1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi factory choke tubes. Any good???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I just aquired a very nice TM-1 (TM-S? has striped receiver) Ser# 45XX with factory choke tubes. The bore is marked 18.5 and measures .730". Four factory flush mount tubes, #s 4, 6, 8, and 10. Restrictions are .021, .028, .035, and .045".

It will be some time before I can pattern the gun. I would appreciate input, based on experience, as to how well the factory chokes perform. My previous experience with choke tubes has been with a Baker bbl (2) and chokes from a well respected smith often mentioned positively on this forum. Baker bbls work great, the un-named tubes (machined and installed by the un-named smith) not so great. In fact with tubes measuring .020, .028, and .032 none will throw a decent pattern from 35yds. I have tried STS, AA, GC, and cheap federals.

All input/thoughts appreciated. My main concern is the Perazzi factory chokes. Thanks, Marc

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mark.... I have had, and now have, the same chokes you do for my MX3 Special. Mine are #4,6,8, and 10.... The factory measurements with these chokes in my .724 barrels are #4=.016", #6=.024", #8=.33, and the #10-.039". They pattern very well from all the yardages they are meant for. That being said, I have a set of Briley's regular, non-ported, black oxide extended tubes for it as well. I have a Mod.(.020"), IM(.025", LF(.030"), and an XF(.040"). These are Brileys standard $59.95 tubes. The patterns out of the Brileys are much superior to the Perazzi ones. Maybe it's the additional length of the parallel in the extended tubes, I don't know. I do know, however, the LF(.030") absolutely crushes 27yd targets better than anything I have ever used.

My MX-15 came with a set of factory choke tubes, and they patterned horribly! I sent the barrel to Briley, had them backbore it to .740" and had them fit their tournament chokes. The difference in this gun was astonishing! It patterned like a dream, had low felt recoil, and was fully adjustable in every way. Wish I could shoot an un-single because I would still have that gun today.

So, to answer your question: Perazzi factory choke tubes are sometimes very good, sometimes not so good.... Almost any well known brand of choke tube will improve your pattern over the factory ones...... I know from experience what I would do..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Contrary to the above, of the six factory tubed Perazzis currently living with me all pattern just fine. Tho I no longer have it, the TMS I shot for a while would crush targets from the 27 with a #6 choke. I've noticed that the tubes generally require less than the standard more-is-better approach to chokes, and my usual first barrel choke is a #4 (#2 for pigeons) w/ a #6 for the second. The #6 will break targets at just insane distances. Why use more?
    None of the barrels on my guns have been molested in any way and have never given me any cause to consider it. And they never fail to break a target if I leave them to it.

The tube styles around range from Year Zero to mid-80's. My experience has always led me to wonder at the usual Briley smooching. But that's just me of course. YMMV

Charlie

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Dan Thome, Did you shoot the Briley and factory chokes on a pattern board, or are your comments from actual shooting conditions?

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

First, I prefer fixed choke. If I have a barrel that come with tubes, I can live with it.

I've been shooting almost exclusively Perazzi since I learn how to shoot a shotgun, many, many factory choke tubes later, I never had any problem with them.

I pattern all my guns when I have a chance, mainly for POI, if I don't see empty spots while doing so, I don't worry about it.

However, I did more than once, comparing well known after market choke tubes and Perazzi factory tubes, see if I can justify the extra expenses, In my case, I failed.

6. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Perazzi knows how to make a great gun, great barrels and great choke tubes. The rest is all BS.....just like porting and backboring...BS

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Before we can determine if a choke tube will throw a good patters, we must first determine what kind of pattern we want. How is it possible to determine if a tube throws a good pattern without defining what is a good pattern.

Some try to define a good pattern as one that results in a uniform shot distribution. But, all patterns have a random shot distribution so that will not work.

One tube might throw excellent patterns but throw them several inches to the left. The pattern is great but the POI is off.

If you don't know what you want before you begin searching, how is it possible to know if you ever find what you want?

