1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

perazzi firing pins

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BBowen, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBowen

BBowen Member

perazzi one piece firing pins available. made from s-7 steel and heat treated. free replacement if one breaks. we have sold dozens and to date not one has broken. titanium nitride coated for a pleasing gold color and corossion resistance. inclueded are the return springs.

$45 shipped in usa.

bruce bowen call or e-mail for orders. 605-490-1139
    bbowen999_2008_03036.jpg

bbowen999_2008_03036.jpg
  2. BBowen

BBowen Member

forgot to mention price is per pair including springs.

bb
  3. BBowen

BBowen Member

4. seitz647

seitz647 Member

Now why couldnt they think of this in Italy
  5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

To answer the question "Seitz647" asked: "Why couldn't they think of this in Italy?"

Why they went through the extra expenses to make a two part firing pin :

The original Perazzi two part design was based on the theory of,

1) The tip that contacts the primer needs to be very hard, so it'll not wear out (shortened) in time.

2) The body that contacts the firing pin hole and inside receiver can't be too hard (or harder than receiver) to avoid wearing out the receiver (which is an expensive fix).

This creates a somewhat over engineering design that it'll will break if you use the wrong trigger group with non matching hammer in it.

The ideal way is, have hard metal sleeve inside the firing pin hole to match the hard firing pin, but that's another over engineering & costly proposition. :)
  6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Or create the firing pin with a hard metal core wrapped by a soft metal. This way the core (pointy-end) hits the primer while the outside is soft coming in contact with the receiver.
  7. Steve W

vpr80 made a very sensible proposition.

That's exactly what Perazzi did to their current firing pin design, two part pin with hard core inside a soft body.

However, these new generation factory pins needs to match their newer hammers, or it'll create striking problems. People mismatch the pin & hammer will see the breakage problem in a matter of dozen rounds.
  8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I didn't know Bruce made these.. but Pat Lab did.. I never had any issues with these quality parts..
  9. BBowen

BBowen Member

both style lower pins are available.

bb
  10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Bruce.. You have E-mail..
  11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 TS Member

Perazzi has been making the 2 piece firing pin for over 30 years. The first type was a soft outer with a drilled blind hole in it, then the hard center pin was crimped into place. The current style is made from tubing and the hard center pin is crimped into place. The problem with the later pins is the assembly shifts in time, and I have seen at least 6 including my 2000 pins do this. These new style pins started around when the MX-15 came out.
  12. BBowen

BBowen Member

13. BBowen

BBowen Member

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I can address my views on them.. I just ordered 32 from Bruce.. I have no issues with them.. Nothing is perfect..but I have had excellent results with these type of pins for many years.. Bruce is a master of metal.. If he made them.. or Pat Laib.. they are as good as they can be.. I've used them in guns that already had 50,000 rounds or more thru them.. and cared for them for another 50,000/100,000 rounds.. Have not had any issues yet.. Just be SURE to use the right hammer for the style pin you are using.. Hope this helps..

All Good.. Mike
  15. trap-pr

trap-pr Member

i had a set in my mx2000 there great ron
  16. atexaspete

atexaspete Member

Could somebody take the time to show us the difference in the correct hammers for these new one-piece pins and the difference between the "new" and "old" style hammers.

I've got a buddy that has begun to get "dents" or "dimples" in the faces of his hammers. This might be the reason, but I'd like to see what the differences are.

Thanks,
    Mike
  17. Steve W

Here're the pictures of the back of the firing pin and side of the two hammers:

1) The "old" style firing pin for bottom barrel:

stevew_2008_030370.jpg

2) The "old" & "new" style bottom barrel hammers:

stevew_2008_030371.jpg

The new style pin doesn't have the cut out on the back as showing in pic. #1, the "old' style hammer will break it.
  18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Hammer design:

[​IMG]
  19. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Moderator Staff Member

S-7 is a very durable steel and would be and excellent choice for a firing pin. There shouldn't be any wear problems if the receiver firing pin holes are in spec and you are using the proper hammers. Perazzi gets a bad rap when people mix old triggers with the new style pins.

Todd
  20. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

Now I'm confused. Does the new style hammer have the notch in the face?? Gun SN is 110XXX. Mine has LBFP with cutaway. The spare does also.

Tom