1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi knowledge

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by finger, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. finger

finger TS Member

It should not. If it protrudes after firing you need to have it fixed. You will break the pin at best if it sticks out. Pull the pins and clean the pins/springs and holes. If it still protrudes I'd have someone look at it. bob finger

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It shouldn't protrude at all in the fired position. It's got rebounding hammer and a firing-pin return spring.

Neil

3. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

squirt some wd40 in the pin hole,it won't hurt and it once fixed a similar problem for me.

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

Remove your stock and take out the pin that holds the firing pins in place. Take out the firing pins and there should be one spring per firing pin. Check the firing pin for damage and that the springs are ok. Clean out the firing pin hole and blow out with compressed air. Reassemble. I do this before every registered shoot. You will be amazed at how much crud builds up in the holes.

5. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

It may also be time for a new firing pin. They can begin to "mushroom" and will not fit back through the pin hole.

6. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Sturgeon,
    Mr. Winston has it correct for the fired position. Did you mean you want the Firing Pin protrusion distance? at time of Firing?
    Jet Boat Bill Life Member ATA 37-13955

7. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Sturgeon,
    To the best of my knowledge, solid breech firing pin protrusion was established by SAAMI(A long time Ago!)The distance should be .040 to .055 inches. (To the best of my memory) This can only be measured on an MX-8 type receiver by removing the butt stock. Each hammer must be pressed forward manually until it contacts the back of the receiver. (This removes the slack from the rebound position.)Then a precision depth micrometer is used to measure the distance from the face of the breech block to the end of the firing pin.
    I keep my MX-8 and TM-1 in these ranges and this has worked well for me since 1988. After 15K shells, the old style TM-1 pins will mushroom on the back side and give you shallow impressions. The new style Perazzi TM-1 pins (where the core pin extends all the way thru the center to the end) have gone 20K and not shown any change in length. The MX-8 pins seem to go on forever, but I normally change them out @ 25 K hits just for piece of mind.
    PLEASE NOTE this protrusion distance does not apply to other bolt designs I.E. 1100/1187/870 uses the inertia energy of the spring, hammer & pin to accomplish a primer strike. Remington has a special copper part that goes into the shell base in order to determine proper primer dents! The Rem. booth at the Grand used to check your "pin energy" upon request with this device.
    Please note that chamber rims and recesses and ammo rim configurations vary which will cause failures to fire. All these dimensions are established by SAAMI, but in the great rush to maximize profit, mfg.s and backyard repairs have caused an increase in the failures to fire (in my opinion).
    Respectfully submitted,
    Jet Boat Bill ATA Life Member 37-13955

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.