1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Forend Too Tight / Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mflora, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mflora

mflora Member

Just picked up new sporting forend (126xxx) for my MX14L Combo (126xxx). It is only a couple of hundred #s apart but it is too tight. I can get it on but hardly off and am afraid of cracking it. Can I spread it gently w/ an insert and heat or do I have to remove wood? Suggestions appreciated.
    Mark

2. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

You will need to remove some wood.

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Some Sporting model's forearm wood were made for lighter barrels, or your MX-14 has factory big bore barrels, you'll need to sand the opening of the wood to make room for it.

4. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

It's the Difference Between 18.4 bore barrels and 18.7 and or 18.8 bore barrels. Wood will Need to be Removed..Futher Stress will make it Crack..
    Shoot Well..Shoot Often with Family and or Good Friends, Bart

5. wlc

wlc Member

Sandpaper wrapped tightly around a file for the sides and around a proper size wooden rod for the round part if necessary will keep everthing straight. If you go slow and are careful, no one will be able to tell it isn't original.

6. mflora

mflora Member

As usual, thanks again for the input. Good weekend project.
    Mark

7. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

wic is right. Just went through same thing myself. Sandpaper around dowel and sanded lower inside front and on the front insides. After you get it where it is acceptable (It will wrear in after that) put a little clear urethane on the sanded spots to seal the wood. Just a little.

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I have never worked on a pizza gun but on a Browning the forearm iron and bracket are separated by the wood. I would remove wood under the forearm bracket to get the bracket closer to the barrel. Have to keep the bracket parallel.

9. SCO/C

SCO/C Active Member

I think pizza gun is a lot more easier to work on than some sushi or waffle guns. LOL

10. drgondog

drgondog Member

If you have inletting black (if not use talcum powder), put the substance on the max diameter of the barrel and CAREFULLY move the forearm up where it will first make contact close to the receiver end.

Remove and then carefully remove the wood where the black (or talc) shows on the upper/aft inside of the forend. I prefere to use a scraper rather than sandpaper.

Repeat the process until the forearm fits to your satisfaction.

PS, the upper barrels will come into play about halfway down so make sure to consider the blacking process at the mid point of the upper barrel also.

Regards,

curmudgen fron Scurry

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

If you over did it, it's not the end of the world, just stick couple felt patches inside the wood.

As a matter of fact, I've used felt patches to protect barrel finishes inside the forend wood if spaces allowed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.