1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PERAZZI Hammer Spring questIon?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rcmax29, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcmax29

rcmax29 TS Member

I have an even more basic question:

How often, if at all, should I change my leaf style hammer springs in my factory Perazzi trigger group? If I have a good one should I leave well enough alone, or should I be proactive and switch out now before some heavy shooting gets underway? Had one go out after a couple of thousand rounds and have another which seems to be lasting forever - 8000 rounds+

thanks for the help

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Leave well enough alone. Good P-gun springs are hard to come by. HMB

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I was once told by the renowned Perazzi expert that if a spring lasts 5000 rounds it will probably last 50,000.

I gage by comparing the unsingle hammer to the top barrel. If the unsingle is noticeably softer than the less used spring I will change it out.

4. finger

finger TS Member

Giacomo should be listened to. If the flat spring is allowing the hammer to fall, leave it alone. If it breaks put in a new one. The new one may last 500 or 50,00 or 5,000,000 hammer falls. You won't know how long it will last if you change it. When not in use, the hammers should be tripped before putting the gun away. bob finger

5. J.D. Squire

J.D. Squire Member

When I was shooting my MX15 I would replace the spring every six months to a year, and always keep 2 on me for back up. See the problem with not changing them out, is they will start to become weaker. It might just be significant enough where you will start shooting behind targets, etc.

J.D.

6. finger

finger TS Member

Wrong: coil springs will weaken over time. P flat springs do not. They are either there or they break. Thats why Perazzi used flat springs. If you want to change em fine, but don't do it because you think they weaken . bob finger

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I performed warranty service and repair on the Winchester and Ithaca imported Perazzi. Factory recommendation; replace springs when they break.

That is my personal recommendation. It takes about one minute to drop trigger, shake out broken parts, and install new one with tool. Have tool and springs handy. Swap the springs around several times before you need to. The learning curve is very short.

As long as one understands this is a part of having this type of firearm, ENJOY IT. There are advantages to the leaf spring. There are disadvantages with the coil set up.

8. J.D. Squire

J.D. Squire Member

Correction Bob I will send you a spring that was wore down and if you put it up against a brand new spring you can clearly see that it has lost some of its "spring." The springs in my opinion go bad long before they break!

9. Shooting Coach

If I were to get another Perazzi, I would use only factory springs for the gun. They are unlikely to weaken before they break.

10. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I have also had the pin break and a bridle break at different times. Both cost me a spring too.

May want to change them when you change your spring.

Then again, if it were not for bad luck at times, I would have no luck at all. Ray.......

11. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

I bought an old P gun that had been stored COCKED both barrels for some 20 years
    after about 100 shots it broke a bottom barrel spring . Karl L in his Perazzi book says Perazzi recommends them to be stored cocked

12. Shooting Coach

For Sale, Perazzi Springs! Call Karl L. LOL

13. Baber

Baber TS Member

Interesting thread about springs. I recently purchase a VERY old Type 1 Perazzi SC1. It had sat in some guys safe for 35+ years. The gun was like new. All the numbers matched and the springs were like new. The reason they were like new is that the guy had taken them out of the gun! I put the springs back into the gun and have been shooting it without problems. The idea that they should be stored cocked is BS.

TB

14. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Karl didn't say that as I recall. I think he said that one of the Perazzi stored theirs cocked. I think he acknowledged that Giacomo thought they should be released. I don't have my book handy but that is my memory. Jake

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I agree with finger. Flat springs tend to remain as strong as they were when manufactured until they break. They do not weaken with use. J.D., it is possible that the weak spring you have was made that way.

Pat Ireland

16. ZeroHero

ZeroHero TS Member

I have Jimmy check my Precision Trigger each year at the Grand.. one year he checked the springs and they were just fine... (he takes them out and checked them with a gauge, he likes both to match) I broke a spring in the next event... Not Jimmy's fault.. just the point that you can not tell when one will decide to break. I keep a matched set handy when I go to shoot.. sometimes a lucky shooter near by who shoots a top single gets a free spring if I have to replace a pair..

Jerry B.

17. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I'm with Shooting Coach and Pat on this one. However, there is nothing wrong with checking them as suggested by Jerry944t. The first time I had one fail it was intermittent. I logged two FTFs before the problem was diagnosed. The spring had started to split and could not always generate enough force to ignite the primer. It hadn't broken yet, and the crack was very hard to see, but it was there. Subsequent springs just snapped. Perfect one shot, broken the next.

The last time one broke I replaced it on the line, but the tension of the new spring cause me huge problems with trigger timing. I have subsequently learned there is some variation in the strength of Perazzi springs. I ordered three matched sets, all the same strength, from Dianne Pennington. I won't have that issue again.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is it true that Italians make bad springs and Germans make good springs? HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.