1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi barrel comparison 2 TMX guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

the gun on the right is my current shooter. A Wilkinson bbl TMX Special, .740 bore with .035 const. The TMX on the left is my daughter's and it has a standard bore 18.4/.725/Briley thinwall .032.
    [​IMG]
    I thought it would be interesting to compare shell speed (fps) so I made up 20 bullets I use for handicap. New (once fired) STS hull, 1-1/16 oz hard Rem 7.5s, Claybuster fig 8, 18.3 Clays, Win primer.
    [​IMG]
    Then I set up my ProChrono at the club, Minneapolis Gun Club, and fired 10 each across the screens.
    [​IMG]
    The results were interesting but the variance was less than I thought it would be. The 10 thru the standard bore TMX bbl averaged 1256 fps, and thru the Wilkinson bbl, 1271. 15 fps diff. If I get time today, I will toss out some highs and lows an see what the calculator says.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There is slightly less felt recoil with the Wilkinson bbl. I bought my TMX to sell (you may recall that), it did not, so I had it re-blued and decided to shoot it and see if it was a gun that might solve my ongoing shoulder issue. Abrasion got me with my MX3 an I do not know why this TMX does not. But that is the case. My daughter's gun is a made up gun form parts that cruised thru my door. The only matching numbers on the gun are the bbl and recvr. The stocks are form the same early "Special" era. She shoots her gun a bit more "heads-up" than I. Too she shoots her's at 60/40 and I at 100% POI. They shot some practice rounds as I watched their technique, and then I shot one round of 26 yard hcp and broke-em-all. I do seem to like the speed of the shells. For sure, I like the lessened recoil from the 1-1/16 oz shot.

Jack

2. JACK

Just a small factoid. When I put the stock on my daughter's gun, I adjusted the comb and butt pad to what i thought she would like. Adn she has yet to move it. She did think she was shooting a bit left because the big piece was going right. Thanks to Neil, I watched and saw that she was shooting strate. She shot for a year with a MX3. That gun punished her because it had a neutral stock. She like most of us needs cast off. This stock is much comfortable and she does not get any cheek bruising as he did with the neutral MX3. She was high-lady in the Vandalia hcp with a 98 using the MX3 tho.

3. JACK

I deducted the high and low on each set and the difference in FPS is now just 10 between the two bbls. 1258 to 1268. Had I known the results prior to spendin gmy time to do this, I would have shot another round or two of practice.

Eh?

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jack, that was interesting. Did you compare the patterns? Mike.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I used to shoot 1 1/16 oz loads all the time until Kent upped the price out of sight on them, then it was back to Remingtons ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jack, as you know I have an MX3 Single barrel back bored and with Briley chokes and my TMX with a .728 bore and factory Perazzi chokes. I had this notion that maybe it is easier to crossfire with the high rib TMX but I have not been able to verify that notion with actual scores. Both guns have about the same 80/20 POI but I can shoot the MX3 with the proverbial figure 8 sight picture and there is some space between the beads on the TMX. The universal barrel MX3 has more down slope on the rib and therefore the higher built in POI. The back bored MX3 has a little less felt recoil. I like my McDaniels leaf spring release trigger on the TMX better than the release on the MX3 because it is slower. For this reason only I continue to shoot the TMX for competition and the MX3 single barrel is a backup just in case. I still find that Soft Focus with a short pause in the Set Up phase is more productive than Hard Focus serious Stare with a longer pause in the Set Up phase. Thanks for your input on this.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Jack, you should have patterened ther two guns, my bet is on the Wilkison barrel b ut it would be a great comparison even though the two constricts are diff

8. JACK

Lou. I may. I agree that it would be interesting to this empirical test. I may.

Interestingly, the Wilkinson has a "tipped-up" choke, fixed at .035. How do I know? Cause I "peep sight" the bbl using a 20 ga brass w/o a primer. Wilkinson may come on and say no, but that is the way it appears to me. I may wait till Neil gets back into town and we can run my bbl on his paper and too compare it to his Wilkinson TM9AR that he is shooting right now. And the reason I like the 1-1/16th oz STS loads is that the hull gets filled up and looks like factory. First time thru the press anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.