1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi fore iron to receiver fit

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

My MX14 locks up tight but when open there is .005"-.006" clearance between the foreend iron and receiver. I don't see that this is a problem but would like some input from some of the Perazzi people. when open there is more clearance at the top of the radius than the bottom. What is involved in replacing the piece in the foreend iron that determines the fit?

Thanks

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I think I understand what you're saying, not 100% sure...

If you forend is loose, it'll be loose when your gun is closed, pull the forearm away from the receiver when the gun is closed to check, if it's indeed loose, you'll need to remove the iron from the forearm wood, remove the retaining flat plate of the insert, change the insert to a thicker one then fit it.

stevew_2008_030313.jpg

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If your forend is NOT loose.. you must remember.. that some people polish out the engagement areas if it has signs of galling.. Sometimes they get carried away.. It means nothing.. We see that alot on guns people put together..with irons that are older.. and well worn..and or receivers that have had galling in the pivot area..and then polished out.. As long as it is properly fitted.. not tight..and not loose.. you're fine..

4. wlc

wlc Member

There is no excessive movement of the forend when the gun is closed. There has not been any galling or polishing done. I've had the gun since it was new and it now has about 35-40 K rounds through it. It has never been tight when opening and maybe has always had this clearance. I thought that since it locks up tight there was no problem but wanted to hear from people who know these guns well. Thanks to both of you for responding.

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If it's "rattle loose" then the Catch Bolt, Perazzi item #322, may need replacing, as Steve W above intimated.

Occasionally, and as PBB Mike above noted, some guys will either stone the rounded face of the receiver, OR file down the rear of the barrel locking lug located on the underside of the barrel to both: (1) reduce the chances of face galling, and (2) permit easier opening of the gun. Nothing worse than having to fight an MX14 to open up far enough to get a shell in the bottom barrel shooting either the un-single of the O/U in doubles.

If the rear of the barrel/forearm locking lug has been filed, not a good solution, then a thicker Catch Bolt may be necessary in lieu of the alternative. To replace the locking lug may get expensive as heat is necessary to remove the old one, and then positioning a replacement is EXTREMELY CRITICAL, and a re-blue may be in order then. Some have even TIG/MIG welded material on the rear of this lug, and then filed it down to acheive a greater rear thickness.

[​IMG]

WW

6. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I may be simple but I don't understand what you are saying at all. The fit of the iron is determined when the gun is CLOSED. There is no way whatsoever to determine or adjust the fit with the action open. If you don't understand how the iron should be relative to the action body, please have that assessment made by someone who does. Gotta be someone around who can actually hold the gun and check it out. OR - if you don't have that resource and the gun functions ok just use it and quit looking for light shining thru the parts and worrying.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

At times, replacing the catch plate will not do the trick. If you look closely at the catch plate (the insert), you'll see a small slot cut in it. That slot is put there to clear the backside of the forend lug on the bbl.

Sometmes the slot is very shallow and others may be deep, it all hinges on where Perazzi located the forend lug. I've seen quite a few that barely had a slot at all, and any attempt to install a new plate will not tighten the gun up...just not enough material on the plate. When this happens, then welding the backside of the lug is necessary, and then refitting the forend iron assy.

Rebluing the bbl is not needed if care is taken during the welding process. Extreme care is needed not to get the lug too hot to where the lug could fall off, or too hot that the heat gets transferred to the soft-soldered side-ribs and they become loose.

With the Perazzis that come through my shop, about half of them need to be welded.

Doug Braker

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

A simple test to see where you stand.. is remove the barrel.. and see how the forend iron matches up to the receiver with no barrel.. If perfect.. its just a matter of forend lug adjustment and or forend shim..

9. wlc

wlc Member

Thanks to all who offered helpful information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi catch bolt

perazzi fore end iron

perazzi forend bolt catch