1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Durability MX8 vs MX6?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I once had a nice MX6 combo, and remember being told by Giaccomo that it really wasn't Perazzi's top of the line gun durability wise, esp. vs the MX-8 configuration. I wonder how well the Perazzi's without the "lumps" hold up, or whether, in fact, the MX-8 lock-up configuration does provide significant additional strength that leads to longer life?

WNCRob

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

We are talking about lock-up system between square & round monobloc?

Yes, if you must compare the two, Perazzi square monobloc is stronger as barrel / receiver mating is concerned, and it's much more costly to make.

For example, you can fire a square monobloc gun by holding the barrel to the receiver by hand without the locking block. Can't do that with a rounded monobloc.

But in reality, no one wants to do that, and the rounded monobloc Berettas are all holding up well in the Olympics. Only when you compare the two, they show some differences between good and better.

3. Jim Veta

Jim Veta Active Member

I know that there are an awful lot of MX3 and MX5 guns out there that just keep going on. The rounded mono block design of the MX6 is the same as those. It is a different design approach but absolutely not inferior. You could argue that the slightly reduced weight of the receiver makes the dynamics of the gun even more enhanced. I have never heard of any Perazzi receiver,square or rounded, blown up
    I believe the design was initiated to cut some costs to be able to market to the U.S. a more cost effective product. In other words, give more entry level buyers a chance at buying a Perazzi rather then a Browning.
    People that i know have told me Mr. Dan Bonillas had a lot to do with the design and marketing of the rounded mono block design. I have met Dan but do not know him personally so i cannot say for certain that is true. If it is, he deserves a lot more credit for what he has done for Perazzi sales in the U.S. then he has gotten.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had a MX3 when they first came out and did have a problem with the gun opening up on recoil. Before they figured out how to fix that problem I took the advice of a well known gunsmith to "Get rid of it even if you have to take a lickin on it". After 15 years of struggling with a different make of gun for Doubles, I bought another MX3 and later found a Single barrel for it. On the present MX3 combo, I had the lugs on both barrel sets welded up to a shallower 8 degree angle and got the new locking block fitted to keep the top lever well to the right of center. I have not had any problems at all with my current MX3 and I love the rib and the way it swings.

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Steve: I highly value your expertise on Perazzi's and often have learned much from your valuable comments, however, I am not in concert with you regarding the strengths of the MX8's square monoblock over the rounded monoblock of the MX6.

Strength-wise, the MX6's rounded monoblock does not introduce a fatigue or stress point at the 90 degree angle at the base of the receiver that the MX8 has. There is more metal in the rounded MX3/MX6 monoblock. I do agree that it may be more expensive to machine the MX8's squared receiver. Unless there is MORE metal in the MX8's monoblock, I tend to believe the rounded one is of greater strength.

In my days of successful semi-professional drag racing, we spent an enourmous amount of time to ensure that all the engine's internal moving parts' sharp edges were "relieved" and magnufluxed to prevent castrophic engine failures at extremely high rpms. One exceptions were the edge of the dcm lobes, but not at the safht's inner parts, etc. A small "rounding" of many surfaces was the rule of the day then.

I guess I need more of an explanation or instruction in order to accept the MX8's greater strength issue.

Thanks.

Whiz

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Whiz, thank you for your kind words.

You are correct on internal engine moving parts, as we know on all high speed, high friction metal parts need to have sharp edges rounded to relieve stress points, but barrel and receiver mating is stationary, not subject to rotary movements when the gun is firing.

When firing a break open action gun, the firing force is prying the barrel away from the receiver. Maximum perpendicular surface contact (square angle) are needed between the monobloc and receiver to maximize resistance against such prying force.

That's why with the Perazzi square monobloc one can fire the gun with only hand hold the barrel without the locking block. The rounded monobloc action rely solely on it's locking block to hold the barrel.

Because of said (relatively) weakness of this, all newer production (from MX-11) Perazzi "entry level" models start to have the same square monobloc as their standard models. They only save production cost on external cosmetic characters not the integrity of the guns.

7. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Neither gun has ANY strength related advantage or needs it. Both are so over designed that such comparisons are laughable. You would not pull the trigger on a load that would test either gun's structural integrity.
    However, the Boss lugs do, as Steve says, enhance the lock-up, reducing the load on the locking bar proper (the same bar is used in both guns). BUT, the way you close the gun will affect locking bar longevity more than the loads you put thru it. A dedicated gun slammer can wear out an MX8 mucho faster than a sane person with any round monoblock gun.

Treat your gun with some care. Worry about something important like "is my rib high enough?"

8. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The rounded monoblock has many lovers and some people love the MX8 block.

While SteveW and Whiz are two of the most astute guys on this board, if you are going to shoot less than a million rounds through the MX6 I would not worry about either gun.

With proper lubrication and a few replacement springs, a Perazzi will most likely outlive you and your children.

My Mom has a MX3 with a Tom Seitz barrel, sometimes I go shoot it just because it handles and shoots so well!

Don

9. Rich Bullard Jr.

Rich Bullard Jr. Active Member

I just happen to have a very nice MX6 Combo listed on this site.

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Man, it doesn't get any better that this.

We have some very knowledgeable folks on this site, making this one of the best for shooting that one could possibly ask for.

My hat's off to all of the responders, particularly Steve W, or as I refer to him "Mr. Perazzi!"

I agree with Don too... the guns regardless of model are about as tough as you could possibly imagine. If I shot 6 million targets, I'd be a better shot, but my right shoulder would probably be about a foot back! ;-)

Whiz

PS: Rich, what's the thread title? I'm always looking for MX6 stuff.

11. Rich Bullard Jr.

Rich Bullard Jr. Active Member

See link for one really nice MX6 Combo.

12. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

Dan Bonillas Has shot over 300,000 rounds thru a MX-3 (rounded monobloc) and still going----- same as MX-6. The rounded Mono is just as good.

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Jeeeeese!

Anyone that worries about the durability and strengths of a Perazzi ... should buy a Mossberg and quit worrying!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

number of rounds for perazzi lifespan

perazzi lifespan

perazzi lock up

perazzi mx5 locking system

perazzi mx6 shotgun combo

perazzi mx6 versus mx8

perazzi mxs lockup

which perazzi shotguns are square monoblock