1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Doubling

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tinylo, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

I have a Perazzi SCIT O/U, with bottom first trigger group. Today I experienced both barrels firing at nearly the same time during doubles. It got my attention. I thought I had fired a double loaded shell, but was relieved when I saw both primers struck...

I've been noticing the occasional hard opening during singles, now I know that this was probably happening for a while, but I didn't notice during firing as I didn't have a shell in the top barrel, and when I was opening I was cocking both hammer springs as they both had fallen.

I'm taking the gun to Giacomo's as I'll be in Rome soon, but does anybody know what causes this?

Thanks

2. JJM

JJM Member

Many times too lite of trigger pull will cause a doubling.
    Sometimes a good cleaning will cure, if not checking the sears and the area where the hammers mke contact with the sears.
    Joe

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've had that problem when the trigger was dirty. Clean the whole thing, including the inertia block area. Maybe you can save 100.oo.

Ed Yanchok

4. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

I have had this problem, take it to a gun smith don't mess with this as it will mess with your head, Phillip's gunsmithing will cure this for about 35.00 (210-313-5988)he will probably reset your sears as the other person in the thread has said also. I have never had the luck of a good cleaning do the trick and it will probably get worse. Stan

5. vdt

vdt Active Member

buy your self a gallon of mineral spirits and a tupper ware container ,put enough mineral spirits to cover the receiver and clean it with a paint brush,blow it off re-oil it with a good gun oil[TRi-flow ] try it again ,i would try that before i got my wallet out....vdt

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Clean it.

usually solves the problem.

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . and make sure you don't lubricate it with Rem-Oil ® or similar, teflon-containing potions. They'll make it double.

Spray it with Gun-Scrubber ®. Oil it with 3-In-One oil ®, And use it everywhere else besides. If it was good enough for your granddad, it's good enough for you.

Neil

8. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Thanks for your comments, thing is, I just cleaned the trigger group! I did lube it with CLP. I will take another look at it.

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

When the trigger is out of the gun (new or used trigger), and you manually pull the trigger (into a cloth to slow down the hammer fall), does it fire a single hammer, or does it double.

Doubling occurs when the tree is catches both sear nothes at the same time. This is really difficult to do, UNLESS something is amiss. The tree has different length sear engagement areas; the larger denoting the first barrel to fire.

The Inertia Block in normal operation falls backwards with the recoil, pulling the tree with it, and then rebounds (it has a long, small coil spring inside it pressing down on the Connector - a ball looking piece) back into battery.

Many time one can do a pull, pull NOT pulling the Inertia Block back, and the trigger will fire each hammer in succession. This appears to be a mechanical trigger, because you can pull-pull without any movement.

In reality, however, the Inertia Block will always pull the tree away from the fired sear and then place it under the second sear to be fired.

Whiz

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

One other thing is if the trigger pull...sear & hammer engagement, are not perfect, or the pull weight is light, the gun can double. Perazzi apparently realized this (IMHO) and change the hammer pivot pin from one long pin to two shorter ones. If you have the "one pin" pivot pin, replace it with the newer "two pin" hammer pivot pins.

Doug

11. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

I disassembled most of the trigger assembly and found that the lower sear spring is missing its plunger. You think this would cause the doubling?

It has been this way since I got the gun and the doubling is only a recent development so I doubt it...

Thanks, Joe

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I get triggers in often and in about 50% of them, the wrong sear coil is used, and half of them are missing at least one plunger. And many are missing the sleeves too.

Not sure why this happens. No one seems to know when I ask.

Regarding the dual pins, I've seen these in the Cocking Feet too... someone reasembled a trigger incorrectly.

Whiz

13. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Unless it's a external selectable trigger, all the doubling Perazzi triggers I've handled (with correct parts and springs) needs proper cleaning.

Half of the triggers that has missing said plunger will still work, depend on how strong your springs are.

In one case, a friend was shooting heavy pigeon load, the recoil made his trigger finger "bounce" on the "custom tuned" light trigger, that caused a immediate second pull. It sound like automatic fire, not doubling.

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Gee! My TM1 has never doubled!

:)

15. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Ditto Neil and Steve. My MX8 doubled for it's previous owner...cleaned and over lubricated. Cleaning is important, but so is not having lubricant where it's not needed/wanted. FWIW. Cheers-Graham.

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Over lubricating made my cheek,jaw, and shoulder sore. Take Neils advice to avoid anymore 6 dram 2 1/4 oz loads....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.