1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Forend Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brucestorey, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

One of my Perazzi MX3 Specials is giving me a problem when trying to put the forend on. I have two barrels for this gun, and the problem is the same with both. I noticed, at first, the forearm lever wouldn't close all of the way by itself, but it would close and hold tight if I pressed it in. Over time, it got harder and harder, and now it is at the point where it is so hard to force the lever closed that I don't want to try to put the forend on again for fear I will screw things up.

What has caused this, and how can I fix it?

Thank you,

Bruce

2. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

Anybody? Please?

3. Gabe

Gabe Member

Bruce it's possible the wood could have taken on a little moisture over time and is not allowing the forend latch to engage the underlug like it should. You might need to take a little wood off the front of your forend where it contacts the bottom of your barrel if it's touching and you can't get it to latch. Gabe

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I had a customer this winter who has a Browning Citori he has been shooting for the past 5-6 yrs. One day he couldn't get the forend latch to lock. When I looked at the forend assy, the wood was warped... alot!!!. Apparently it just decided to move.

Doug

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Bruce, look for dark pressure spots inside the forend. You might have to relieve those a bit... just a bit..

6. NJFlyer

NJFlyer Member

Just ask Steve!

7. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Sometimes it is just the screws are loose - as your problem occured gradually, I doubt it is a wood swelling problem (unless you have continuously kept the gun wet).

8. foxfire210

foxfire210 TS Member

I didn't get a chance to see it this weekend, but I guess I should have. One thing is for sure you don't remove anything to move the forearm toward to butt. The forearm has to move forward toward the muzzle.
    Loose screws didn't cause mine, nor wet sweated or warped wood. Something happened to the hanger to move and it has to move the hanger release forward not to the rear.

9. foxfire210

foxfire210 TS Member

The thing to try is to loosen up the hanger iron screws and put a business card or two to shim in between the hanger iron and the forearm. Tighten the screws and it should go back on. It's ugly but it will tell you what the problem is. You could fashion a permanent .003 shim or send it to the gunsmith for a permanent fix.
    On my gun this was all caused by .003 off between the hanger iron and the hanger.

10. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

Thanks for the replies everybody.

I will add that I don't believe it is a barrel problem since the problem occurs with both of the guns barrels -- it must be in the forend.

Also, the tighter the latch got and the harder it got to put the forend on the gun, after I did finally put it together, the top lever would sit more to the right than usual. Does this bit of information help at all?

Bruce

11. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Bruce,

If the top lever is returning to a newer position with the tight fitting forend assy, two things you should check...

1)The most rearward area of the forend wood, just above the forend iron, may be touching the muzzle end of the barrel's water-table "ears". I see this quite often. When the forend assy is snapped into place, there does need to be a small amount of daylight.

2)Looking at the curved area of the forend iron, near the top(looking at it from the side)those to little "tabs" will sometimes bump the notch in the receiver too soon, preventing the assy from pivoting all the way.

With the forend snapped in place as tight as you say it is, when you close the gun, the tabs on the forend iron will hit the receiver and stop the gun from closing securely.

Are these bbls original to this receiver? Numbers match?

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

loose forend perazzi