1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Grand American?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Where does the Perazzi Grand American trap combo fit into the grand scheme of things Perazzi ?

Is it a desirable model ?

Does it have features that are special to it besides a certain logo or engraving ?

How would you describe its general ranking in the Perazzi pecking order ?

What years was it made ?

2. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

I'm sure you'll get some good information from the Perazzi guru's on this site.

I believe the Grand American is an MX8 Perazzi, sold as a combo set that included an unsingle barrel. The over-under may have had a ramped rib more like an MX3 or MX3 special or the step rib of the MX8. The receiver is all MX8, arguably the best trap over and under ever designed.

The unsingle is the best looking unsingle ever designed in my opinion. It does not have an adjustable rib. The gun is elegant, based on the redoubtable MX8 design. It is striking in appearance with typical Perazzi balance.

Where I am from, the gun of choice has become the K-80. I have only ever known three shooters who owned a Grand America. These shooters no longer own or shoot them. Not sure if it is because there are relatively fewer of these guns out there, or if shooters struggled to shoot them well. They were produced in the mid 80's and perhaps the very early 90's. Great looking gun, much better looking but without the functionality of the Perazzi adjustable unsigles of today. I'd love to own one just because of their striking appearance.

Play Dead

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

There is also the GA 88 which is essentially a MX8 w/ MX 3 sp barrels.

4. APrice

APrice Active Member

Always lots of confusion on the GA. This poster has questions on the "Grand American," and receives answers on the "Grand America." It's all about the "n."

Though essentially the same gun, there is a newer "Grand American" 100th Anniversary edition that is frequently confused with the older "Grand America 1," "Grand America 2," and "Grand American 88."

aprice_2009_151040.jpg

5. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Perazzi went through a lot of gyrations in trying to please the customer. Many different models with only very slight changes compared to another model.

Source Karl Lippard: GA-1 1980-1993; GA-88 1988-1993.

No reference to the GA-2; Lippard's book ends around 1994.

Perazzi catalog shows Grand "America" 1 as a combo only with MX-3 rib style O/U, and MX-14 rib (similar & later) unsingle.

Catalogs also the show Grand "American" 88 as top single, O/U, or combo. Same barrels as the MX-3(special).

The 100th ATA anniversary was a commemorative model, a regular MX-8 (made in 2003?).

Hope this helps, GAP

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I thought the GA models had non removeable triggers. GA 1 was an unsgl. and GA 2 was a top sgl.

7. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I have a GA1 combo purchased new from Giacomo in 1989. It has a removable trigger and step ribs on both the O/U and the unsingle. JRM

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

It's Grand America.
    stevew_2008_03034.jpg

GA1 was a un-single combo.

GA88 was a top single combo.

Sculpted receiver, square monobloc. detachable trigger, basically a MX-8 with different ribs, or Unsingle barrel. It's a great ATA gun.

If you consider a discontinued model desirable, it'll worth more. If you consider it's one of the "Odd ball" models with names need to explain to the next buyer, it'll worth less.

9. Steve Bills

Steve Bills Member

I purchased in 1981 a new Grand American 2 combo with top single 34",step-up rib w/ screw-in chokes.O/U bbl. is 30" step-up rib,bottom bbl has screw-in choke,top bbl. is fixed full choke. Has 2 removable trigger sets,one for the single bbl.& one for the O/U bbls.This gun was manufactured. in 1980.imported by Winchester. Steve

10. APrice

APrice Active Member

Steve, could you show a photo of the name on the side of your receiver. I've never seen one with the inscription "Grand American."

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Aprice. I pick one up today at 4:30

12. APrice

APrice Active Member

Jack, not that it really matters, but I'd bet that you'll find it inscribed "Grand America." Mine is a "Grand America 1."

13. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

I have one that is inscribed "Perazzi GA 1 Special" on it. Just G A initials instead of the words. Has removable trigger

14. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

How easily (inexpensively) can the trigger of a GA-1 be replaced with a selectable trigger and a top single barrel be added ?

15. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Try a selectable conversion kit from "mm-accessory.com".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
perazzi grand america
perazzi grand america ii

perazzi grand american

perazzi grand american 1 special

perazzi grand american combo

perazzi grand american mx8 reviews
perazzi mx8 year made
perazzi shirtstrapshooting grand american