1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Choke Question - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gun fitter, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Too many variables 1 what ammo? shot size. distance to target? where is it broken 25 or 35 yards from shooter. who is shooting how proficent are you 99.3 16yrd average or a solid 89%? Get the point! you would need to test the barrels side by side to really know. Factory barrels untouched are considered more valuble than those messed with but most of the top shooters have some work done to ther barrels. Do you want to preserve the value of the gun or shoot better scores? Joe goldberg

2. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

If you want variable chokes, get factory ones. They are fine chokes. Perazzi knows what they are doing. Brileys, while good chokes, will drop the resale value of the barrel in half. (And cost you about 500 bucks in the bargain.) Jake

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I'm looking for a set of half price briley choked Mx8 barrels. Jake do you have any for sale? I'll take a set serriously. Joe goldberg

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I personally went with a fixed #8 choke (.032 nominal, .030 actual) and use it for singles and caps. It smokes targets all the way back to the 27.

My new barrel came with a #9 choke (.035" actual). That's OK as well.

If you want chokes, buy the barrel with factory extended chokes. Then use the #6 (.024") or the #8 (.032") for singles and short yardage caps. Use the #8 or the #10 for long yardage caps depending on which works best.

It's not as complicated as some make it out to be.

5. VNVET

VNVET Member

In my opinion, Perazzi is know for their fixed chokes and when you take it to the pattern board at 35 yds you'll cry like a baby. You WILL be happier than a pig in the sunshine. I can't say the same for the tubes. Get a fixed full at .034 and you won't regret it. Learn to shoot it a 16 and when you get to 27 or whatever, you'll be glad you did. Others may have a different opinion.....some like Fords, some like Chevy's. I will say this, I would not buy a choke tube Perazzi for trap, for my own use, no matter how cheap it was.

Jim

6. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

gun fitter (Joe), I own several that I have bought for 1200 or less. You have to keep your eyes open. (Course, you will have to compete with me.) But, if you think I am wrong, then try selling a set with after market chokes for 2,500 or more. Better yet, try to sell a set with Brileys and ported. Any barrel work done on Perazzi barrels makes them worth less in the open resale market. And, I'm pretty active in that market. Jake

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Jake seriously I do need a set for a hunting budy of mine His were destroyed and I just lent him my type 4 barrels and forend Iron but would like to get my barrels back from him some time soon Call me Joe Goldberg 609 231 6187 mabe you can make some Money

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Actually it all depends on the buyer A wilkerson barrel that is too tight or too loose is worth no more to me than a briley choked barrel maby less. Any barrel that shoots good is worth more than one that does not. example fqctory barrel opened up to skeet by wilkerson or briley choke tubes or factory origional .042 Which do you prefer. Joe goldberg

9. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If you shot the MX-2000 with fixed full choke really well, get a MX-2000 with fixed choke.

You did not write at what distance?

Then you start asking about shooting 16 yard targets with a Full choke or Briley Modified thin walls?

Can we assume that you shot the MX-2000 really well at 16 yards?

FYI Briley thin wall choke system are put into fixed choke barrels. If you feel that you will score better with a Modified or Improved Modified choke at 16 yards, you should consider a MX-2000 with factory installed choke tubes. Now if you pick up the fixed full choke and pattern it and get a 20" pattern at 30 yards, then you send it to Briley for a thin wall job.

Jason

10. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

any alterations by any so called "barrelsmith" will decrease the value of the gun. wilkinson at least marks his work so that you can bid less for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.