Pat Ireland

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Pat, it's not the fact that patterns are random that makes uniform ones so elusive. It's the fact that they are generally twice as dense in the center twenty as in the outer ten inches that makes them non-uniform. That someone would (honestly) claim an even pattern is no reflection on him or her, but rather further proof that you can't tell anything about patterns just by looking at them. Or looking for holes, either, by the way - that's where random spoils the fun.

Neil

9. luvtrapguns

Pat, A hot redhead will do for starters, or maybe a blonde. With all due respect your response was somewhat insulting. I do know what I am looking for and certainly with my new eyes know what I am seeing. Perhaps your comments were generalizations that I took too personally. I hope so as I have read and respected many of your helpful postings.

Back to the subject at hand: I have had many fixed choke Perazzi and other fine guns with fixed chokes that pattern beautifully and hit birds with authority. This is my first Factory choke tubed Perazzi. Based on my experience
    with after market installed tubes, some good, some bad, I have questions about the Factory tubes. I guess I will just have to hit the range and pattern board sooner than expected to find out. Marc

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Setterman.... Actually, I did both. The original Perazzi #8 (.032") tube gave me a 71% pattern of 11/8oz 71/2's at 40 yards. (Very respectable) The Briley extended tube marked LF (.030"), with the same loads, from the same distance, gave me 79% (10% better). (Even more respectable) This was over a 5 shot string. The biggest difference was from the Perazzi #6 (.024") choke tube. At 35 yards, it produced patterns of 68%, while my Briley Extended IM (.025") choke gave me 78%, (13% better) again using a 5 shot string shooting the same load. The visual difference in the way the target breaks is very obvious when changing back and forth between the tubes. To me, this is the most important factor in my determining whether one choke tube is better than another. It's definatly a mind game here. I'm more confident in a tube that I think hits the targets harder than one that does not. Now, granted, this is with MY chokes, in MY gun. Perhaps I should ammend my original post to: Perazzi makes great choke tubes, but, sometimes the barrels they are installed in don't pattern as well as they could with an aftermarket tube. For you naysayers, borrow a quality aftermarket choke tube that matches the constriction of your factory Perazzi tube. Go out and pattern them both, just as I did and see for yourself if there is, indeed, a difference... Dan Thome (Trap2)

11. luvtrapguns

Dan, Your data certainly shows a difference. Are these tubes referred to as SERIES 2. Thanks, Marc

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Yes, Marc, these were the series 2 tubes. The difference in the MX15 tubes was even more obvious, both on paper and in reality.... Dan

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My TMX has a .728 bore even though it is marked 18.4 on the barrel. My #6 factory choke tube has .028 constriction and absolutely smokes 16 yard targets. My #8 choke tube has .036 constriction and smokes 27 yard targets. I patterned that choke tube on the same warm summer day as a #9 choke tube with .039 constriction and got very similar Full choke results at 4000 ft altitude. My MX3 single barrel has .740 bore with Briley Series 54 choke tubes. The IM choke is .025 constriction and the Full is .036 constriction and both chokes work as advertised for me. I have not had bad choke tube performance with any P Gun chokes but did have unsatisfactory performance with Browning factory chokes in a Citori when attempting to use the Browning designation of IM and Full. The Citori worked OK as long as I used an appropriate constriction for the distance of target breakage.

14. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I purchased a TMX last June that came with a #4 and a #7Series 2 CT. I have been very pleased with the #7 for both singles and hdc. I pruchased a Wrights #9 at the Grand last year and recently bought a #8 from a gentleman on this site about 2 Wks. ago. I have not had a chance or felt a need to test these two as of yet. Happy with the Perazzi factory tubes with the limited experience I have had so far. Steve

15. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Mike, I just want to say, don't take bore gauge too seriously. The three I have never agreed on each other, after repeated test on the same group of barrels, one is -0.002", one is -0.001" and one is +0.001" off from barrel markings. They are good in measure constrictions.

Maybe I should start a thread about gauge readings, but wondering how many people with more than two gauges out there?

