1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Comp 1- Top lever doesnt lock over

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Was at an auction over the weekend and was bidding on a Perazzi Comp 1. Trap gun, 32" step rib barrels, aftermarket wood (nothing fancy, uncheckered and someone dovetailed a add-on piece into the comb to raise it), factory double trigger trigger group (which is a pretty rare bird). Metal seemed to be in pretty good shape.

Anyways, I was inspecting it before the auction started, and noticed the top lever wouldn't stay locked over when you opened the gun, which lead me to stop bidding at probably 1/2 of what I would have gone if it functioned properly.

Am wondering what would cause this for future reference. I know the type 3 top levers can break, and the fix isn't cheap, but could this issue have been caused by something that would have been cheap to fix (and that I should now kick myself over b/c I let the gun go so cheap LOL)? Unfortunately being that it was an auction, there was no way to break the gun down, take the stock off, and look things over.

It ended up going for $825 or $875 (I was the 2nd to highest bid, I probably would have thrown another bid up but the auction ended before I could), so about a grand after tax and premium. A pretty good price, but the top lever not working properly really worried me. I was looking at it as a grand for the gun, MAYBE $400-$500 to have the top lever fixed, and another $500 or so to replace the wood, so I'd have been into it for $2k, and I could most likely buy a Comp 1 in good shape for about the same amt of $.

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

It could be as simple as the top lever was not pushed far enough to reach the catch, or the top lever trip was stuck by debris or dry oil, or even the return spring is broken. In rare cases the catch is worn. Most likely the first two. None of the above will stop the gun from closing and shooting, repeatedly.

A plain, used stock usually goes around $250 on TS.

3. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

What Steve said.
    Don

4. jimctrap

jimctrap Member

The top lever on the older parazzi guns must pushed all the way over a lot further than most any other break open

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I can sell good Comp ones all day for 3k

6. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

It is also possible that the stock was not from a Comp 1 and did not have the wood properly fit and is blocking the trip lever from moving freely. Bill

7. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

Did the pin stick out when lever was pushed over?

8. 5141

5141 Member

The "aftermarket" wood may not have been inletted properly,causing the pin/cam to bind and preventing it from staying/clicking into position when the gun was opened...

9. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Ian, whatever it is, it is a very easy and cheap fix. I think you really missed the "boat" this time.
    DOn

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Illtrap- I did not.

Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk. It was the first auction I'd ever been to, and I was a little trepidatious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi comp 1 opening lever spring

the top lever on my perazzi wont move