1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi help- What model action is this?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Dan, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Hello,

I have read plenty of posts on these forums that say Perazzi type 1 or type 2 action/ barrels.

I have an MX5 that was made for me around 12 years ago, and i havent seen another set of barrels that look like it.

Can you guys have a look at the images and tell me what other model perazzi barrels will fit on my gun? I was told that perhaps they dont even make these action types anymore?

For your info, the MX5 was one of Perazzi's first that came with coil springs instead of leaf. It also doesnt have a drop out triggers, due to the much more reliable coil springs.

Thanks for reading and your help.

Dan Power- Aussie Dan
    image-21.jpg

image-20.jpg

photo-11.jpg

2. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Your MX5..is a Round Bottom action, Thus..Mx3,Mx5,and Mx7 Barrels will fit as they are Round Bottom Barrels.The Barrel in the photo's is a Flat Bottom with the Corners Machined Off...Can't Say..I have Ever seen one like that, For a Flat Bottom Reciever as in the Newer style like Mx8 and a Like. Have a Universal Round Bottom Barrel with side cut outs for Flat bottom Actions..but have Never seen it the other way around...Special Barrel..No Dought. Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart
    flabigpapa_2008_0303486.jpg

3. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

The only thing I would try a set of MX3 barrels and see if they will fit your action properly I see the weight is 1.580 that would be a lively set of barrels most American trap barrels are over 1.6 but yours would be great on a Bunker gun also.

4. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

On whiz S&w supply site (see adds on this site) he has a Italian gun Identication. In the last picture the markings are listed on his page . Now the trick is that it is wrote in Italian. But its a start.

Mark

5. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

I'll take a couple of pics of the action tonight and see what you guys think

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

That's a latest MX-5. The third run of MX-5. I ran across one with ser. # 119XXX some time in '08, same BN 2000 production. Long after Perazzi discontinued the round monobloc. But it's still a "round" monobloc.

The reason your monobloc look square is, Perazzi's new CNC machine was not set up to makes original round monobloc.

Your barrel will not fit on a "regular" square monobloc receiver as it doesn't have the cut out on the sides.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Looks like an MX8 square monoblock milled to fit both that and the MX6 rounded style receivers.

WW

8. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Ok so here is a couple of pics of the action.

I guess the question I really want to know is if I wanted a set of 32 inch barrels, what model would fit?
    Would the round bottom type fit in there same as these bevel type MX 5? I realize the side block type won't.
    image-22.jpg

photo-12.jpg

9. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

It looks like any sc/mx barrel would fit. Round or square.

10. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

I Stand Corrected...MX5..with a Flat Bottom ??? Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart...
    Looks like a Round Bottom Barrel would fit right in there..As would the Flat Bottom Style Barrels.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think Giacomo or Lucio would know for certain. Send them an email with pics or go online

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Either will fit as mentioned above. However, I would highly recommend that you get MX8, MX14, MX2000, etc. barrels with the "square" bottoms, just for resale's sake.

And, if'when you find what you are looking for, and are having them shipped, I would ask for a 3-day right of inspection. If you get in a set of barrels which fit loosely, you have a pig-in-a-poke, so to speak. It's better to have tight fitting barrels that can be refitted, than attempting to make them bigger. Hard to make that metal 'grow.'

You probably want the Type IV barrels with that style forearm lug. It is very difficult to locate Type IV lugs themselves if you plan to change the lug, and this should only be done by a competent gunsmith.

IMHO.

WW

13. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

If you compare this "regular" square monobloc MX-8 receiver with yours, it's pretty safe to say your receiver will also accept regular square monobloc barrels. But because your barrel doesn't have the cut out to mate with regular square receiver, your barrel will not go on a MX-8 style receiver (That's beside the point).

As I said, your MX-5 was made long after Perazzi went away from original round monobloc production. The one I ran across in 119XXX ser. # was the same set up.

stevew_2008_030371.jpg

If you intent to use the stock that came with your high rib, you better look for one that matches the hight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barrel no side-ribs for perazzi