1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi coil spring conversion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SLH, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLH

SLH TS Member

Just wondering if anyone has converted a Perazzi trigger to coil springs and whether or not you liked it.

Thanks

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Had a P gun that came w/ the coil springs and I couldn't tell any difference between the coil and leaf spring triggers. I don't know the cost of a conversion, but in my opinion, why spend the $$$?

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Why would you wnat to?

Coils springs get softer, and softer, and softer to the point that you wonder what in the heck is wrong with your shooting.

The leaf springs work and then after a while, and thank God, it breaks...signaling to you that it's time to change it. In a minute you can change it, and then you are back in the game.

Their leaf spring, or even our heavier duty leaf spring, is the best thing since sliced bread.

IMHO.

Whiz White

4. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Whiz,

Can coil springs be converted to leaf springs?

Charlie

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Isn't it strange that millions of guns have been made with coil springs and continue to work perfectly...and not require you to have an extra trigger group in your shooting bag?

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I would look at what kind of springs are in the top guns around the world.. As Whiz said.. coil springs are great if you change them.. Working for Dan this year.. we had a few Perazzi coil spring guns come thru that for the life of me.. don't know how they still worked.. A new spring and they were as good as new.. I would suggest to many.. the need for a spare trigger is based upon the huge number of people who claim to be "gunsmiths"..and get their hands on your trigger.. It takes but moments to change a hammer spring..

I see no design flaw in either setup..only poor maintainence by many shooters..

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

My friedn had his flat spring break during a registered shoot. Rather than hold uop his squad he took a waiting shooter's offer and finished with a borropwed gun - an lost a number of targets.

I have seen coil spring guns with broken springs fire. In fact, in one case the coil spriings may have been broken for a long time and the shooter never noticed it. If a flat spring breaks, you are finished - until you replace it.

8. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

i think perazzi should talk to kreighoff if there coil springs last any less than 10years!! i had a set replaced last year at alan rhones they only lasted 12 years.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

To some of our better shooters that can pick up just about any gun and shoot well..a coil spring could be a great advantage.. Some of us..the trigger must be exact.. As the coil springs get weaker.. and weaker..our scores plumet as the timing is off..

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I use both coil springs and flat springs, as PBB said, some top shooters can shoot any gun. Kim Rhode won 4 Olympics with her coil spring MX-12 is a good example.

As for who should talk to who about how to build a shotgun, I think the following pictures can tell us something, if you don't get it, forget about it.

From left, Perazzi flat spring trigger action, Perazzi coil spring action, and finally the famous German K-gun action.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I can tell you Kim's coil springs are changed on a very regular basis.. To be at the top of your game.. your equipment must be properly maintained.. Her equipment is fully checked quite often.. The results.. no failures..

12. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Well said, Steve.

13. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

I don't think how many years a spring lasts is of much value. How many rounds fired would be a better indicator. I have both Perazzi coil spring in my TMX and Leaf springs in my DB-81. I changed out the coil spring when ever I felt it was not up to snuff, never broke one. I have broken only 1 leaf spring in competetion and I just went to the other barrel to finish up then changed the spring. Not a issue for me. Post-2

14. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I have to agree with Whiz, the leaf spring is superior for competition especially at higher levels.

IF you keep the coils changed out and in good shape they will work good too, many different designs, some put more "overbuild" into their designs, some are slanted to end user performance. You can take a batch of coil springs that are rated for say 22lbs and test them all and you will find readings all over the place, most guns that would call for a 22lb know that after a certain amount of rounds the coil will settle into the range they really want it to be. It will also shorten a significant amount if you compare it to a unused spring. Problem is they all don't do the same thing, some drop more weight than others some drop it quicker and so on which changes the trigger feel which a high level competitor can detect, and toss his timing enough to hurt his scores.

A leaf spring tends to be good from the start or not, it either breaks in the first 200 rounds or goes on a normal life span. During that normal life span it will tend to remain more consistent.

The more accomplished you get the more the little things can upset your game, I know some will disagree but some will understand.

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

How often should oil be changed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you change leaf springs to coil springs on a perazzi mx 2003

coil spring set for a perazzi shotgun

diff between coil spring and flat spring shotgun

perazzi coil spring pliers

perazzi coil spring trigger

perazzi coil springs