1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Barrel Pitting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark425, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

My father can no longer hunt and gave me his older Perazzi field gun. After giving it a through cleaning I noticed some minor (hopefully) pitting in the barrel. Other than that, its in great shape for a hunt gun.

I want to either have it polished out or if necessary backbored to remove the pitting. Was thinking about sending it to Wrights for the work. Anyone have experience using them for this type of work? Another recommendation that would be your choice?

Thanks shooters,

Mark

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mark....... Shoot it like it is. I will not hurt the gun, nor the patterns, if the pitting is minor. If it REALLY bugs you, send it to Doug Braker and have him hone the barrels for you..... Just my opinion... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Mark, my '63 superposed has some bore pitting. Never been an issue shooting clay targets..hmmmm maybe a new 'miss ' excuse!!

4. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

The pitting won't be an issue as far as shooting with modern ammo but if you plan on keeping it they are spots that will continue to rust and get worse as time goes on. There is just no way to get the inside of a pit way down the barrel spotless clean and oiled so it won't rust more. So I would have on of the good gunsmiths on here to hone and polish them out if possible.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Leave it be and just shoot it. I would run some nice patches soaked down with Rem oil or something after a good cleaning when your done shooting it. Enjoy it for now. You have the rest of your life to hone/overbore the barrels if you still want to do it in say 5 years or so. break em all Jeff

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I have an old W.W.Greener from 1885 with nitro proofed barrels, some small pitting inside the right barrel since who knows how long ago, had a gunsmith using barrel scope check the depth of those pitting, very shallow.

I've been shooting that gun for over 10 years as is, clean the bore with Breakfree "almost" every time I shot it. Last year I had the same gunsmith check the pitting for the second time before I sold it to a dealer, there're no changes.

I'm not suggesting anything here, but I think with minor pitting in modern steel barrels, I'd just clean it with rust proofing oil after I shoot. it should be fine.

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Thanks ...... Think I will hold off until I eventually send the gun in for service, then I will have it looked at.

Mark

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

When I bought my used TM-1 there was some barrel pitting.

I sent it to MoneyMaker and had it back bored and put in longer forcing cones and they re-choked it.

To this day, the inside of the barrel just gleams after I clean it.

They did a fantastic job on it and I would highly recommend them.

Hauxfan!

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Just shoot the gun. It will be OK. I have a very old Browning A5 that was my Dads and it had some small barrel pitting. I just clean it up with a scotch brite pad on a cleaning rod with a drill. It can out good. You can still see the pitting but it did not hurt the gun performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi barrel pitting