1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Firing Pin?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I recently bought a lower firing pin for my Cat IV MX-8. It is tapered toward the rear. The package was marked "MX-8".

It fits perfectly, indexes correctly, and gives a good strike. I am wondering why the rear of the pin has a different configuration than the pins in my repair kits?

If you enlarge the pic, you can see the difference in the rear profile of the lower pin.

Should I buy another pin or will this one work? I have the old style bottom hammer. Serial # 77XXX

Although I often think I know everything about guns, I sometimes don't. LOL

I have no doubt I can get the answer here and save a call to Giacomo.

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

It appears to be modified so it will work with both old and new hammer styles. Also your top barrel firing pin looks like it is in the seperation stage of failure. The new type pin in my opinion is junk, call Giocomo and he will tell you the same.

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If you look at the back of the firing pin you will see the smaller diameter of the 2 piece pin starting to come out of the main body. About when the MX-15 came out Perazzi started making their firing pins a different way. The old style had a main body (soft steel) with a blind hole drilled into it then the center hardened pin was place into the outer and swadged tight. The new style starts off with a piece of tubing and the the hardened center is swadged into place. The problem is after awile the center starts to float on the main body and I have seen where the small diameter up front which seats the return spring break off. Whiz is selling old style firing pins, do your gun a favor and get a set or two.

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

If you have the old style of hammer with the web attached then the firing pin you now have will work fine. If you change firing pin types then you will have to file the web flat to the hammer face to accomodate the round type pin. It does look like your top pin is seperating.

Jim

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Whoever has worked on this gun needs a set of gunsmith screw drivers.

I see that by looking at the slotted head "Safety Spring Screw."

I'd feel terrible if I did that to a customer's gun.

Whiz

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Whiz

You are right. By the time I picked up this most delightful gun, It had been "around the world in a tow sack". LOL

It had a cracked stock and forend, loose side ribs, etc. I did not have good luck with getting a take off stock bedded, which led to more work and funds, etc. The typical orphaned Perazzi.

However, now it is my favorite gun to shoot. As they say in Italy, "It looka good".

7. decimamas 54

decimamas 54 Active Member

Just to be exact: the firing pins that we make (the one that Whiz sell) are two pieces construction. The new one the center core goes through the main body and they are two different hardness steel. The old type firing pins, because of the way it is shape on the head (have two extra cut), is impossible run the core all way through it stops a little bit over the center body and than swadged tight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.