1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi cocking problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill Marsh, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

A few days ago my MX3 developed a cocking problem. I do not have selectable barrel feature. The top barrel must fire first. But when I tried to pull the trigger it would hang and not fire. I found that if I moved the safety just slightly, it would fire every time I pulled the trigger.

This is an intermittent problem. Sometimes it fires when I pull the trigger and other times I must move the safety slightly and it will fire when I pull the trigger. I do not have an automatic safety. It is not moving the safety into "safe" mode.

"Safe" mode is different in that the trigger will pull all the way, it just does not fire. With my problem the trigger just will not pull back at all.

Please note two following pictures. In the first, I show the sears not lined up after cocking. In the second picture I show them lined up and ready to fire. Notice how little I moved the safety.

Though this is a 1983 gun, I find no wear that could be causing this. It is also intermittent,

Your kind assistance is requested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Something is not allowing the trigger to return fully forward. Remove the safety button from the receiver and then watch the movement of the trigger and sears. My first guess would be some debris caught behind the trigger.

Could also be the inertia block is a little tight in the pivoting area of the trigger. I see that there's some type of plating or TiN coating on the parts, This may have tightened up some tolerances.

Doug

3. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

GunDr,

I think that you are well-named! Seems to have been some debris behind the trigger. Possibly this gun was stored for a long time and the oil turned to varnish behind the trigger. But whatever it was, I blew the assembly out with compressed air and it has worked ten times in a row without one failure!

Taking it out to Tom Lowe today and will shoot some clay. Will get back to you after that.

What you see as plating may be the gold on some parts. This is an MX3 SCO ORO and has a lot of gold-colored parts. I think they would have allowed for that clearance.

I owe you a case of beer! Or a couple of range tokens!

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Bill: The lower picture of the sear and tree in firing position... wow, that shows a helluva lot of trigger creep there, probably 0.020"-0.030". That is probably too much.

What does it feel like?

Also, a drop of oil on the ball-shaped plunger #167, letting the oil flow up and inside the cavity would be helpful too. There is a long coil spring pushing down on the ball-plunger.

Whiz

5. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

FOUND THE ANSWER!

Whiz suggested oiling the plunger in the inertia block. I found this (see picture).

Now if I can find Whiz and order a new part................. :)

[​IMG]

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Whiz's web site is above his thread, click on it.

Or call him at: 605-341-4412, he stays in the shop late.

7. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

Whiz is shipping me the parts Overnight Express. Much appreciated! Great service! Bought from him before.

Thanks, everyone and also to Bryce for his PM.

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Parts will be there Friday.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.