1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Forend Fitting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by randy-s, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randy-s

randy-s Member

I picked up a set of MX10 O/U barrels for my MX10 top single. When I put the forend on the barrels (without the reciever) it will NOT come off by simply lifting the latch lever. In order to get them off I need to loosen the two forend lock screws about 1/2 turn. This allows the forend wood to go forward a slight bit which is just enough to allow the forend to release. I have had the forend iron and latch mechanism apart several times trying to find a fix. Any ideas? I can see the problem but don not have a solution. The same thing happens on two other barrels but does not happen with the top single barrel. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If all else fails I know where to send it for repair. TIA Randy Shelton

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Take it to a stockmaker or gunsmith I think it should be an easy fix but I would have to see it.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

The lug on your o/u barrel probably needs to be reworked a bit.. I may be/ have been/ wrong, but, a perazzi smith can fix it up in little time....

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have seen this many times and have solved it as many.

The distance between the front of the receiver and the back side of the barrel lug in TOO long on the forearm, which means too short on the receiver & lug. The distances are not matched.

You can do a couple of things to solve this: (1) file, carefully on the BACK side of the barrel lug (if a combo, this sould be check on BOTH barrels BEFORE you start this), or (2) file the area on the foreamr that mates with the back side of the barrel lug. The latter being more difficult as this metal can be much harder and more difficult to file without the correct width file.

We're talking probably only a few thousandths of an inch, so go slowly and use a marker to check fit EACH time so you don't get yourself into a hole of angled filing. Remember, once you dut the dog's tail off, more cutting will only make it shorter...

Whiz

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It could also be the wood contacting the barrel at the bosses just above the water table.

Joe

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Think Randy is talking aount the forend assy attached to the bbl while not on the receiver. That's how he's able to access the forend screws.

I too, thought it may be the wood pressing to hard against the muzzle end of the water-table, but even then, the forend should come off.

It could also be a latch mis-alignment in the wood. With the screws tight, the latch (which is positioned by the wood) may be pulled to deep into the lug on the bbl, not allowing it to clear the lug's front hook.

Doug

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Loosen the wood and slip a business card into each side of (between) the wood and iron, and retighten. Does everything work fine then?

Doug

8. randy-s

randy-s Member

Doug hit the nail on the head: "It could also be a latch mis-alignment in the wood. With the screws tight, the latch (which is positioned by the wood) may be pulled to deep into the lug on the bbl, not allowing it to clear the lug's front hook." I took a few thousandths off the hook, problem solved. The one barrel lug was soldered to barrel just a bit different than the others. Thanks for all that replied. Randy Shelton

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

fixing guns by pm is almost as fun as doing it by phone... pictures are worth a thousand words...hint..hint

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fitting perazzi forend