1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Choke Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HotRodA10, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

I need some help here with the chokes in my Perazzi MX8. The barrels are stamped 18.4, and the gun came with Perazzi factory chokes in 0, 4, 6, 8. I'm looking to buy a pair of #1 factory chokes but when I measure the inside of my barrel (without tubes in) the diameter measures about 20.5 which corresponds to the outside diameter of the chokes. I'm lost as to what chokes I should buy 18.4, 18.7, ???? Can anyone help?? Thanks.

Rod

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Show me your choke tubes, I can tell you what you have, we can go from there.

3. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

I'll take some pics tomorrow and hopefully figure out how to post them. I'm pretty sure they are third generation tubes; threads at the bottom, flush, and black. Thanks for the replies so far.

Rod

4. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Here are a few pics of my chokes. Sorry, the images aren't very good.

Rod
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Steve W

3rd. generation chokes. That's the only one I don't have, sorry.

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I thought that all you need is the generation of the choke, then just ask for constriction 1 to 10. So if SteveW got the generation right, you would ask for two 3rd generation #1 chokes.

Now if you want exactly .004" constriction, you need to send the barrels to a choke maker that can make 3rd generation Perazzi chokes. The choke maker will measure each barrel and make the chokes according to each barrels actual diameter.

Jason

7. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Please ask Whiz. These look like mine and I have 4th generation chokes.

Regards

W&W

8. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Washandwear, You must be new on here. Steve W knows more about P guns than anybody on this site, including Whiz. They are 3rd gen chokes.

9. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Thanks to everyone for your replies. If I understand correctly, these are third generation chokes, and according to the research I've done, they only came in one bore size; is that correct?

Rod

10. Steve W

Yes. Only 18.4 mm. If your bore gage reads differently, try another gage, the Italian proof house numbers are very accurate. Unless the barrel has been worked on.

Perazzi started to make big bore barrels years after they switch to 4th generation chokes.

The max. bore size allowed by the Italian proof house is 18.8 mm.

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've got lots of Gen 1, gen 2 and gen 4 c/ts, but no gen 3s. Are gen 3 & 4 interchangeable??

12. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Thank you everyone for your help. Now all I have to do is find two #1 3rd generation choke tubes.

Rod

13. Steve W

Rod, you'll have better lock finding #2 chokes.

14. twopipe

twopipe Member

where in the barrel are you taking the barrel measurement ?

15. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

I've taken measurements on the inside of the barrel with the chokes removed, and also on the outside of the choke tubes. I know the measurements seem whacky but the digital gauge I'm using appears to be accurate. I know something is not quite right because the stock factory choke tubes fit just fine.

Regarding Steve's recommendation to buy #2 tubes: I have a set of Briley ultralight tubes for my barrels and the reason I'm looking for #1 chokes is because the Brileys in 28 & 410 fit just a little loose at the muzzle with the #0 chokes. The 20 ga. tubes fit just fine. Just looking to tightening up the fit on the 28 & 410 a tad. I've measured the end of both of those gauges, compared the maesurements to the Perazzi factory inside diameter/constriction numbers, and I don't think they would fit in #2 chokes.

Rod

16. JimBailey

JimBailey Member

Steve W. and EuroJoe you have a PM

Jim Bailey

17. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

at least, now it makes some sense! .004 worth of choke wasn't worth the bother.
    But then again, buying 40-80 dollars worth of c/t doesn't make sense either. Why don't you shim up the skinny ones with tape? Odd number Perazzi tubes are difficult to find, and I don't think you want to change c/ts every time you change gauges.

18. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Sorry, I've been away from this post for a while. I have put a small amount of fingernail polish, yes...fingernail polish, on the tube supports and that seem to do the trick to stop the slight rattle. Kind of odd but it did the trick.

Rod

19. Steve W

Rod, if finger nail polish worked, maybe Teflon tape will work better.

20. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Before just getting Perazzi #1 chokes, you should talk to Briley to hear what they suggest. Especially if you bought the sub-gauge tubes from them.

If you do decide on new chokes, I think that you should have Briley make 2 custom chokes to precisely fit the bigger one of the tube sets or the one you use the most.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what choke should i use in my perazzi m15

perrazzi m15

what size perazzi choke should i use for trap

year perazzi made gen 3 barrels