1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi choke question -- barrels made in 1983 20g

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill Marsh, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

My MX3 originally came with a 26" 20ga barrel o/u. The chokes that came with the set are threaded at the top and are 2 1/2" long.

The 20ga barrel is numbered the same as the gun, so I suspect they came together. FWIW the receiver also accepts a 12ga barrel set that was made in 1987.

The barrel is marked as 3" chambers.

Any ideas about these chokes? I would like to buy some more, or have custom chokes made.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

Are these Perazzi chokes? Look familiar to anyone?

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

First.. Are the barrels belled at the end??? These chokes look like Briley to me.. Perazzi chokes are thick.. and these look thin.. plus the writting looks Briley..

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Ditto Mike's comments.

5. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

Barrels don't seem belled. Maybe I misunderstand "belled." Please explain?

This gun (20ga and gun mfg date 1983) was fitted with a 12 ga barrel and Kolar tubes. 12 ga barrel date mfg is 1987. Looks like special case (Americase) was fitted to hold gun, 20ga barrel and 12ga barrel. Top of this case holds Kolars, these chokes and choke wrench. Possibly all made at the same time?

Chokes are thin. Should I send pictures to Briley?

Note chokes and wrench in front of Kolar tubes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bill-the chokes you picture are def. Briley chokes, as is the choke tube wrench in your last photo. They have no relationship to the Kolar tubes you picture above. Perazzi factory chokes of that era are knurled at the end so that you can remove them without a wrench. They did have a wrench that was a complete circle at the end and slipped over the extended knurled section. Do these chokes fit your 20ga.? you were not clear in your description. If they do I'll guess that your 20ga. barrels were originally fixed choke, as most were in 20ga. and someone had Briley fit these chokes. If that is the case then YES--Briley can supply more chokes. You could mail them one and they could match it up for you in whatever constriction you wanted. Just give them a call. Good luck. BD

7. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

Thank you Boomer,

I did not mean to suggest that these chokes had any relationship to the Kolars except that the chokes may have been added when the Kolars were made in 1987 and that the chokes could possibly be a later and aftermarket addition.

Yes, these chokes were made for the 20ga barrel. I have two SK1, one IC, One IM and one full. Pretty good range right now.

I will get with Briley, or possibly AnglePort/Ballistic Specialties and have some more made. I already have a relationship with AnglePort and their chokes have a good reputation. They are also markedly cheaper than Briley.

I am having custom chokes made by AnglePort for my 12ga barrel at $35/each. Extended, not ported. That sounds like what 007 would say if ordering chokes :)

Thanks again for your help!

8. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

Looks like Briley is the only one who can make Briley. Too bad, Briley is $85 a pop for custom extended and others are half or less the price.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Wright makes a Briley threaded choke..and so does Clearview chokes.. Both do excellent work.. The bunker chokes Clearview did for me are exceptional at extreme ranges.. I use Wright for everything else..

10. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

Good idea Mike,

Found Wrights
    http://www.wrightsgunsmiths.com/Wrightschokes.htm

Can't find Clearview. Have heard of them, but just spent some time on Google with no real results as far as a website.

When I talked with AnglePort and Trulock, they said they could not easily make Briley chokes threads (IE expensive to retool). I did not know that Wrights and Clearview could make them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.