1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Engraving Question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by winchesterAA, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

I was wondering, I have a MX2000 with the silver reciever, The engraving pattern is not filled in with black like some other models ive seen, I would like to fill it in with black so it would stand out better, Ive seen some MX14 and MX15 luxury grades like this. What is used or what could i use to fill the engraving in to highlight it. Something that would stand up to wiping down the reciever with a gun cloth sprayed with Sheath or G96 ect... Thanks Richie

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Richie- At one time I was deeply involved in gun engraving. I used two different products, India Ink and thinned black enamel paint. The Italian engravers seem to prefer the paint and the English engravers like India Ink.

Clean the gun well. Smear on the paint/ink and wait until it is nearly dry. Then with a thin cloth (bed sheet, pillow case), wipe off the surface. If the surface does not get real clean, a very small amount of thinner can be put on the cloth. If you mess up things a little, use a soft cloth with more solvent and do it again.

I have also used something called Stove Black (for refinishing wood stoves). It did work well but is a little more difficult to use.

After you apply any of the above, wait at least 10 days before you put any oil on the receiver.

Pat Ireland

3. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

Thank You very much Pat for your help,,, Richie

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Pat. How do you mix oil based enamel with water based india ink? Stove black is just black enamel.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Barry- I suggested using one or the other, not both combined. Normal "black enamel" paint will not withstand the heat generated on the surface of a wood burning heating stove. The things get really hot. The stove black I used, and still have, is a very thin mixture that is put on with a rag.

Pat Ireland

6. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

How about gold inlay?

You could buy the Forster Gold Inlay kit at Midway.

Here's a link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=720160

Bruce

7. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Richie,

Why monkey around??? I'll meet your Wed. at the club, with my hammer 'n screwdriver...I'm sure I could do some scratchin on that nice gun for you.

puablo

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Thanks Pat.

9. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

Puablo,
    Why id be honored too have you do some fine engraving with your screwdriver and hammer!!! Richie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.