1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi - fixed choke - 16 yards

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

In my never to be humble opinion, I would go ahead and get a full choke. NOTHING less than IMOD. If the day comes that you want to sell or trade and it has a more open choke, you will regret your choice.

2. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

If you have barrel work done, Tom Wilkerson, Kerry Allor or Heritage Gunsmiths. Keep the receipt and you will usually get some of your $$$ back. Anybody else, you will get less for the bbl. Tom Wilkerson now does removable chokes. They are expensive but they are good.

.020 Choke with 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 or 8s will give great breaks. The above usually have handicap chokes of the low to mid .030s. My Allor O/U barrels for doubles is choked .020/.030

3. shark1

shark1 Member

Full chokes are always good. I would not open more than IM choke. Try a full choke with 8.5 shot and you should see great results.
    Mike Sharkey, DC

4. The Kissable Wanker

The Kissable Wanker TS Member

#8 (which is about 0.031") or a #10 (which is about 0.039") choke.

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I use a 0.018" for 16 yards, but I shoot very quickly.

I should also add that I shoot a 0.028" for 27 yards. It has served me well in staying on the 27 since 1975.

Many folks say choke for smoke... fine. I won't argue with anyone, on what THEY shoot for chokes, I can only say what works for me.

Probably because I shoot so quickly, I can get away with a looser choke. It would be a cold day in hell, however, when I shot a 0.039 choke from the 27.

Whiz

6. The Kissable Wanker

The Kissable Wanker TS Member

Whiz, I've had some cheap shells that needed the #10 just to pattern decently.
    Normally with a fixed choke the #8 will take you from the 16 to the back fence.

7. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

As long as we are on the subject will someone please list approximate contrictions of standard choke terms XF,F,LF,IM,M along with the digit numbers used. Example .035 F #10. Asume a .740 bore. Thanks, gyrine

8. John Stefanowicz

John Stefanowicz TS Member

Here's the figures I've used as a rough measure of choke constrictions for a 12 gauge:
    Skeet = .005; IC = .010; Light Mod = .015; Mod = .020; IM = .025; Light Full =
    .030; Full = .035; X full = .040.
    Subtract that from a .740 bore, and you have your inside diameter.
    Hope it helps. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.