1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Checkering

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MDMike, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I have a question here. I'm redoing my TM-1 and am in the stock refinishing part now. I want to go over the checkering to freshen it up a bit after I'm done. How many LPI and what checkering tool should I use (I have read somewhere it's 60 degree). Thanks, Mike.....

2. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Dembart makes a checkering gauge to used to determine the number of lines per inch. It is a template that you lay over the checkering and line up the grooves to the the gauge lines on the template. Brownell's list them but are currently out of stock. You may not need a spacer if the checkering is not too worn. A single line tool will work well if the grooves are sufficient to follow without run out. A 60 degree cutter is best to stay in old grooves followed by light use of a 90 degree cutter if necessary. Work carefully and don't try to cut full depth in one pass.

3. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. I am a fairly experenced woodworker but I've never tackled checkering. You are spot on with everything I have read. Go slow and take your time is what I have read. The checkering is not too badly worn so I guess all I'll be doing is "touching up" or "repointing" so to speak. Again, thanks, Mike

4. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Repointing as you describe it is not too difficult but the checkering on my TMX is very fine and would be tedious to recut. Do a few lines in short sections and then do a few lines across it in the other direction. That way you can always see the lines. If you do them all in one direction the lines in the other direction may not be real obvious. Better to go over it lightly more than one time than try to cut full depth the first pass.

5. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

My experience has been that Perazzi is a non-inch spacing so you are going to have to single point the whole thing but NBD w/ that. Use a single 60deg and plan on a couple hrs.

6. high 2

high 2 Member

Perazzi will be 24LPI or 26LPI.I`ve never ran across an odd LPI as semperfi909 stated above, but don`t doubt that they are out there. And do agree, regardless of the LPI, the single line 60degree toll is the best approach. They always appear finer than that because of the long narrow diamonds Perazzi uses. Most are 3.5 to 1 to 4 to 1. If the checkering is very worn I wouldn`t recommend an amateur taking it on. I think the biggest problem is that with the finer checkering, the shallower the checkering is in the wood. Over time with the use of the gun the checkering wears and in the process, oils from your hands will be absorbed in to the checkering breaking down the wood fibers. When trying to repoint the wood fibers pull and tear and don`t cut as they would in an oil free piece of wood. It can be done, but takes a lot more time than most other stocks. I refinished one for trap2(Dan Thome) last year and spent 2 days just repointing the checkering. Have fun and don`t rush it. Larry

7. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Thanks all. Yes, I have plenty of time, and from what I understand, don't rush it is the operative word. I'm looking forward to the challenge of recutting the checkering (I think). I'll keep you all posted as how it goes. Again, thanks to all. Mike.....

8. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

I had mine redone and the fellow did a great job. He said the tools used by Perazzi qare metric in measurement,you may want to explore this. Jack

9. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I have tried 24,26,28 from two dif makers. None fit Perazzis. But that's just my experience. YMMV of course but every time I recut a Pgun it's the single pointer for the whole thing. A metric would obviously be 25.4 /in which seems way reasonable since neither a 24 or a 26 fir properly.

If you decide to use a multi-line cutter you might want to run it on a not often viewed area first - - - JIC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi checkering

perazzi gunstock checkering

perazzi wood checkering lpi