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

AAtrap.... If you have not felt any need to try the different choke tubes, why would you purchase them? It seems to me that if your were that happy with your tubes the way they were you wouldn't have felt the urge to even consider buying the Wrights tubes? Just an interesting observation. You must be the "one" trapshooter in the world that would buy a new choke for his gun, and a year later still not have tried it. Most of us would have taken the gun right to the club and tried it out to see what it could do. I admire your obvious strong self control. I couldn't do it on a bet. Tell us about the patterns your gun throws. What percentages do you get from different yardages using the factory chokes? Surely you have patterned them and know how effective they are...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

17. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Excuse me, Dan. I'm not really sure what your point is. I stated that I purchased the gun with a 4 and a #7. I wouldn't consider shooting the 4 so that left me with the #7. I tried locating some series 2 choke tubes on this site and several other places to no avail. While at the Grand, I decided to purchase the Wright's extended tube as a back-up. The #8 was just recently purchased from Eurojoe and as soon as I get a chance, it will be tested extensively.

As far as testing my guns patters, POI, etc.; I spend hours at the bench as well as standing shooting them. I then spend more considerable time counting holes and figuring %'s. I presently have approx. 20 pieces of cardboard and paper in my garage where I tested the Perazzi #7. If you would like, I'll take some pictures and e-mail them to you. I didn't just fall off the turnip wagon, Dan.

Steve Elliott

18. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Steve.... I meant no disrespect, and accept my apology if I came across that way. I have heard from so many shooters that swear by their Perazzi factory chokes, and just as many that swear AT them. I was just being curious and trying to see how many actually bothered to pattern their chokes with each make before responding. All in all, I find this sort of thing actually interests me.... Dan

19. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Dan, your apology is accepted and let me take this opportunity to also apologize for being a little too sensative.

Even though I don't post too often on this site, I do frequent it almost daily and read some of the more interesting post. I have always considered you to be a conscentious, level-headed contributor. I guess your reply just didn't fit the image I had of you. Your apology has reinforced that positive image.

You did get me to thinking though when you made the statement that I was probably the only person in the world who would not immediately run out to the club and check the choke out. I would actually hazard a guess that less than 50% of the registered shooters have ever shot their guns on paper. What do you think?

Have a great day and good shooting this season

Steve Elliott

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Steve.... I would say you are being far too generous in your 50% estimation. I would say it would be closer to 10%, or even less. What I was referring to in regards to your not running right out to the club to try them was based on you actually shooting targets with it, not patterning them. You know what I mean, just to see how well they visually break the targets. I can't get to the club fast enough to shoot some targets with a new choke tube, or, a new gun for that matter...lol. I have shot choke tubes that, after shooting a round or two with them, wouldn't bother to even put them on paper. Again, it's a mind game, and one I play with myself rather well. I have this insane idea that I can tell, just by how well I break the targets, whether I want to pursue patterning the choke. While I know, mentally, that how well a choke tube patterns on paper really is supposed to tell the story, I put more credence, and faith, in watching how well a choke actually smokes the targets in action.... I have pretty much given up on patterning, altogether, in favor of trusting my instincts, and what I see when the targets break. This plays very well into my mind game. I am finding that, for me, confidence comes from watching your targets turn to smoke when you hit them properly. I also found that, lack of confidence comes from putting that same choke on paper later and seeing that it has holes in it, too hot of a center core, not enough pellets in the 5" annular ring, etc....

Again, I am sorry if I seemed a little short with my reply to you. There really aren't too many things that irritate me on this site, but, my number one pet peeve is having someone respond to a thread that has no idea of what they are talking about. You obviously do, and have done the necessary work to find out how your tubes pattern. I commend you for that. I would also like to hear from you when, and if, you finally do pattern your Wrights tubes. I would be very interested to find out your results, and what you think of them... Sincerely, Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
a better choke tube than perazzi
best choke for a perazzi in trap
briley perazzi chokes
perazzi choke tube restrictions

perazzi choke tubes

perazzi chokes
perazzi factory chokes

perazzi flush chokes