1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Barrel ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

About 10% less value. To most.

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Actually, only a tire kicker would tell you its value is less, or someone wanting a new gun out of a used gun, or someone trying to get a "deal."

I ship all my new Perazzis to Briley BEFORE I even take a personal inspection of them.

To me, I would pay the same if nor more to have a barrel tubed by Briley. It sure as hell save me about $300-$400 having it done.

It's like this: shoot the damn thing with a super tight choke and lose to all the rest of us who've had choke work done, ... and keep its value, or tube it and start winning, and if you ever do sell it, it will have appreciated enough to not even make it a questionable concern.

I liken this to the same thinking that all the numbers must match on the barrel and receiver. My man in Italy just laughs at us Americans because we are so over-concerned with the number thing. If one is a true collector: (1) you'd never shoot the gun, (2) never alter it or put it together. That's another story, because most of us don't collect, we shoot them.

IMHO.

Whiz White

4. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I'm in the 10-20% less camp.

Trapshooting is a full choke game and there is no need for tubes.

5. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I'm with Whiz on this one. To me it is worth a premium to have a barrel optimized for it's intended purpose. One choke for singles and another for HC makes the most sense to me. If a barrel were done by a competent smith, such as Briley or Wilkenson, it would be worth more to me. Those that say FULL ONLY for everything are kidding themselves. And before I get a bunch of conflicting PM's, I know there are many that feel Full is the only way to go. That is their opinion and I am not trying to change it. Let them choose their own poison. Simply put, A MOD or IM choke will break you more birds from the 16 yd line than will a FULL. "But I like to see smoke when I shoot. It lets me know I am in the center of the target". If you have the ability to center every target (I don't) a FULL choke is fine, a looser choke will still smash targets and inprove your score as well as your confidence.

If you like the idea of choke tubes, do not let those that insist "FULL ONLY" influence you otherwise. There are plenty of people that appreciate optimized barrels and willing to pay for them. To find a good used one without paying a premium would indeed be a bonus.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Before the nay sayers jump on my back, please remember I have respected your right to have a varying opinion no matter how wrong it is. (LOL) Just trying to stir the pot with the last remark.

Good luck, Marc

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I fully agreed with Whiz on this issue. Briley chokes does not devalue the barrel, this is a topic I discussed with Lucio before.

In a non-collectable gun, it's generally a plus.

I had Teague put chokes in my Holland & Holland SxSs, Purdey O/Us, and few of my SCOs before they were shipped to me. I had no problem with buyers when selling any one of them with Teague flush chokes in.

But, extended chokes will have a different story on certain guns. Ported ones, forget it.

As Whiz's friend said, it's silly about numbers. Unless it's a collectable gun.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've been known to buy a gun just for the original.. unscrewed with barrel.. Tubes by Wilkinson is a vast cry from Briley.. The barrels I wanted Briley chokes in.. I sent to Stu Wright..so I was sure they would come back like I wanted..

Choketubes are my last resort to saving a barrel.. I do not like choketubes.. never have.. never will.. Guess that makes me a tire kicker..

All Good.. Happy 4th.. Mike

8. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

It depends. On a barrel used for sporting clays I want choke tubes.
    Trap is a known distance game and rarely do you get a tubed barrel that patterns as well as a fixed.
    I might be biased living within 20 miles of Kerry Allor but I have seen the evidence on paper(2D pict) of a 3D event.
    I am not advocating shooting full from the 16 either.

9. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Have Wilkinson do your tubes and have him check your bbls before he does them.
    I am just not a fan of Briley installed choke tubes & will run the other way unless I can pattern them first. I do like the choke tubes themselves.

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Who was it that posted Tom Wilkinson did the Fabbri choketubes???

Also.. Not that it sounds like I'm really unsure of Briley..(which I am).. But in my choketube days.. before I knew Stu Wright.. Ballistic Specialties did my choketubes.. Before each job.. if there were any doubts or questions..I'd get a call from the installer..if the barrel was not bored exactly even.. etc.. how did I want to go forward?? or how did I want the bore corrected before the tubes were installed??

I might be giving Briley a bad rap.. They do more choketubes than anyone else in the world..so.. just by numbers..you'll get more unhappy customers than the little guy.. Guess.. I miss that personal interaction I get from Stu and Ballistic Specialties.. Anyway.. to get max. money from me.. Virgin barrel.. at least .020/.030 choke extra money .032/.044 choketubes..less
    ported.. less backbored..less funny barrel finish..less cat3.. less

Now.. I would tell ANYONE selling a choketubed barrel.. to quickly eliminate
    a negative feeling from a buyer.. Have a few pattern sheets to clearly show POI of both barrels.. Given the chance to shoot the barrels..and prove to myself they pattern correctly..I'd still deduct some..then again.. maybe not if it came with a few extra choketubes.. Shooting is the key..I then know..either the barrels are good and need no extra money to correct a problem.. or Leave them on the table... All Good.. Mike

11. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

If you put tubes in every gun, why don't you just get guns already factory tubed by Perazzi? If you have to have Brileys you can get tubes from them that fit the Perazzi threads.
    Color me not understanding

C

12. Guy

Guy Member

Unless you are shooting sporting clays, choke tubes are a waste....because, if you think you need a different choke, you probably need a different gun....because you are playing a different game.....a dedicated trap gun needs only fixed chokes......and if you try to tell me that a different shell requires a different choke, I'd say you're spending too much time thinking about the wrong stuff.

Besides, what's wrong with needing a different gun?

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Stuck tubes.. bulged barrels.. seen them all... had them all.. sorry.. don't like tubes.. Not having them is 1 less thing to worry about..

14. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Why not shoot the same barrel/choke combination for all disciplines, skeet, 5 stand, sp clays, and trap singles and long yardage.

It's because the distance at which you break the bird is not the same. 10-20 yds at skeet, mod for 5stand (?), sp clays (?).

Trap singles and 27yd HC targets are shot at differnt distances. Who can argue with any certainy that one choke will work best for targets so varied in distance. Many have tried right here on this forum. To my mind all have failed. My opinion and I'm sticking to it. Please remember before jumping on my back that I have not denied you your opinion.

I will state that I believe a good factory fixed choke will do a superior job compared to a similar screw in choke, but that is not always the case. Perazzi factory screw ins seem to perform very well. My Ljutic has two fixed choke barrels, one of .022" choke and one of .041". The .041 breaks 27yd targets as hard as anything out there but my .022 barrel will flat explode a singles target. Why shoot a lazer when a flashlight sheds adequate light over a larger area?

Whew, I'm tired. Marc

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. I'm nobody.. but line up 10 big dogs.. as ask to see their screw chokes..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.