1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Hammer Springs Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tom@eel, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

I've read conflicting thoughts concerning weather the hammer V springs should be
    released (hammers dropped) or left cocked after the days shooting. Seems that Giacomo and Perazzi may not agree on the practice. Since the firing pins are rebounding, the springs will always be under some compression, albeit more so in the cocked position. So....What do you do? If released, is it best to use snap-caps or remove the TG and release by hand? How often do you replace springs? When they break or after X number of shells? If so, replace in pairs or just the bottom barrel spring if it's used 90% of the time on singles? I've seen a number forend irons scored by trip rods when the forend was removed with hammers down (operator error!) I shoot a MX-8 and a TM-1 with these springs. Thanks for any help on this. Tom Stephens

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I don't care what the others say, I take out the trigger group and release the hammers by hand, then leave the trigger in the case before I clean the gun if I choose to.

From my extended conversations with the coach and service department of an Olympic training camp in a U.S. friendly country in Asia, the Perazzi factory springs last between two weeks & two years with average 80,000 rounds per gun, per year.

Here's the one of the guns they loan me for the day, according to their log book (2008), it shot 1 million rounds.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

3. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

At the end of the days shooting, I hold a nylon dowel against the breech face and pull the trigger to let the hammers down letting the firing pins strike the nylon block. I've done this on all my Berettas, Rem 3200's and K-80's over many years of shooting. I am also doing it on my new Perazzi, which is the first Perazzi that I have ever owned. Hopefully, this is a good practice.

Perhaps Perazzibigbore, or some of the other Perazzi experts out there can give us some advice.

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I do what Steve said.. I remove the triggers when I clean my gun at the end of the day.. I wash my triggers at that time and reoil them..wrap them up in a clean cotton rag.. and store them in the case till I reassemble the gun for shooting.. As a good habit.. I reinspect my springs before reinstalling.. In all my years of shooting.. I've only had 1 broken spring on the line.. I caught 2 in my lifetime with a small crack.. I usually replace them before there are any issues..

Next easiest thing to do is to remove the trigger.. drop the hammers.. and reinstall.. Remember to catch the hammers in your hand.. don't let them just fly.. All Good.. Mike

5. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

PerazziBigBore said, "As a good habit.. I reinspect my springs before reinstalling.. In all my years of shooting.. I've only had 1 broken spring on the line.. I caught 2 in my lifetime with a small crack.. I usually replace them before there are any issues.."

Mike, yours sounds like a great method. Could you please explain how to go about inspecting the hammer springs? Would the crack be big enough to see with the naked eye? Where would the crack appear on the spring?

6. hschwartz

hschwartz TS Member

If you have ever watched Dan of Giacomo work on triggers/receivers, he does not use snap caps or the like. In my opinion, using snap caps or other types of deterrent for the firing pin is a waste of time. If the springs are going to break, they are going to break.. If the firing pins are going to break, they are going to break. I guess Perazzi and Italian gun makers are pretty smart by putting extra springs and firing pins in all new guns. Go figure. In other words, go shoot, and when you are finished, release the hammers. Don't use snap caps!

Harvey Schwartz

7. perga1

perga1 Active Member

When I am finished shooting for the day I hold the trigger and close the gun and that releases whatever hammer is ready to fire. I then remove the trigger and drop the second hammer while holding tension against it, no free fall. I have over 250,000 rounds through my GA1 and I am on my fifth bottom spring. I have only shot about 30,000 doubles with the gun so the bottom spring is the original. JRM

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a leaf spring trigger for my TMX and have had to replace the spring much more often than my MX3. I sent the broken spring to Whiz the last time and he wrote that the spring had marks on it that suggested that it was over-cocked. Since then I replaced the cocking foot in the trigger assembly with one from an old trigger and have not had another broken spring. ??? over-cocked

9. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

Thanks for all the reply's. By the way......I've got a really good deal for anyone looking for 3 snap caps! Tom Stephens

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The springs I caught had a small hairline crack where it bends.. Back when I could see better.. it was easily visiable.. Now. I'd need a magnifing glass..

11. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I had about 10,000 through my MX8 this year before the lower spring went. I do both snap caps and hand release. I think the major thing is to lower the hammers and not keep them cocked. HJH

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Do as Steve W above suggests.

It makes sense to release the Potential Energy of the cocked springs because springs degrade over time when left under compression. I "fire" my hammers into my hand protected with a rag. Check them for oil, etc., and visually examine the springs.

Of course, release the lever as well.

Although it only takes a minute to change springs, it would bother me to have to leave the line to do so, and disrupt my squad. My squad mates would never say anything, as we try to be extremely respectful of one another while on the line shooting. Off the line, however, it is a different story - no one is immune to ribbing.

I always used to put the triggers back in my guns, but Steve's idea made more sense to just leave them out and install them when I shoot the next day.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.