1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Barrel Question???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bryce720, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

I recently got a Perazzi MX8 Type 3 gun. The gun is pristine, blueing, wear, top lever, fit and so on. I have shot the gun a few times and it shoots great. I was just getting ready to send it off for chokes and noticed something. Please see pics below. The pictures were taken on the muzzle end of the gun. The pics are of the 1st 3 sides ribs "ovals" from the muzzle end back toward the receiver. I can see solder, it is in between the barrels not on the side ribs. In other words it is touching center on bottom and top barrel connecting them in the center?? The last picture shows the side rib ovals without solder, just so you can get an idea?? I have no idea if this is something to be concerned with or not?? Has anyone else seen this, or does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks, Bryce

bryce720_2010_1907534.jpg

bryce720_2010_1907535.jpg

bryce720_2010_1907536.jpg

bryce720_2010_1907537.jpg

bryce720_2010_1907538.jpg

2. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Tend to Dought it made it's way Throught Q.C. that way..Does it Ring Solid..if so No Worries..Just Shoot and Enjoy..Great Guns..But You Know That. Shoot Well..Shoot Often with Family and or Good Friends. Bart

3. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

Thanks Bart, You really think it was made that way or do you think it was repaired??

Bryce

4. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

No..Was Repaired..would Not of made it thru Quality Control

5. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

I can understand re-soldering the side rib but why the bead of solder between the barrels??

Thanks

6. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

The solder you see is not uncommon. It is overflow from sweat soldering the side ribs in place. I doubt seriously that there was any aftermarket work done on the barrels pictured. I have found this on many o/u barrels. Even had a Browning in my shop that had a piece of solder that was loose and would rattle when the barrel was tilted up and down. Nothing to worry about.

Steve
    Fischer Gunsmithing

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bryce, such oops are what I call "Monday" guns. They can come from almost any manufacturer and it helps keep gunsmiths in business fixing the Monday screwups.

Hap

8. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Those barrels appear to be resoldered. The "oval" vents in the side rib are cut in after the barrels are soldered together, so if there are no tool marks on the solder near the "oval" vent, the solder was put there after cutting the vents.

It's common to have to resolder barrels several times on high end guns, as they do not all maintain proper regulation during the heating and cooling process; but they clean the tubes thoroughly before resoldering.

As previously stated, Perazzi quality control is much better than your example barrels. Should be ok enough for shooting though.

Regards, GAP

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Let me make my plea.... Please oh please don't send it out for screw ups.... Do you really need them? I have seen a number of Perazzi barrels especially of this vintage screwed up by having screw ups installed. Please think twice and think again before you screw up your barrel.

T

10. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

TBaber

I shoot Sporting Clays, Flyers, Skeet, International/Bunker all with these barrels so choke would be helpful to say the least.

11. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

Hi Bryce
    Just got to say I agree with TBaber. I live 5mins away from Briley in Aus and would really give it much thought before screwing for chokes. I have been around the game for over 50 years and have seen a lot of fine barrels stuffed by out of line after market chokes. Please do not think I am knocking Briley as they are a fine firm but there is a high risk factor which is entirely dependent on the machinist doing the job at the time.
    Barry

12. JT 27

JT 27 Member

I had a rib mfg. screw up bbl.s. First, the rib shot loose in 25 shots. The next round, the repaired rib shot 120% high. 3rd. he did not have any factory choke tube bbl.s and he put Briley tubes in a fixed choke bbl.. Shooting new shells the bbl split on the 28th shot. Upon inspection, the bbl. wall was under .010 thick on one side right at the treads and over .100 at 180% This was not done by Briley. Tap the ribs, side & top. You can tell if they are loose by the sound. If they are loose send them to a top notch gunsmith and expect to pay $500. If somebody tells you they can fix the ribs for $50., they may not shoot the same place.

13. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

JT 27
    Ribs are not loose in any way shape or form. That is what threw me off about the solder is where it was. If you stuck a ruler from straight through the oval shape (going from right to left side of the rib to the other side rib) and lets say it measured 1". The solder would be located at .5" not on the outsides toward the side ribs in the center, touching both bottom and top barrel??

14. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Buy another set of barrels if you need to change chokes. Skip the the choke tubes.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I've seen a load of Pbarrels. Never seen this out off the factory. I don't think I would accept one like that, even if it was a redo. Sloppy.

16. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

Bryce720,

Regarding Briley putting thin-walls in the older Perazzi barrrels ..... My sporting clays gun is an older Perazzi MX8 that was fixed choked. It has very thin barrel walls and the barrels are very close together where they meet at the muzzle. The bores are 0.724.

I had it threaded by Briley for their Series 1 flush chokes over five years ago and have been extremely happy with the results. No significant change of impact with any of the 8 choke tubes. No change in the balance or how the gun looks. Perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.