1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Perazzi DB81 and MX10- Difference?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Dan, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Hello,

Just wondering, I had a couple of shots from a friends rebuilt DB81 today, and was thoroughly impressed. Just wondering a couple of things you guys with more experience with the perazzi models may be able to answer-

1-Do they still make the DB81? if not when where they made?

2- I have noticed the DB81 rib is not only high, but tapers in width, unlike most other Perazzi ribs i have ever seen. Apart from the fixed height rib compared to the MX10 adjustable rib are there any other differences?

3- are they relatively popular over there as i have never seen them in Australia?

Is there anything esle that sets them apart from the rest of the Perazzi family?

Thanks in advance- Danny
  2. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I owned 2 DB81's, both combo sets. The gun is a basic MX8 with a high rib. As with most of the early MX series guns, they shot flat, 50/50. I have shot a TMX (single bbl. with what appears to be the same rib) and the TMX shoots quite a bit higher 70/30, than the DB81. The story is that the DB81 was designed for/by Dan Bonillas in 1981. I have been told that the DB81 that Dan shot had a much higher point of impact than the production guns. I saw a post several months back were someone had just taken delivery of a new DB81 from the factory. I would assume with enough $$$$, Perazzi would build one with the point of impact you want.
  3. Avaldes

Avaldes Active Member

I have also heard that the DB81 has a steel rib where the MX10, and in fact all of the adjustable rib guns have an aluminum rib. So depending on whether you like lighter or heavier barrels, the DB81 may appeal to you. It seems like most you see have barrel weights around 1.75Kg or heavier. The adjustable rib guns seem to center around 1.65Kg.
  4. dustmaker

dustmaker Member

SGS -Shotgun Specialties- had a new DB81 combo with SCO wood upgrade at the Grand in 2008. When I bought it Doug told me that it was the last one of 10 that Perazzi had made because dealers had requested them. I'm so very happy with it that I still shoot it just the way it came out of the box except for the precision trigger.
    D Stearns
  5. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

So, the barrels werent bored any different? forcing cones etc?

Im guessing they had fixed chokes from factory too?

The rib is what i liked the most. you dont see many guns that taper in width toward the muzzle. Im guessing if you wanted the rib fitted on a new MX2000 they could do that for $$$ too?

As far as shooting flat, wouldnt that just me a matter of raising the adjustable comb?
  6. dustmaker

dustmaker Member

Mine has all fixed chokes and and the stock is not adjustable either. It shoots where I'm looking most of the time.
  7. Smiley

Smiley Member

Aussie Dan its Smiley from Brisbane Gun Club ,I am at the moment getting Vicki Keen to make me a higher rib for my MX 2000 once I get all the paperwork done to send the barrel to her.The rib height will be tapered and 18mm higher ending up about 30mm above the barrel,much cheaper than trading and buying a RS 2000
    Smiley
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.