1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi 34"/35" Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JGS, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JGS

JGS Member

Perazzi 34

I tried one of the Perazzi long barrel guns today and I was surprised at how light the gun felt and how easily it moved. Two practice rounds really don't tell the story so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these guns they could pass along. Is the 34" O/U a good doubles gun,and how does the 35" barrel handle singles, etc.? It seems these guns were the "talk of the town" when they first came out and I don't hear much about them now. Thanks.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Perazzi 34

" . . .I don't hear much about them now."

Neil

3. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Perazzi 34

i have a 35" mx2000 unsingle that i got at the penn. state shoot when they first came out. The gun is great. First full season i shot it, my handicap average from 26-27 went up to 91%. Gun handles great. I use it for 16s and caps. use a mx10 32" for dbls. What the 35" does for me is to smooth out my swing, and i dont jump targets as easily.

good luck, puablo

4. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Perazzi 34

i have a 35" mx2000 unsingle that i got at the penn. state shoot when they first came out. The gun is great. First full season i shot it, my handicap average from 26-27 went up to 91%. Gun handles great. I use it for 16s and caps. use a mx10 32" for dbls. What the 35" does for me is to smooth out my swing, and i dont jump targets as easily.

good luck, puablo

5. cowsranchers

cowsranchers TS Member

Perazzi 34

I have a 16 year old boy that has shot a 35 unsingle for a year real well , just went to a 35-34 combo . He shot a 95 in sngles to day and a 97 in doubles , wasjust his 3rd regetered shoot with it , Bryan

6. JGS

JGS Member

Perazzi 34

Neil, I'm curious. I understand you're a Perazzi man, and I think I understand your posting, but I was wondering if you have you shot one of these guns? I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

7. Neil Winston

Perazzi 34

I've shot the 34-inch O/U with an eye to buying the set if I liked them. Everyone here seems to be _way_ more sensitive to all aspects of this kind of thing than I am, but I passed them up since they seemed to be about like everything else.

Neil

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Perazzi 34

Even though I'm smaller than the average trap shooter, I prefer the 35". You have to compare apples to apples, though. If you are comparing same weight, same profile, same rib fixed choke barrels in 34" and 35", the 35" will move a tad slower, a tad more smoothly and point a little but more accurately. The 35" was a big, welcomed change from my 34", but that barrel had been modified. I've subsequently shot several unmidified 34" (same everything) and the difference is a tad here, a tad there. If I were buying new it would be a 35". If I owned one of the later 34s I shot, I would not change just for the extra inch.

I shoot doubles with borrowed barrels, so I get to try several types. When I get an O/U set for my new gun, it will not be longer than 32".

9. JGS

JGS Member

Perazzi 34

Anyone else out there with experience with these barrels? Thanks for the input.

10. Neil Winston

Perazzi 34

I don't know why Perazzi BB didn't make the point he usually (correctly) does. If you think something will make you shoot better, it will. If you are going to spend the next year on the line thinking "Maybe I should have bought the other one" then you are way better off buying "the other one" - which I suspect is the maxi set - right now and eliminate the trade next year.

Neil

11. JGS

JGS Member

Perazzi 34

Well, my scenerio is a bit different than suggested above. I've shot a Perazzi Grand Italia forever. Giacomo has rebuilt it three times! It breaks 16 yards and doubles very well. It's not the ideal gun for handicap. I bought an unsingle barrel for it but it had a steel rib, was too heavy, and I got rid of it. Being a trapshooter, and understanding that if you get a gun like the big guys use, surely one can shoot like them (sic), I bought a beautiful K-80 Super Scroll combo last Fall. It didn't have much recoil compared to my Grand Italia and I started shooting the unsingle reasonably well right away. The O/U barrels were 32" with fixed chokes, and I never could get the hang of shooting doubles with them, so I sent them off to one of the best known barrel smiths to make sure it was tuned to the last degree. Still no luck. I then bought a set of 30" barrels thinking that, at my age, perhaps I needed a little less weight in the barrels. I set up the POIs the same as my Perazzi. I shot doubles better but still not up to my Grand Italia standards. Having spent 7 months working with the K-80 has pretty much convinced me that the difference between the K-80 and the Perazzi are such that, for better or worse, I'm a Perazzi guy. I was going to go back to my Grand Italia (thank goodness I didn't get rid of it) and hope Giacomo can keep it going when one of the shooters at my club said he had a Perazzi 2000 with the longer, lightweight barrels and would I like to try it. I did, and althought the sight picture is quite different from the step rib picture of my Grand Italia, it moved smoothly. I could only shoot singles with it and didn't get to try it on doubles. The club had already changed the doubles trap back to singles. I therefore decided to ask my question here and see what you folks thought of the longer barrels. I'm going to try out the new Perazzis with more convential barrel lengths and see how I like them. I really can't be accused of jumping from gun to gun as I've shot my Grand Italis for more than 25 years, but it's starting to look a bit worn. But then again, so is its owner. Any and all ideas from current and former Perazzi owners abut the current Perazzi offerings gratefully accepted.

12. bigben

bigben Active Member

Perazzi 34

Jg my experience with the longer-barreled P guns the best combo for me is a 35in top single and the 32 in. O/U, under ideal conditions the 34 o/u in. for doubles me worked well, but in windy conditions with the targets helter-skelter, my comfort level with the 32 in. o/u was much higher, consequently, my mx-10 combo is 35/32., my Seitz is 35 also. hopes this helps incinerate em!

13. oh_jdw

oh_jdw TS Member

Perazzi 34

Have you checked the trigger pull weight between the krieghoff and perazzi. A lot of shooters start to shoot under/behind targets if their trigger pull starts to lighten up. You set up the krieghoff with the same point of impact as the perazzi. Between the swing dynamics and trigger differences of the 2 guns, perhaps the point of impact needs adjusted to how the kreighoff responds to your shooting. A common example is when a shooter switches to a silver seitz, he/she usually ends up setting up the gun to shoot a much higher point of impact than they thought they would need. My 2cents. Good luck in your decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.