1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi 35/34 vs 34/32 combos

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by flinter58, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

Would like to heard from some people that shoot the 35/34 RS Combo (for ATA Trap) as compared to the 34/32RS Combos....good .. bad... differences…..indifferent??

2. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I have a 34/32 RS combo. A friend has a 35/34 combo. If I closed my eyes and swung both guns I couldn't tell a difference. I've shot both guns and I still couldn't tell any difference.

I probably would buy the longer combo if I had it to do over again only because I am tall. I did notice that I had to be very careful with the longer combo as it had a tendency to touch the ground. Had it touched the ground Larry would have made sure that I would be unable to type this response:)

I think you'll be pleased with either choice.

Smash Em,

Jerry

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I had an opportunity recently to shoot a Perazzi MX-2000 34" O/U. Fantastic gun, but I felt the gun was too long and too slow to the target for my style of shooting. I'm 5'11" and pretty good size, but I still had trouble moving the gun the way I would have liked. I shoot a 32" DB-81 O/U for doubles and find it to be just perfect for me. A 30", on the other hand, is too fast and I have trouble being smooth with it. I think that it will all depend on your style of shooting and how you personally handle the gun. What works for us won't neccessarily be right for you. The best thing you can do is find someone that has one and try it. It's a huge investment that you don't want to take lightly......Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. Jerry944t

Just for the record Perazzi doesn't make a 32" barrel. It is 31.5". I am not sure if the 34" is the true length.

Another interesting fact was the 34" barrels weighed just about the same as my 32" barrels, at least according to the stampings on the barrels.

I thought the 34" moved just fine. As I said I couldn't detect a difference. Also I am 6'2" and I consciously had to avoid dragging the barrels on the ground so at 5'11" you might be happier with the shorter ones.

As was suggested you really need to play with both.

Jer

5. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

Thanks Jer - I am 6'1" so hopefully height would not be an issue. Are your 32" barrels CT or fixed choke? I have heard just what you reported - that the 34 inch barrels are thinner than the CT barrels - weight is about the same for the 34 as the 32 CT and that the balnace is better for the 34 as the CT barrels have a little extra weight at the end .......I look forward to hearing from others.

6. Jerry944t

Pappa my barrels are non choke tubed. If you are going to use the gun for trap only do yourself a favor and forget choke tubes. To me they are extraneous and a nuisance but that's my opinion.

More importantly, and this may have changed, but if you opt for factory choke tubes you cannot get the factory overbored barrels. Please advise me if I am wrong but that was the case when I bought my combo.

Of course you can send the factory overbored barrels out to Briley or Wilkinson for aftermarket choke tubes but it just isn't necessary in my opinion.

Jerry

7. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

Jerry I agree on the chokes - I like a high rib gun (love the unsingle) - like long barrels - and all having a CT barrel does is make you always wonder if you had (or have ) the right choke in it. Go open choke and miss - wish you had a tighter one - go tight choke and miss and wonder what about a more open choke - I like fixed chokes.

8. dcmulcahy

dcmulcahy Member

Jerry944t,
    Perazzi makes all kinds of true 32" barrels. Just gotta know what to ask for.
    I have three sets myself and no they are not 31.5".

Dan

9. randy-s

randy-s Member

Lets compare apples to apples. I own both, a MX10RS 34" O/U and a 34"/32" MX2000RS combo. Both are choked the same but the 2000 is ported. The so called 32" barrels are 31 1/2" in length while the 34" barrels are a true 34". Some feel the 34" O/U barrels are too heavy. I feel this is not the case. My MX 10 RS receiver with 34" barrels weighs in at 9.15 lb while the 31 1/2" barrels weigh in at 9.11 lb, a whopping 3 one hundredths of a pound difference. I can tell absolutely no difference in shooting either set on the same receiver and stock. I can not speak for the 35" single barrel as I do not own one. In conclusion, you asked good, bad, indifferent? In my humble opinion...indifferent. Try both, you will not regret it. Randy Shelton

10. Jerry944t

Thanks Dan, I was not aware of that. Everyone I've ever measured has been 31.5. Could you give me an example of P guns that measured a full 32". Just curious.

Cheers

Jerry

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

First, you can get overbored barrels with choke tubes. In fact, I believe 18.7 is now standard for everything.

I shoot a 35" unsingle and recently bought a set of 31.5" O/U barrels from Giacomo to make it a combo. I love the barrels, but the difference in sighting between the 35" and 31.5" barrels (each adjusted to shoot same POI on "paper") was enough to throw me off. I've spent the last 1,000 targets trying to get used to it. Where you put the bead in relation to the bird for a centered break is_different. I'm getting used to it, but I'm absolutely sure I'd rather have 34" barrels with the same feel.

12. Vulcan

Vulcan TS Member

I have shot a 10RS 34"/35" combo for five years. I took to the 35" right away but it took some adjustment for the 34" OU. I think there is a difference and would suggest you test each of them back to back. I also think there is an inherent problem with the side ribs on the OU. Mine have come loose twice and it is a $400 fix. Giacomo's manager said they have seen this problem on the 34" OU. Good Luck.

Don Rimmer

13. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

Thanks to all for their thoughts and input - if anyone else has experience I would like to hear about it-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.