1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi malfunction??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

This last weekend I took my daughter to shoot Olympic Trap at Paris Tn which is a try out for the Olympic camp in Colorado, She did great, missed the top 6 by 1 target.. but... hehe there is always a but, she shot 5 rounds, on round 3 her MX8 would sometimes not fire the top barrel, it happened 5-6 times, I pulled the trigger, re cleaned everything and sprayed it with remoil.. on round 4 it did it 2-3 times, the firing pins are floating just fine, on round 5 it did it once.. one of the kids shooting next to her said the gun snapped but didint fire, the shell (factory federals) had no mark on the primer, and all eventualy fired.. When I have the trigger group in my hands I cannot make it not snap both times.. also are the triggers supposed to be recoil activated? when its in the gun the first one snaps, you have to smack the recoil pad to set the second one.. any ideas? thanks!

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Inertia triggers need recoil or a tap on the butt to reset for the second shot. You can also flip the safety to the on postion then back to off.

Check the top bbl firing pin spring to see if it has broken or collapsed.

Also check the top firing pin to see if the "inner pin" has come loose from the firing pin body.

Lastly, install a new top bbl hammer spring.

Doug

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If a "snap" was heard, the trigger cruciform may be worn. The sear will "snap" off the cruciform and make a noise, but the hammer will not fall. Sometimes, the trigger can be pulled again and the gun will fire.

If you have a selectable trigger, change it and see if both barrels fire consistently. If so, send the trigger to a good repair service.

4. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Its a non selectable tirgger.. thanks!

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Nothing to add..

6. shark1

shark1 Member

Reads like a tune-up is needed. Change the springs in the trigger group and you should be good to go. Same thing happened to me years ago. It is a simple fix call Whiz White and he should have the proper parts. Michael Sharkey, DC

7. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Wouldn't the hammer spring have to be really weak to not leave any mark at all in the primer? Changing the spring may work but it may just cover up the real problem such as the one described by Shooting Coach. JRM

8. shark1

shark1 Member

All the springs should be changed. Not just the hammer! Michael Sharkey, DC

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Re-check the INERTIA block for nice movement, was she shooting lite shells?
    Inertia block return spring may be too strong, or it is not going under the sear properly to trip the other hammer, A diamond file dress up may be in order.

The MX-8 is an older gun and may need checked out by a Perazzi Expert like Giaccomo call him at 315-336-1356 and tell him your problem.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

GunDr mentioned to check the top barrel firing pin to see if the "inner pin" may be loose----
    I second that and will go a step further – put a new firing pin and spring in for the top barrel and try it….
    In my limited experience – when my Perazzi starts snapping on occasions and gets worse – and I see nothing broke --- changing the firing pin makes the problem go away---
    If the inertia block is resetting and it is snapping - my bet goes on the firing pin -

11. wanderer

wanderer Member

Shooting coach:

What is the "cruciform"? First time I have heard of this. Thanks, G.E.G.

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The hammer spring could be very weak because it has a crack in it. It'll still snap, but not with authority.

13. Baber

Baber TS Member

There is a whole host of things that might be wrong. Springs, sear, Firing Pins and even a cracked hammer. You would be way ahead to just send it to Giacomo and say "FIX".

Tom

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Could also be the firing pin spring.

Not a Perazzi, but I have had a broken firing pin spring, not push the firing pin back far enough back so that the hammer won't hit the back end of the firing pin hard enough to drive it into the primer.

15. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

All valid statements. But difficult to pin point the real problem in one particular case.

Second hammer doesn't set, or doubling, are something hard to diagnose over the phone or internet, needs to have it in hand to check. I worked on a few, problems caused/solved by cleaning, spring tension, worn release tree, sear, and firing pins etc.

You may clean it, change the springs and firing pin to see if it solve the problem before send it to a competent gunsmith. If you'd like to do so, call Whiz for all the springs.

16. JES

JES Member

I had a similar problem with my MX3 Special, I had springs, trigger, went through a couple of gunsmith's. It would be working fine and the same thing would not fire the second shot, finally sent it to Laib's gunsmithing, check out the website to understand what I am talking about - once the metal was reenforced it never had a problem again. Great work and fixed my problem.

17. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Now that I know its inertia activated.. It has a soft touch stock, could that possibly have anything to do with it? the other thing I dont understand is why it will fire both times,everytime when I have the group in my hands but when it in the gun its inertia activated.. snap once, smack the butt, snap twice.. thanks!

18. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Soft touch, G-Square, PFS of any recoil devises and sub gauge tubes will have great effect in resetting inertia trigger. PFS shooters have to lock the stock to shoot doubles.

Try fire the trigger out of the gun, without touching the inertia block, you'll see the second hammer will not fire, only when you manually pull back the inertia block you'll see how it works.

If this is the case, add weight to the inertia block will solve the problem, I glue a piece of lead tape on it.
    A friend of mine cut two small piece of the magnetic tape from the back of her real estate agent's stick-on card and it worked.

Of course you can also send it to Perazzi USA for a new inertia block.

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

24 gram loads + soft touch + inertia triggers = missfire second shot

20. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Here are a couple of videos i took with my phone, holding the trigger with one hand once in my left once in my right, the triggers snap both times, is the inertia block the part at the far right? if so it goes forward after each snap and both will fire..

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/blkcloud/?action=view&current=0524101852.flv&newest=1

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/blkcloud/?action=view&current=0524101850.flv&newest=1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

malfunctions perazzi

perazzi wont open after firing