 changed to flat, blued receiver and type 4 forend, they worth more on today's market.

The non-detachable trigger with coil springs doesn't require frequent spring change and it's barrel selector on safety lever is considered a plus for a used gun.

If you can find one in good condition, it's a good buy for it's low price.

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Steve W. I had one I bought new in 75 (serial number 47) and kept it until it was stolen. Because it was made for the 76 Olympics they were quite rare until after the games were over. I never had a lick of problem with it and actually liked the trigger over the leaf spring removables. I did not like the oversized white enlongated sight on mine and had it filed down, and a center bead installed.

Because it was primarily a live bird gun, it was really too fast for me to master and its right handed stock kicked me bad. After I got a rough inletted stock from Bishop in Warsaw Mo, I was able to take the recoil and learned to shoot it with great success. I still wish I had mine. The retail price was between 2200.00 to 2400.00 at the time and I thought I have seen used ones bringing more than that today.

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Rick, It's a shame you lost the gun to a thief.

The leaf spring made it's reputation from the English guns, not necessary has meaningful advantages over coil springs, the MX-12 Kim Rhode used to win 4 Olympics and countless Int'l events has coil springs is a perfect example.

Any Perazzi bought in the '70s will bring a profit if you sell it today. I just wish I bought more Fabbris in the '70s, they didn't cost much more than a Perazzi back then. :)

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Steve W

I did not mean to down play leaf springs over coil, I think it is a personal choice, I just prefer coil.

I remember the Fabbris', but don't see any now days. They were not advertised as much as the old standards. Lot of guns of days gone by, fallen by the wayside.

I have a 1975 catalog of shotguns and pricing, I am sure others have these and even older issues. Fun to look at suggested retail prices at the time:
    Winchester Super-X with vent rib...$275.00....Winchester Model 12:...$399.95
    ....Remington 1100:....$239.95.....Remington 870:...$179.95
    .....MX8... $1674.000..extra trigger $75.00...extra stock $85.00...Remington 3200...$590.00.....Browning BT-99...$350.00..Perazzi Comp 1..$995.95..Krieghoff Vandalia Trap $1695.00 to 6995.00 (would like to have one of these)

(Guns Annual Winter 1975 Vol. 3 {412})

8. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I have two, both Type4's. One has 70cm barrels and the other 74cm barrels. Everything about them is Perazzi. The action body is shaped slightly differently and I think it is somewhat less attractive than the MX8 shape. But I don't see that when I'm shooting so it's hard to GAF about it. Same way with the springs. They work so who cares coil or leaf? Weight, balance, etc all indistinguishable from my Mirages and MX8. Fine guns IMO. I would not hesitate to buy another if I saw one I liked.

Neither of mine is for sale

9. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

MX series barrels will fit with the correct forearm hanger, the MX stocks WILL NOT interchange. Giacomo or Tony DiSimone can make it like new for a couple of hundred.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
perazzi forend interchange
perazzi mt 6

perazzi mt-6

perazzi mt-6 for sale
perazzi mt-6 springs
perrazi m76 to buy
perrezzi mt 6
restoring perazzi mt 6