1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Info Please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RSVP410, Sep 21, 2013.

1. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

I am getting interested in Perazzi and am confused by all the models and type designations and what will fit on which ones. Does anyone know of a website or reference that explains this?

Are the guns imported by Ithaca the same as those sold directly under the Perazzi name?

Do parts from an MT6 exchange with an MX8...ect?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Scott

2. Rich Davis

Rich Davis Member

Cal Al at 626-334-1234. that's Perazzi USA.

3. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

See above

Chip

4. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

The best reference would be the book "Perazzi shotguns" by Karl Lippard.

Ithaca was the main U.S. importer through the entire 1970's. The guns are the same as guns built during the same period by Perazzi, except import marking.

The early MT-6 has few parts that interchange directly with the MX-8 and others; stuff like ejectors, springs, screws, etc. Later MT-6 was updated so the fore-end and barrels became the same or similar to other models, parts can exchange though they aren't the exactly the same.

Insight? Just remember you get what you pay for, and it costs for a clean, numbers matching, type 4 gun - good luck, GAP

5. drgondog

drgondog Member

All the above comments are sound.

I might take exception to a comment that Type 4 is only good value if that is what Gapper meant.

Except for the design of the forend/forearm the Type 3 and Type 2 are the same as the 4. In good shape and the right price they are all great guns.

I have a Type 1 SC3 that I have shot trap and pigeons with for nearly 45 years and it still locks up like a bank vault. I have had the locking lugs welded and refit (rather than buy new and re-fit) as the only repair.

I would recommend that you look at older MX8/Mirage/Comp I if you want drop lock triggers or MS80 or Grand Italia if you want coil spring triggers. You can find them in good to very good condition for $3,500 to $4,500 all day long if you search thoroughly.

Look for a.) all matching serial numbers, b.) top lever distinctly right of center, c.) stock gun with no porting unless you believe they really do a lot of good. If you going to shoot Sporting or use your new Perazzi to shoot everything I would also look for Briley or Perazzi factory screw in chokes.

I like to look at the knuckles of the action for galling and look at the firing pin holes for elongated 'not round' shape - both signs of either abuse or extended wear.

I bought a Mirage Pigeon gun made in 1971 last year in Excellent shape with 100% color case hardening for $4500 last year - virtually 'as new' Type 3 that in my opinion is a slightly better gun than made today.

Regards,

Bill

Regards,

Bill

This forum has many good deals

6. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

To much information to know over the years what interchanges type 2 /3 /4 I proceed slowly til you know what you want and what price point would be comfortable with. This is a very interesting post as the deceision is not an easy one lots of variables. Too much to post here you can PM me for a phone number I will be glad to talk to you about Perazzis.

7. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

To clarify:

Good values can be had in any vintage Perazzi - though I generally recommend type 4 guns for the best resale, also parts/service, but mostly because the early type 3 or earlier guns are pushing 35 years old, at least.

These are competition guns that were made to be fired many times. Sometimes too many.

The early types are tougher to find in excellent condition, owing to the fact there's less of them and many of those were butchered or used-up.

Just my 2 cents; caveat emptor.

GAP

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Original condition type II

9. drgondog

drgondog Member

Steve - all true up to the point of what you pay for a Type IV versus a near equal Type III.

That photo is of a Comp I in near new condition - or expertly reconditioned.

Nice.

10. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

There are some people that think the older guns were made better like most older guns. That is just a thought the secret is finding one in excellent condition at a fair price. I have a type 3 MX8 32 in for doubles a MX3 30 in for sporting and a M3# special 27 1/2 in for hunting. It took a while but shopping for a older Perazzi at a good price was wonderful fun and shooting them even better they are so lively in hand and quality is proven over time.

11. drgondog

drgondog Member

Old One Eye - I couldn't agree with you more.

I had a long exchange with Al Kondak discussing my opinions regarding Perazzi price points.

One lasting point that I emphasized is the innovations by Perazzi which are contemplated for future must somehow move guys like me that grew up with Perazzi when they were $700-#2000 dollar guns for Comp I, Mirage, MX8 are not easily moved to standard Grade MX8/Mirage Type IV at $10,000. The older guns hold up too well to make that sale of new over old an easy one to make.

All the high rib/adjustable rib, adjustable stocks, etc are interesting and for the rare shooter that truly uses any of those features to win consistently? - well he/she will buy them. But looing around at the shooters that win a lot doesn't identify many of those types.

Perazzi has become even more 'bespoke/custom' job shop than in the past trying to keep up with orders which vary in almost every case from the preceding order - which really makes it tough to reduce manufacturing costs for labor. Putting out three different trigger groups, several types receivers, multiple ribs also make purchasing and manufacturing processes more complicated with more opportunity to screw an order up causing customer sat issues, increased costs and increased prices.

Short summary, the older guns hold up better than any older Purdey or Holland and they undercut the new Price points with the market that can afford to buy.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I have a 1976 MX8 and a 2000 MX15. By design, the forend is superior on the newer guns. Other than that, I can't tell the difference. I know the Type lV's receivers and mono blocs are made on a CNC but the fit on the old one is better.

Search tags for this page

info on perazzi mx8

perazzi mx trapshooters info

perazzi mx12 sc3 elongated firing pin holes