1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Barrel, what does it fit??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I recently purchased this pictured Perazzi barrel. I believe it should be for MX type receivers but am uncertain. Ser# 45XXX, 34", porting done by Seitz? (C.C. SEITZ lightly stamped into bottom of block), MAP 70 stamped (is this important in finding a receiver to fit?). Rib is very similar to the Ithica import TM1 with the wide, stepped rib.

Anyone wanting to part with a 32' Perazzi O/U that this barrel could be fitted to please send me an email or PM.

It has been suggested, thru this post, that I may be better off buying an existing combo. I feel that may be a wise suggestion.

I'm not yet sure that I want to part with this barrel, but IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN MAKING AN OFFER or TRADE, PLEASE COMMUNICATE BY EMAIL OR PM ONLY.

Thanks, Marc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Need another photo to properly identify. What does the forearm latch look like?

It appears that what you have is the combo barrel from a type 3 gun however need to see the latch to determine exactly.

Tom

3. luvtrapguns

Tom, I will take and post latch picture in the next few minutes.

LATCH PIC HAS BEEN ADDED TO ORIGINAL GROUP
    Thanks, Marc

4. dward

dward Member

Marc,

The serial # identifies it as a type 3 vintage. The type 3s were all hand fitted which makes swapping barrels a crap shoot. Honestly if you want a combo, instead of buying a double to fit your barrel, you might be better off selling the barrel and buying a combo with matching serial #s.

What do you have now that you bought the barrel for?

Dan

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Its a type 3 barrel. You will have to find someone interested in it.

What do you want to do with it?

Tom

6. luvtrapguns

Dan and Tom, The only Perazzi I have is an early Ithica import TM1 (ser# 11XX). I am a perazzi nut case. I have owned several before I stopped shooting. a TM1 took me to the 27 yd. line. I bought the barrel without a gun in mind. I think you may be right about finding an existing combo. I want to get back into shooting and Perazzi is my confidence builder, at least at this point.

Not sure that I want to part with this barrel yet. If anyone is interested in buying it I will consider offers. Barrel bluing is great except where forend wood has it worn. Bore and chamber good. My bore micrometer is on the fritz and new one will not be here for awhile.

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN MAKING AN OFFER or TRADE, PLEASE COMMUNICATE BY EMAIL OR PM ONLY.

Thanks, Marc

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I would like to know the process for putting a type 4 barrel lug onto a top single barrel; it can't be rocket science or is it ?

8. dward

dward Member

Mike

I think moving/changing the lug would be the easiest part. Getting the barrel to fit properly into the receiver so that head space and all important variables are right is the harder part. I have a type 3 combo that I bought a second top single barrel for. There is a bit too much head space and to make it fit the way it should I was told that there would have to be metal added/welded into the hinge pin and connecting areas and then fitted to my existing receiver. That's why it would be best to have a good gunsmith look at the fit of a type 3 barrel to a non matching receiver to determine how much is required to make things right. I've shot the barrel and it works fine, but it isn't perfect and that's what Perazzi's should be.

Dan

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Can you mic the barrel ID? There is probably an 18-.4 on it, but it could have been back-bored.

Thanks.

Whiz

10. luvtrapguns

Whiz,

Barrel has a star (full?) followed by what looks like 18.5. The barrel has the "Seitz" stamped on the block. I do not know if that was for the porting or perhaps more. The forcing cone seems to be untouched, about the same length as my early TM1. My new bore guage will not arrive for a week or more.

Thanks, Marc

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Marc,

Here're the markings on your barrel:

One * is F~XF in Perazzi choke., 18.5 is your original bore in mm.(0.728"), MAP is Mfg. Armi Perazzi in Italian, 70 is chamber length in mm (2-3/4").

I can see your original barrel weight is 1.54 kg.

Once you have Seitz stamped on the monobloc, all above #s could change, nothing "could" be original.

The barrel under lug is type 3 for sure, that matched your ser. # range. You'll need a type 3 forend to fit the barrel onto an O/U receiver. Or, you can have a gunsmith rebuild the under lug to type 4, then you'll widen the match by 10 folds.

12. luvtrapguns

Steve,
    Thanks, Marc

13. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Dan,

If you ever want to correct the headspace or gap in the breech face, I can now do that. I've made fixtures to measure the existing hinge pin hooks on the bbls and fixtures to re-cut them after they've been welded up. The charge is $300 per bbl. I spoke with Giacomo's, and they charge around $1000 to replace the pins.

Changing the forend lug is not too big a deal...$75. The "most times" bigger part of the job comes into fitting the bbls to the receiver. Older bbls into older receivers take some time because of the older machining processes that were used. Even a newer bbl into an older receiver takes time. The older receivers tend to be tapered slightly on the inside walls.

Changing out the lug does not include rebluing the bbl.

Doug Braker

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Doug is a master of this..and you'll be happy with the outcome.. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi 70 barrel

perazzi barrel

perazzi changing barrels

perazzi trap barrel