1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PERAZZI MT-6 TRANSITION PERIOD ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jawingsr, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawingsr

jawingsr Member

TIME FRAME(year), THAT THE 1976 "STRIPE RECEIVER" WAS CHANGED TO A ALL BLUE FRAME,(NO STRIPES), RECEIVER WITH A "TYPE 4" F/E AS I HAVE SEEN DESCRIBED ON TS, BY THE MANUFACTURE AND SERIAL # RANGE AFFECTED ??? ANY BLUE RECEIVER MT-6 PICTURES AVAILABLE, SEEN PLENTY OF STRIPE RECEIVER GUNS AVAILABLE BUT NO ALL BLUES !!! ADVANTAGES OF ONE VS. THE OTHER ??? ANY KNOWLEDGE OUT THERE WOULD HELP, BOOKS, CATALOGS, ETC. IN PRINT TO PURCHASE. THANKS, JIM

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

no advantage in any case. They even made some with color cased

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The advantage to a Type 4 MT6 is that any type 4 square monoblock barrel can be fit to it with relative ease. If you want to put a different barrel on the striped receiver, you have to have the barrel lug changed as well, or find a type 4 forend iron to match the barrel. In other words, it would be significantly easier and cheaper to swap barrels on a type 4 MT6 than it would be on a pre-Type 4.

4. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

I think around 1980-(1979 to 1982?) production, they changed the MT-6 to type 4, and rolled the serial numbers into line with the rest of the O/U's. They discontinued the stripes and the unsingle barrel combo at the same time.

There are always some gray areas as to S/N, manufacturing date, proof date, cataloging, and availability date; especially so during this period of transition (new factory, new importers, etc). Lippard's book has the serial numbers. GAP

5. jawingsr

jawingsr Member

skeetman, so as long as the/any barrel set has the correct type 4 f/e lug on it, that or any barrel set with that type 4 f/e lug should fit or can be fitted to a later model "blue receiver mt-6 type 4 f/e gun", and is there any difference between original stripe receiver's vs. later model blue receiver's other than the cosmetic's/finish ??? thanks. jim

6. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I believe that the stripe receiver will not accept any but the round mono-block type bbls. MX3 bbls have the rounded mono-block and "look" the same but they may not fit the stripe MT6 either.

As EuroJoe mentioned there were case colored ones as well but I don't recall ever seeing any but the later T4 receivers w/ cc, and way few of those.

Perazzi liked the MT6 it seems and makes essentially the same gun still w/ a different designation.

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

All the MT-6s were square monoblock guns. The striped receivers had a different forend lug, forend, and corresponding forend iron that doesn't interchange with anything else. AFAIK, all the striped receivers are this way, and all the flat receivers are Type 4, but I'm not 100% on that.

"so as long as the/any barrel set has the correct type 4 f/e lug on it, that or any barrel set with that type 4 f/e lug should fit or can be fitted to a later model "blue receiver mt-6 type 4 f/e gun","

As far as I know, this is correct. I don't know if there is any mechanical difference b/w the receivers themselves though.

The MT-6 is basically the father to the MX-12 and the MX-2000S (square monoblock, fixed trigger guns).

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

My dear friend K.L.'s book had some misinformed data in it, we should use it as second ref. only.

MT6 were still in production till 1985, possibly '86. However, not all Perazzi ser. #s were unified, even well into Perazzi USA Rome NY era.

The blue receiver MT6s were all type IV guns. It started 1980. The closest relative is Granditalia. Virtually the same gun as a type IV MT6 except some rib and choke arrangements. The CC receiver MT6 had the exact same color pattern as CC Granditalia. It started right after Ithaca era like the Granditalia.

To answer the question regarding advantages from older MT over the type IV MT is solely depend on how you look at it, the original MT6 was a state of the art gun at it's time, it utilize a new forend design similar to James Purdey's, it worked, but it's not interchangeable with any other Perazzis, it's less desirable among some Perazzi owners.

IMO, MT6 is one of the most undervalued models.

9. 4painter

4painter Member

i have a o/u mt6 for sale, new sco wood with new adj. comb, factory lop, and type 1 tubes, stripped reciever, comes with releese triggers.2699. plus shipping. steve 8018309995

10. 4painter

4painter Member

i have a o/u mt6 for sale, new sco wood with new adj. comb, factory lop, and type 1 tubes, stripped reciever, comes with releese triggers.2699. plus shipping. steve 8018309995.

11. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

Steve, I've got a Winchester import Type 4 gun CC receiver. Based on Proof marks, I believe a 1979 gun.

12. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I am still looking for mine, which was stolen.

S/N 100047.

13. jawingsr

jawingsr Member

IS THERE ONLY (2) TYPES/STYLES OF F/E's THAT WERE USED IN THE PRODUCTION HISTORY OF THE MT-6 ??? TYPE (4) AND THE ORIGINAL TYPE (1) I TAKE IT ???

14. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Yes, MT6 started with it's unique FE (not type I) at the end of type III period, then change to standard type IV.

15. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I switched from a MX8 to MT6 for sporting the switching barrels on the MT6 is a lot easier than screwing and unscrewing chokes. I could buy a external selective trigger but my loan officer said how much ? For a trigger ? 1/2 the price of my MT 6. Steve is correct they are the best value in a Perazzi especially for sporting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
history of the oerazzi mt6
perazzi mt6

perazzi mt6 history

perazzi mt6 serial number
perazzi mt6 serial numbers
perazzi mt6 type 4 striped
serialnumber when mt6 perazzi changed to type 4
what other barrels fit perazzi mt6