1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi imports, 1970's question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rick Barker, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Perazzi imports, 1970

I am most likely wrong about this, but I thought Perazzi was imported by Ithaca and only Ithaca during the 70's and Winchester came into the picture after Ithaca folded. I have an old 1976 Ithaca catalog which advertised the MT6 (I once owned a MT6 #100047 which was stolen) and I noticed the TM1 was not advertised. Were certain Perazzi models imported by Winchester and others by Ithaca?

My TM1 has the Ithaca name stamped on its' barrel, but in another post, "train222" who is showing pictures of his beautiful TM1, which he just restored, says his TM1 was made in 1973 and was imported by Winchester.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

There were plenty of Ithaca TM-1's and they have parallel, fairly wide ribs and they are still going strong. I think, but am by no means sure, that the Winchester ones had tapered ribs.

Neil

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Perazzi were imported by Pachmayr, Abercrombie & Fitch, Ithaca starting early '70s, then Winchester in late '78, before Perazzi USA was formed in Rome, New York in '79. There's no overlap between Ithaca & Winchester imports.

4. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

+1 to what Steve W posted.

Bruce

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Steve. Puglisi is in that early picture as well. Can you fit him in time-wise?

6. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Steve & Bruce

Thanks, I thought what you said was so. I just at a lost how someone would have a 73 vintage marked Winchester and why the TM1 was not in Ithaca's 76 catalog, because I was certain they were available at that time. I know the Comp I made its' appearance in the earlier 70's, maybe Ithaca left out the TM1 to promote the Comp I.

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

The Comp 1 (aka SC1) and the TM1 are two different guns one is a single barrel and the other is an O/U. The SC1 was discontinued in 1974. I recall that winchester did not take over till the late '70's and they only imported them for a year or two. If you are seeing a 1974 'Winchester' gun it might be because the barrel was added later. Incidentally I have the 140th Perazzi ever made and it has no importer marks on it. Don't know how it got into the country. Sat is a guys safe for 40 years unshot. Bought it via an estate sale.

Tom

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

My TM-1 Ithaca import is a 1973 vintage 200X # I think the 1st TM-1 serial # started with 71

9. shark1

shark1 Member

I have and use a comp1 (SC1T)for trap. The gun was imported by Ithaca and made in 1974, (XXX) date code. I fell this is the most kick ass gun, I have ever shot. Older Perazzi quality is basically hand built. The engraving was done by hand. Balance is second to none. This is just my opinion. Mike Sharkey, DC

10. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Folks,

I own a Winchester import TM-1 (SN 74xx) that I purchased new from Ray Stafford supply in Dec., 1980, which I think was early in the Win imports. It has the standard parallel rib as did the Ithaca imports and the tapered ribs were just starting to show up but RS didn't have one. Otherwise they are identical guns to the Ithaca imports. It came with the dark maroon leather(?) hard case with a green interior. By the way, also with a coil spring trigger.
    Great piece but shot flatter than the proverbial fritter and had Tom Sietz adjust the POI to 80/20 before I could hit anything with it. He also did his 0.740" backbore, choked to 0.708", and to my eternal regret, I let him port it with his drilled pattern and it was included with the barrel job.

No, it's not for sale....

Larry Addison

11. Mono3811

Mono3811 Member

When I was a Perazzi dealer in the early 70's, the first single barrels we received, were Comp 1's. They had the case color receivers with a scroll
    engraving scene. They also had a large forend without finger grooves. This
    would have been in late 1971 or early 1972.
    The 1972 Gun Digest has a color photo of a high grade Comp 1 in the Ithaca
    ad.

12. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

My oldest TM-1 is # 396. I also have # 398 and a couple in the 2xxx and 4xxx range, all Ithica imports.

Ed Yanchok

13. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I owned a TM1 with serial # 77,if I remeber correctly. It is all original & never touched. Have never seen a gun pattern that tight. It is truely a gun to shot from the 40 yard line(5 X 40.) We showed it to Giacomo at the Grand & he said he hand built the gun. A good buddy & myself sell the gun back & forth to each other every couple of years. The other guy always has first right of refusal at a fixed price.

14. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I have an Ithaca SC1T as well. When I'm on, it powders the targets. So any issue is with me and not the gun! My friends pick it up and remark how heavy it is, until the put the gun up. It is perfectly balanced.

15. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Bought couple racing strip with 4 choke tubes new in 79. At that time
    Win had started importing but mine marked Ithaca. They were called Comp IV -
    guess because of 4 tubes. Also had an early MX 8 with no importer markings.
    Sold one - other still in training.

Doyal

16. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

I own #155 TM1 Still a Great Shooter...Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ithaca import perazzi model tm1

ithaca mt6

mt6 1972 shot gun
what year did winchester have perazzi imported