1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi 12ga. SCO vs. SC3

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HotRodA10, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

I'm considering purchasing a Perazzi SCO or SC3 in 12ga with a tube set. I'm currently shooting a Standard MX8, and would like to upgrade to a nicer gun. My question is; is there a difference between the SCO and SC3 models? If there are differences, I would like to choose the best gun for all around clay bird shooting, i.e skeet, sporting clays, & trap. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rod

2. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Rod, Happy 4th of July to you. All Good questions...and I am sure will Bring ALL Kinds of Replies. The guns are ALL the same...only differ with reguards to the amount of Embellishment and MONEY Spent. As for the difference between SC3 and SCO, It's All About ..The Money. Shoot Well.. Shoot Often, Bart

3. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Thank you Bart for your reply. I've looked at A LOT of examples of both guns and the only differences I can tell externally, are various game scenes, and different scroll engraving patterns. Obviously, I will choose one with a game scene I like, but are there any internal differences? Are the SC3s a newer model as they seem to command a slightly higher price? I've narrowed my choice down to 2-3 guns I've found, and the prices on both are reasonable and are within $300-$400 of each other. With that being said, my decision will probably boil down to any other differences between the two models if there are any. Thanks.

Rod

4. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Rod, New SCO Guns will be more than New SC3 guns.. Thus My thought is that SCO guns will bring Higher 2nd . hand Prices as well. Game scene Art work Always brings more than all Scroll, Good Luck and Good Shooting, Bart

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The difference between SC3 & SCO is the level of engravings, gold plated trigger parts and woods. Mechanically they are the same.

SCO will have multiple figures in their game scene engraving patterns, gold trigger parts and higher grade wood, at a noticeable higher price.

If you see a SCO at lower price, it could be an older model, type 3 or type 2 gun.

I suggest you find a factory catalogue, they list all engraving patterns. Have fun selecting your new gun.

Here's a picture showing a SC3 & a SCO trigger from two of my Sporting guns.

stevew_2008_0303.jpg

6. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Excellent, thank you Steve. The SCO I'm looking at is actually cheaper than the the SC3s I've found. The butt stock wood is a cheaper version and has a recoil compensating system in it which I like, but the forearm wood is nice. If I understand correctly, the only way to tell if it is a type 2, 3, or 4 gun is by the forearm iron and barrel lug; is that right? Are there serial number cutoffs/transitions where the types changed?

Rod

7. Steve W

The published ser.# cut off between type 3 & 4 is 51242, but this has been challenged by some people before. To add fuel to the fire, ser. #s on barrel flat can be changed to match receiver, so the best way to distinguish the two is by looking at the lug & forend.

Here're foreands:

stevew_2008_030315.jpg

And barrel under lug/forend:

stevew_2008_030339.jpg

8. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Wow, you are good, great pics!! You must either have a few of these guns or you have access to a good picture portfolio. This helps alot. Do you happen to know what year, or what serial numbers started to use the type 4 barrels and forearms? I know, I'm asking a lot of questions.

Rod

9. Steve W

It was 1977, type 4 started on 51243.

Yes, I took these pictures myself, using a $99 camera and natural light from the window next to my desk, if it's night time, I use desk light, that doesn't work very well. And it's a pain to line up guns on the desk to get the right light. Since I got them, might as well show off a little. :)

Here're some of my guns we talked about. SC3, SCO, Extra, & another SC3.

stevew_2008_030324.jpg

My favorite 20GA not in the above picture,

stevew_2008_03032.jpg

10. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Holy Cow, what do you do for a living??? I might have to change careers!!!! Very nice collection. I take it you aren't a Krieghoff guy. Here are a few pics of the SCO I'm considering.

hotroda10_2011_230142.jpg

hotroda10_2011_230143.jpg

hotroda10_2011_230144.jpg

11. Steve W

K what?

12. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

I thought so....no bias there.

13. decimamas 54

decimamas 54 Active Member

Steve is right, the only difference between SC3 adn SCO is the type of engraving and wood, for this reason the price of SCO is almost double SC3.
    In Italy the cost is
    MX8 € 6.060,00 = $ 9090.00 USD;
    SC3 € 10.880,00 = $ 16.320.00 USD
    SCO € 16.800,00 = $ 25.200.00 USD

14. Steve W

Seems you found a very reputable dealer here in CA. You'll get good service from them. Don't worry too much if the barrel is a little shorter than current trend, you can always fit another on your receiver, and even have the ser. # filled and re-stamped if you want.

15. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

What would this be?
    claybrdr_2008_0303121.jpg

claybrdr_2008_0303122.jpg

16. Steve W

An after market upgrade. Most likely by an American engraver.

17. Steve W

Speaking about after market job, this is the absolutely best I've ever encountered on a Perazzi, it exceeded all factory issued engravings, with this gun in present, I just can't bring out my factory Extra grade. :)

Non of my Fabbris, or H&H can match this, only a custom ordered pair of Abbiatico Salvinelli 20/28 ga I saw years ago came close to it.

This stunning art work belonged / belongs to two of my good friends, original and current owner.

stevew_2008_03034.jpg

The beauty is not only the work, it's the taste of it. I've seen many obscene guns filled with way too much gold and figures poorly arranged in one picture. Money can't buy taste.

ps. The picture was taken on my friend's kitchen table with sunset outside the window, using my $99 camera.

Sorry for the off topic post, I'll delete them later.

18. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Beautiful guns. Seems like you know of the SCO I'm referring to; what is your opinion of that gun? I'm a little concerned because if you zoom in on their picture of the receiver bottom, it appears the sides on the bottom might have a little pitting on it. I wonder if I can have it engraved out? If you know or hear of any other used SCOs available for a reasonable price, please let me know or refer the person to me. I don't want to spend over $10,000 which limits my choices but that is the budget I have to work with. I would be willing to trade my Standard MX8 with Briley lightweight sub-tubes and some cash.

Rod

19. Steve W

Rod, my wife just called, I should be getting ready to a party at friend's house, so I'll make it short for now.

I don't know that particular gun, but I know where it's at, haven't been there for a few month, I suspect it's an older gun with shorter barrel. You'll have to take that gun in your hand to check the pitting marks on the metal. From what I can see in the pictures, it doesn't look bad, you probably can polish it out.

It's not impossible but not easy to find a SCO under $10,000 usually you'll find a SC3 for that.

They are a very reputable dealer, one of the best for these guns. If you are not in L.A., I'll check up that gun for you next time I'm there. (it's 45 minutes away from me)

20. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Thanks Steve,

I'm in Las Vegas. That gun was also listed on their SOLD list a little while back and I'm also wondering what that is about. The last time I called, they told me they would let it go for $8,995. As I might have to replace the stock, I'm thinking something around $8,000 might be a good offer. Have fun at your party and thanks for all your help.

Rod

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
perazzi sc

perazzi sc3

perazzi sco

perazzi sco engraving patterns
perazzi sco model
perazzi sco review
wechselchokes perazzi
wot model is a sc3 perazzi