1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi coil spring triggers?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich C, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich C

Rich C TS Member

Would you please share your experience and knowlege of non-removable coil spring triggers, from feel to maintanance and durability.

Thanks,

Rich

2. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Rich, coil springs may be the way to go because leaf springs break without warning. I've never known a good sturdy coil spring to break. They may get weaker with time and use but they just don't suddenly snap as leaf springs do when in use.

Hit 'em hard,

John

3. Rich C

Rich C TS Member

4. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

I like them because they are not removeable. It seems everyone who owns a removable trigger can;t help but f--- with it. jack

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Kimberly Rhode won 4 Olympics with her coil spring MX-12.

I had a factory detachable trigger with coil springs, never feel any difference.

6. Guy

Guy Member

Sorry Jack. Perazzi makes a removable coil spring trigger. As with leaf spring triggers, a coil spring job will work just fine for most applications.....but if you shoot alot for money, or shoot for alot of money, like flyers, the idea is to eliminate any possible cause of a non-fire or gun problem issue in general.....I know, it's getting alittle carried away. But if your gun has choke tubes, an adjustable comb, leaf spring trigger, selective trigger, adjustable butt, adjustable rib, or anything like these things, you have multiplied the chances of gun issues.....and at the ring.....there is no FTF.....and one bird can mean big.....

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have never owned a non removable coil spring trigger. But I have broken a coil spring and the guide rod at the same moment. That was a first for all of us. The trick to owning one of these fixed trigger guns is to be prepared and have a tool that you can change out springs with. I use a modified screwdriver, but a special adapted vise grips would seem the ticket.

8. JGS

JGS Member

Since the late 1970s, I have shot a Perazzi Grand Italia that has a fixed trigger with coil springs. I can't even begin to guess the number of rounds shot through this gun. During that time, the only problems I've had is one broken hammer and one cracked firing pin, and the problem with the firing pin happened this year. I have had the hammer coil springs replaced three times in the 40 years I've owned this gun. I'm not sure they needed replacing, they were working just fine, but I just felt that it was probably prudent to do so. Were I to get a new Perazzi, I would order one with coil springs which I understand is an option on most, if not all, Perazzi models. Regarding the possible concern that the coil springs will lose their strength over time, that is probably true, but any weakening doesn't amount to much. and it is something that happens slowly over the years. I unconsciously adjust to any gradual change in lock time over the years so it's not a problem. With coil springs, one can put in new springs when it is convenient, and not because it is necessary.
    JGS

9. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

My GarandItalia has at least 100K rounds through it - I've broken a hammer and a firing pin as well. No other problems.

10. twopipe

twopipe Member

do you guys remember which hammer it was ? I have an issue with my MT6 top hammer

11. Rich C

Rich C TS Member

Thanks you guys for all the good info.

Rich

12. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

I have an MX7 with coil springs I bought in '94 & never had any issue with them breaking.

13. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

Under barrel hammer broke - the one I shoot all the time

14. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Regarding the broken hammer, was it cut for release hook at one time?

15. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

Nope - standard hammer- it broke from metal fatigue from being shot!

Happened at the Grand this year on my 3rd pair of doubles on my second trap in the Championship doubles. Went to Giaccomo's to get it fixed instead of using my spare gun, and he took care of me in about 10 minutes and got me out to the makeup trap . . .

He said that it's usually the bottom hammer that breaks (suppose they're shot more) - as an aside, I told him to replace the springs if needed while he had it apart (I've replaced them once) - he checked the tension and said they were fine - would be a waste of money. They have between 30 and 50K on 'em by my estimate.

16. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have both. The coil springs cause me to flinch terribly. They just don't work properly in my Perazzi due to horrible flinching problem. Now my leaf springs work flawlessly. Oh, did I mention that the coil springs are pull/pull? I flinch on any pull trigger and that may be causing me to flinch. My leaf springs, which are double release, don't cause me to flinch. My conclusion would be it is the coil spring that is causing my flinch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.