1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PERAZZI Blueing Fade ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lbshootin, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

How come the Perazzi's seem to have blueing fading on the reciever more than any other manufacturer? I have heard several quesses, but none that really sound true. If this is the premier trap gun, it just seems that they would have better blueing...Thanks..lb

2. Mr. Marcy

Mr. Marcy TS Member

To quote old man Perazzi himself, "Do you want to have a gun that shoots great or a gun that looks great?" Thats what they told me when I asked them. The reason behind it is that Perazzis are made from softer metal than others and that the blue doesn't adhere quite as good if it were out of a harder steal.

Mr. Marcy

3. bigben

bigben Active Member

IB, Perazzi blue fading has more to do with failing manufacturing pride than other factors, the blueing is very thin on all parts including the barrels and levers etc. I purchased a new in the box DB-81 combo set and in less than 200 rounds had pronounced blue wear on the top lever! took it to Perazzi back than in Vandalia at the Grand, -Tall Italian [forgot his name] looked at it, normal deterioration!-BS, solder runs on the barrels etc. that's just poor workmanship, the early P guns I had were much better in pride and workmanship, my 2000 is a joke next to my K guns, just get used to thin blueing, etc. it's today's Perazzi std. of excellence incinerate em!

4. trap41

trap41 TS Member

Big Ben ....

Some say that Perazzi is the better Gun, and that many are copying the perazzi receiver (ie: Kolar) etc.

Kreigoff, I have been told, has copied the Remington 3200 frame and is not necessarily considered the end all of competition shotshell guns.

Anyone know the truth here?

Trappy

5. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Blueing, more correctly called back oxide, is applied in a high temp (290F) caustic solution. Smallish manufacturers like Perazzi likely don't do this in house and send it out to a job shop metal finisher. In the USA, and I'll bet in Italy too, black oxide shops tend towards being back-alley operations without much quality control, and I'll bet the black oxide on some Perazzis lasts well, and some doesn't. It has nothing to do with the hardness of the steel. Look at the black oxide on a Rem 1100 - you'll find it's good quality and doesn't vary from one gun to another. Rem does theirs in-house, and has a metallurgist in charge of the operation. I've talked to him a few times, and he knows what he's doing.

Black oxide at best is very thin (50 millionths of an inch) and isn't really all that hard, so it can be damaged by poor cleaning and rough handling. It also adds very little corrosion resistance, what corrosion protection there is is almost entirely due to to rust preventive you use.

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Abacus, You said you don't know of a shotgun company that has improved their shotgun for over 70 years like Krieghoff? How about a Browning superposed that started production in 1926.

George

7. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Famous for blueing wear but probably more famous for spring breakage. Yup, sounds like a premier target gun to me.

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The hot dip bluing is hot dip bluing. You'll only get the metal so black, and so deep, that's it.

Your cold-rolled/mild steels will take to the black oxiding the best. When you begin to add other alloys or apply different heat-treating methods, this will affect how well the bluing will hold up. Examples are the purple receivers on Ruger rifles and 90-T's (castings w/silicone) and higher nickel contents like the M-12.

The Perazzi isn't that much different than any other break-open gun. Ljutics, Brownings, Kolars, and blued Berettas, will all show handling wear, especially around the botton edges of the receiver. The sweaty your hands are the faster it will deteriorate the bluing. As mention earlier, bluing isn't there for a lot of protection, mostly looks. It's just a chemically controlled rusting process.

9. hitpair

hitpair TS Member

Toolmaker? Where can a person buy a 2007 Browning Superposed? I looked all over the Browning website and nothing like that offered.

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

My mother's late ex-husband was a brother (a Grasselli) with two others, Thomas and Caesar, who were on the BOD of DuPont. At that time DuPont owned Remington Arms. Cesar was kind to me and got Remington to provide me many guns to shoot trap with. I did settle on a Perazzi, however, but used several 3200 Competitions set up for doubles.

Hal DuPont took the prints for the original Model 32 Remington to Germany and that is where Krieghoff began manufacturing the gun with the same name.

Whiz White

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

GunDr has it--

When you talk to people that do a lot of this-- you hear that hardened steel and alloys are tough to blue

thats the case with the P gun receivers

regards

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rebluing perazzi barrels